Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 20, 2019 8:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Noisy New Refrigerators
PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 12:24 am 

We spent serious time looking for new refrigerators. Since we kept all of the documentation for our twenty year old Whirlpool (about 21 cubic feet, classic freezer on top and fridge on bottom), we thought it would be a simple matter to find a new one. Not so.

The noise pollution caused by some brand new refrigerators is very annoying -- we bring our own extension cord to the showroom. Not just the volume of sound but also the type of sound. Unlike most other large appliances that are only in use for a limited time, the fridge operates day and night.

We need to find something quiet. Not stuck on Whirlpool or any of its brands -- Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, etc. Any comments on noisy brand new (what to avoid) and quiet brand new (what to get) refrigerators are most welcome.

Regards,
Curly

Post subject: Re: Noisy New Refrigerators
PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 12:36 am 

Don't know yet, we were supposed to have ours delivered Monday, they called Sunday night and said they unboxed it and it is damaged beyond use so they had to order a replacement :x Meanwhile the food in the old fridge is going bad

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 12:47 am 

Have you tried Consumer Reports? I don't know what they have to offer right now, but that would be the first place I would look. Your library hopefully has a subscription. Or, perhaps, someone here has one and would be willing to look it up.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 3:00 am 

Is it not worth getting your current one fixed? Anyway, I would simply do a Google search for refrigerator reviews.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 3:19 am 

Curly wrote:
Not stuck on Whirlpool or any of its brands -- Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, etc. Any comments on noisy brand new (what to avoid) and quiet brand new (what to get) refrigerators are most welcome.

Whirlpool does make Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Ignis, Indesit, and Consul. So all the brands you listed--they're Whirlpools in disguise.

My current fridge is a Sears Kenmore from 2012, probably also made by Whirlpool, and it makes a few odd noises now and then and is Energy Star compliant and it doesn't bother me. I'm only in the kitchen when I'm cooking. I also have very acute hearing. I can hear owls hooting in the woods at night with my windows closed. The fridge noise doesn't bother me. You should look at your local public library for Consumer Reports and see what they say about noise if that concerns you.

Years ago I was at Lowe's dishwasher shopping once and noticed that the Whirlpool and KitchenAid dishwashers both came in the exact same cardboard box on the outside, which was a big hint. I went home and decided to have my old Hobart KitchenAid Superba fixed and it's still working at 34 years old.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 4:44 am 

Our old refrigerator needs a new compressor, which will cost more than a new equivalent appliance.

For those that haven't purchased a new refrigerator in a while, be aware that noise is a very common complaint. I too remember those old designs that ran whisper quiet, year after year. After converting my laptop to a solid state drive, it is really nice to hear a whole lot of nothing (no whirring hard drive), except for the occasional fan. Now it's time for a quieter refrigerator.

I have not seen reviews that take into account the spectral distribution of the refrigerator noise – what bothers one person may not bother another person. Just ask your wife.

Yes, Whirlpool does make a bevy of other brands -- with Whirlpool parts. That was my point.

Has anyone bought any 2019 refrigerators that were extra quiet or extra noisy to their ears?

Regards,
Curly

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 12:01 pm 

Our 2006 Bosch refrigerator is pretty darn quiet. It was advertised as being quiet which was the main reason we bought it. It's actually made by Daewoo but I don't know if they still are. Never had a problem with it and the original ice maker is still going strong.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 1:46 pm 

We got a new Whirlpool this past January, a nice unit. But 5 months later, the compressor starts making noise. Under warranty, so no worries there. But you would think a compressor would last a few years. Our old one was 12 years old before it's compressor started giving out.
RW

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 4:01 pm 

Re: Noisy Refirs : Do manufacturers of Refrigerators list their Dba sound levels
in their Specs? (as do dish washers).

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 4:57 pm 

A few years ago, I bought a basic 21 cubic foot Whirlpool refrigerator. Top freezer, and really basic. No computerized anything. It is built nothing like the old 21 cubic foot Whirlpool that it replaced, but I haven't had any problems with it. I don't notice any noise coming from it either. I bought it on sale at Loews and I think after rebates it was only about 6 or 7 hundred bucks. It is white, and looks fine to me. This won't work for someone who wants to be impressed with high tech but for me, I'd rather keep the money and not repair the high tech when it breaks. And from the reviews I've read, that stuff can be a nightmare.

I'm now shopping for a new washer to replace my current 14 year old Maytag that needs new bearings, and that is not covered by CenterPoint energy appliance contract. I've spent hours on this, and after all is said and done, and leaning towards a new Maytag commercial/residential model that is as basic as can be. It's about $800.00. More than many other models would cost, but this should be built better, has less high tech in it, and I would expect more life our of it. If you get curious, read the reviews on new washers. They are causing lots of frustration to users because they don't get the clothes clean all the time, and they take a long time to run a cycle. The manufacturers respond that they are forced to meet water usage requirements and energy efficiency. So now, doing laundry is more work and time, and these complex machines act up with mixed repair results. No thank you.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 8:01 pm 

We bought a no frills Frigidaire last fall. The fan and compressor are quiet, but the coolant plays a symphony of gurgles, groans and belches. Apparently this is a common but harmless problem. Adding a small amount of nitrogen to the system supposedly cures the issue, but can also cause other problems down the road. Since our kitchen isn't within direct earshot of the rest of the house, it doesn't bother us. The refrigerator works great, and is remarkably energy efficient, so we just live with it. I can see where it might be an issue to some folks though.

