Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 19, 2019 11:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Noisy New Refrigerators
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 9:26 pm 

Curly wrote:
While looking for quiet refrigerator compressors, I found this sound bite of a LG compressor that may interest some readers. This is from the official LG web site, go to item #6:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-h ... ther-noise

I have not been able to find a good sound bite of a Samsung refrigerator compressor in action. If you know of a good source, please chime in.

Regards,
Curly

Good grief! Those LG clips sound like a machine shop within a Chinese restaurant kitchen . . .

Dan

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 2:23 am 

well our new fridge just got delivered, 9:00PM 2 weeks after we ordered it and on the 4th attempt to deliver it is in the kitchen getting cold (I hope) it is a Frigidaire freezer on top, it is no louder than the 1998 Kenmore it replaced but the sound is a higher pitch

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 7:46 pm 

I replaced my 1989 Kenmore refrigerator with another Kenmore several years ago. The newer one is much noisier than my old one was. I found out this one is made by Frigidaire, not by Whirlpool as I thought all Kenmores were. My next one will be an actual Whirlpool, since theirs are all made in USA still if I read things correctly.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 5:31 pm 

Update: the fridge has been running for a few days now and the wife is satisfied with it. I, however, cannot leave well enough alone. Earlier I mentioned a higher pitch noise that is no louder than the old Kenmore, well what I found out is that noise carries through the house so I can stand anywhere in the house and tell you if the refrigerator is running or not. Not loud enough to be annoying but noticeable. (considering the amount of hearing loss I have developed over the years, the fact that I can hear it clearly says something)

I decided to have a look-see, first thing I found is the rear of the box does not have the old school condenser coil sticking out like I am used to, just a flat sheet of galvanized sheet metal with a (already warped) piece of cardboard held on with 3 screws at the bottom.

when I removed the cover, I found that the condenser is now squished into about a .5 cubic foot square and stuffed under the fridge with a plastic fan dragging air over it. the cardboard shield has openings at each end and is supposed to force the air in through one side, across the condenser, across the compressor and out through openings in the other side. with all of the openings across the top due to warping, it does not do this very efficiently.

first I focused on the compressor, though the high pitch seemed to come from it, when I isolated it's sound (screwdriver on the compressor and against my ear) all I got was the sound of an ordinary compressor running. I then focused on the fan but it just makes fan sounds and does not run fast enough to make this sound. there is really not much else under there so I was stumped.

then I started putting my finger on different areas to see if I could dampen the sound and suddenly while my finger was on the compressor, the high pitch sound stopped momentarily. I tried touching it again but with no luck. then I put my finger on the U shaped suction tube running behind the compressor and the sound stopped.

a carefully placed small piece of styrofoam and the sound stopped, it sounds like a normal refrigerator now.

I plan to replace the cardboard shield with sheet metal some time in the future to close up the airflow some. it is rather obvious that the air openings will have to be cleaned on a rather regular basis as they were rather crudely opened up and had already sucked in some dust and cat hair.

Hope that helps

Attachments:
2019_0615_11331000.jpg
2019_0615_11331000.jpg [ 147.34 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]
2019_0615_11261700.jpg
2019_0615_11261700.jpg [ 144.87 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]
2019_0615_11280200.jpg
2019_0615_11280200.jpg [ 229.41 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]
2019_0615_11234700.jpg
2019_0615_11234700.jpg [ 220.67 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]
2019_0615_11241400.jpg
2019_0615_11241400.jpg [ 201.22 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]
2019_0615_11332300.jpg
2019_0615_11332300.jpg [ 221.58 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:13 pm 

Good on you to investigate and figure it out! I had a similar problem at a rental house, with the plumbing making racket. Come to find out it was two pipes rubbing against one another. The plumber spaced them just apart and the noise stopped. Sometimes the simplest solution will work.
A cardboard backing on the fridge? OMG, how cheap can they get? Maybe replace it with a sheet of Masonite.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:16 pm 

cl350rr wrote:
Update: the fridge has been running for a few days now and the wife is satisfied with it. I, however, cannot leave well enough alone. Earlier I mentioned a higher pitch noise that is no louder than the old Kenmore, well what I found out is that noise carries through the house so I can stand anywhere in the house and tell you if the refrigerator is running or not. Not loud enough to be annoying but noticeable. (considering the amount of hearing loss I have developed over the years, the fact that I can hear it clearly says something)