Dan

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 9:17 pm 

Six or seven years ago we bought a new Samsung fridge which was advertised as having the quietest motor in the business. I think that may really be true, or was at that time, because it is extremely quiet. Definitely worth a look (or listen) if noise is a concern.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 5:51 pm 

A couple of years ago I bought a Samsung frig, and it really is quiet, except for one minor thing. It is up against a wall, and on the other side of the wall is a bathroom. Sometime in the bathroom it sounds or feels like a truck must be close by. Can't figure it out as it seems below hearing frequency, but I can sense it. Really not a problem since that is not a room I spend a lot of time in, but it is just a sound that I say to myself "What is that ?". But in the kitchen, I never hear anything from the frig (unless I leave the door open and get the beep beep alarm),

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 8:55 pm 

One of the best descriptions of new refrigerator reliability that I could find was written by a veteran home appliance repair technician – “poor to awful”. I am not trying to be funny.

We found a LG that fit our needs and that was really quiet. Glowing reviews. Right size, right features, right price. Ready to buy. Then we saw the class action lawsuit against LG. Full stop.

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/cl ... ompressors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxNooNBSZ34

Notice the replacement refrigerator brand – Whirlpool. The saga continues.

Regards,
Curly

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:10 pm 

Quote:
A couple of years ago I bought a Samsung frig, and it really is quiet, except for one minor thing. It is up against a wall, and on the other side of the wall is a bathroom. Sometime in the bathroom it sounds or feels like a truck must be close by. Can't figure it out as it seems below hearing frequency, but I can sense it. Really not a problem since that is not a room I spend a lot of time in, but it is just a sound that I say to myself "What is that ?". But in the kitchen, I never hear anything from the frig (unless I leave the door open and get the beep beep alarm),

I don't know if yours is the same but ours has a variable speed motor in it. The 'computer' figures out how much cooling is needed and adjusts the compressor speed accordingly. Probably a good system that extends the life of the compressor (we'll see) and saves energy, but at certain speeds the vibrations can set the dishes in the cupboard to rattling, at other speeds that doesn't happen. Usually it's just a matter of finding the offending piece and moving it to quiet it down.

Quote:
One of the best descriptions of new refrigerator reliability that I could find was written by a veteran home appliance repair technician – “poor to awful”. I am not trying to be funny.

Unfortunately, it's not just refrigerators. Stoves, washers, dryers, dishwashers, built-in microwaves, even central air conditioning are all subject to the same thing. Long ago when somebody bought a substantial house, they usually stayed in it for most of their careers, maybe for life. It was also not unheard of for houses to get passed along from one family generation to the next who would continue to live there. So major appliances were typically built for average lives of 25-30 years with only minor repairs, or no repairs at all. Today the average family is in a house 10 years or less before they move on, and major appliances are typically left behind for the next owners, so most appliance manufacturers do not see any point in making them last longer than a decade or so. I am trying to keep my old Lady Kenmore laundry appliances going as long as possible because the next ones are going to cost a lot more and last a lot less, no matter what I get.

Thomas A. Edison

Last edited by Chris108 on Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:17 pm 

Quote:
has a variable speed motor in it. The 'computer' figures out how much cooling is needed and adjusts the compressor speed accordingly. Probably a good system that extends the life of the compressor (we'll see) and saves energy, but at certain speeds the vibrations can set the dishes in the cupboard to rattling, at other speeds that doesn't happen. Usually it's just a matter of finding the offending piece and moving it to quiet it down.

BINGO, I bet that is what makes mine create subsonic noise/vibration.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 6:04 pm 

Perhaps ten years ago I bought a generic small refrigerator for medical supplies; the noise initially drove me nuts but eventually the noise faded into the background and was further attenuated do to my failing hearing.

I fully understand the OP's issue. The only way to be guaranteed of low noise is to bring your extension cord and measure the noise with a sound level app in a phone.

"It's always darkest before it's pitch black"

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 6:12 pm 

It's not only refrigerators. A couple of years ago we decided to replace an old Amana Radar Range microwave. It still worked, but after 25 years or so, it had just lost power. We read the reviews and bought a Sharp. It works well, but is it ever noisy! The only saving grace is that, unlike a fridge, it doesn't run all the time. The old Amana was built like a tank and would rate in the boat anchor class. The Sharp is so light that we have to re-square it with the counter top every few days because just closing the door on it causes the off hinge side to move.
John

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 6:15 pm 

While looking for quiet refrigerator compressors, I found this sound bite of a LG compressor that may interest some readers. This is from the official LG web site, go to item #6:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-h ... ther-noise

I have not been able to find a good sound bite of a Samsung refrigerator compressor in action. If you know of a good source, please chime in.

Regards,
Curly

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 9:25 pm 

Curly wrote:
While looking for quiet refrigerator compressors, I found this sound bite of a LG compressor that may interest some readers. This is from the official LG web site, go to item #6:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-h ... ther-noise

I have not been able to find a good sound bite of a Samsung refrigerator compressor in action. If you know of a good source, please chime in.

Regards,
Curly

Good grief! Those LG clips sound like a machine shop within a Chinese restaurant kitchen . . .

Dan

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 36 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next