I decided to have a look-see, first thing I found is the rear of the box does not have the old school condenser coil sticking out like I am used to, just a flat sheet of galvanized sheet metal with a (already warped) piece of cardboard held on with 3 screws at the bottom.

when I removed the cover, I found that the condenser is now squished into about a .5 cubic foot square and stuffed under the fridge with a plastic fan dragging air over it. the cardboard shield has openings at each end and is supposed to force the air in through one side, across the condenser, across the compressor and out through openings in the other side. with all of the openings across the top due to warping, it does not do this very efficiently.

first I focused on the compressor, though the high pitch seemed to come from it, when I isolated it's sound (screwdriver on the compressor and against my ear) all I got was the sound of an ordinary compressor running. I then focused on the fan but it just makes fan sounds and does not run fast enough to make this sound. there is really not much else under there so I was stumped.

then I started putting my finger on different areas to see if I could dampen the sound and suddenly while my finger was on the compressor, the high pitch sound stopped momentarily. I tried touching it again but with no luck. then I put my finger on the U shaped suction tube running behind the compressor and the sound stopped.

a carefully placed small piece of styrofoam and the sound stopped, it sounds like a normal refrigerator now.

I plan to replace the cardboard shield with sheet metal some time in the future to close up the airflow some. it is rather obvious that the air openings will have to be cleaned on a rather regular basis as they were rather crudely opened up and had already sucked in some dust and cat hair.

Hope that helps

You just voided the warrranty. :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:20 pm 

processhead wrote:

If he has to call for warranty service, all he has to do is return it to normal first, so it doesn't appear tampered with.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:43 pm 

fifties wrote:
processhead wrote:

If he has to call for warranty service, all he has to do is return it to normal first, so it doesn't appear tampered with.

Just kidding. :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:46 pm 

processhead wrote:
fifties wrote:
processhead wrote:

Just kidding. :wink:

I know you were, but it is a valid point. He doesn't want it to look tampered with, if he does have to call for service.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:09 pm 

processhead wrote:

Meh, careless packing left a bit of styro adrift in the rear of my fridge and it got caught there :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 12:45 am 

An update on the quiet refrigerator hunt.

On our trip to the local library, we researched Consumer Reports. The top CR picks for quiet fridges include LG and Samsung.

As mentioned in a previous post, the class action lawsuit against LG brought us to a full stop with this manufacturer. Maybe all product and customer service problems have been fixed by now, maybe not. Look at Kia and Hyundai in their early days. Their reputation for poor product quality and poor customer service forced them to offer an incredible warranty. Even so, their cars broke and left people stranded. It took years for Kia and Hyundai to improve their reputation. If anyone can show that LG has fixed their product quality and customer service, please do let us know.

That leaves Samsung. At best, the reports for reliability are inconsistent. Some sources say thumbs up, some sources say thumbs down. Like LG, the problem with Samsung seems to be their customer service – long delays for parts and a serious lack of competent service technicians. If anyone has service experience with Samsung refrigerators, please do let us know.

There is also the topic of extended warranties.

The statistics show that most new refrigerators are much less reliable than the old tried and true models. As a result, new warranties are extremely skimpy. In my opinion, service and extended warranties should now be important factors during a purchase. For most large appliance sellers, there is no longer any skin in the game. Liability is offloaded onto the manufacturer and/or the third party warranty company. Good for the seller, bad for the buyer.

When it comes to reliability ratings, I ignore all marketing claims. My technical experience has proven that an inspection of service logs tells all. Usually, only an independent service center can or will share such information. Good luck trying to get this data. Here is my source:

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/8633 ... t-reliable -appliance-brands
https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/8042 ... s-worth-it

Special note. “Do not buy an extended warranty from any company without a service department”. If possible, very good advice. However, this is definitely no easy feat in modern times.

Here is where we are right now. LG and Samsung – we like the features but do not like the parts and service network.
Whirlpool – we like the parts and service network but do not like the features.

One bright spot. We discovered that a new library card allowed us to view Consumer Reports online at the library and at home.

Your comments are most welcome.

Regards,
Curly

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 1:04 am 

The way I purchase things nowadays is to do a Google search of REVIEWS. Now some of them are skewed with fake, paid for + reviews. I never read the 4 and 5 star reviews, but rather the 1 and 2 star posts, and want to see a balance of over 75% 4 and 5 star, vs less than 25% 1 and 2 star. This strategy has worked well for me.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 7:39 pm 

fifties wrote:
The way I purchase things nowadays is to do a Google search of REVIEWS. Now some of them are skewed with fake, paid for + reviews. I never read the 4 and 5 star reviews, but rather the 1 and 2 star posts, and want to see a balance of over 75% 4 and 5 star, vs less than 25% 1 and 2 star. This strategy has worked well for me.
Exactly what I do. This is so second nature to me that I didn't mention it in my posts.

Regards,
Curly

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 10:45 pm 

Curly,

I don't want to see you get hosed like we did! We purchased Consumer Reports' top-rated Samsung RT18M6215SR fridge (this model has the freezer on top; the larger RT21Mxxxxxxx is similar). When I saw it in the store I wasn't too crazy about the internal shelf layout at first, but the outside looked beautiful and it seemed to be well constructed. Unfortunately, this purchase turned out to be a BIG mistake.

I really wanted to like this thing but it would not go below 45 degrees for the first 3 days after delivery, even with the cooling set to maximum (the "Power Cool" setting did nothing). Samsung phone support's suggestions to reset and test the control panel, cycle AC power for one minute, etc. had no effect whatsoever. The crispers also did not get cold enough. Warming elements along the sides of the front opening of the fridge (probably there to reduce humidity and/or external condensation) likely contributed to this.

Samsung balked at replacing the fridge and insisted on sending out a repair tech. I was stunned that this would be required for a brand-new fridge and refused the offer. I don't think a new appliance should require repairs before you can even use it! We ended up returning the fridge to the store. This was an expensive lesson, both in time and loss of food. I highly recommend that you NOT buy this turkey. I don't know how the other Samsung models are but my interaction with them was frustrating at best, so I probably would not buy another one of their appliances.

We now have a new General Electric GTS18GSSHMRSS fridge. It works well and gets VERY cold. It's not as quiet as the Samsung but I don't consider it to be particularly noisy. In fact, I think it's actually a little quieter than the venerable 40 year old Kenmore that it replaced. It also strikes me as being reasonably well made. Having looked at lots of fridges, I wouldn't worry so much about noise. I would pay more attention to the quality of the actual item and try to assess it's functionality and repair-ability...

Does the door have replaceable gaskets? Many are now permanently attached to the doors. I also recommend getting a fridge that uses "old school" tech with minimal electronics; there will just be less to go wrong. Look for a user-removable back cover over the compressor and fan so that it can be cleaned (vacuumed out) as needed. A surprising number of modern units do not allow for this.

BTW, stainless doors look great but can be hard to clean and show fingerprints like crazy. Some models now offer "slate" or other painted versions. If I were to do this again, I would get one of those instead, even if it was just the door itself that was painted.

Box

Last edited by box13 on Jun Sat 22, 2019 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 10:57 pm 

When I bought this house from the previous owner, there was a Stainless Steel Samsung fridge here, one of those French door, plus two drawers. That thing went belly up when I was in Australia. When I got home, my cousin who was looking after the house told me that I must have a dead rat in the attic. It was the rancid freezer compartment! I guess he never opened the fridge. The smell would not go away.

Now, I have an LG. It is quiet and works very well. I guess what I don't like is that the alarm (when the door is open too long) gets reset every time there is a power interruption. But I have had it for a few years now and I will NEVER buy a Samsung. I have had good luck with everything LG.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 9:15 pm 

With large appliances, many people often forget about the issue of returns.

Lowe's (#1 large appliance retailer by sales) is 30 days, Home Depot (#2 large appliance retailer by sales) is only 48 hours and Best Buy (#3 large appliance retailer by sales) is 15 days. In fact, many smaller stores charge a 20-30% restocking fee. If a problem develops after your grace period, it could be much harder to fix.

So, be aware of the specific return policy, in print.

Regards,
Curly

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 36 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2