Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 23, 2019 11:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good Gawd is it hot here....
PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 5:45 pm 

here is the weather bulletin that i woke up to this morning:

https://paweatheraction.com/as-much-as- ... day-friday

i was out with some friends last night and it was said "why even look forward to summer anymore, at least in the winter, you know what to expect (being in the house) ?"

i have to agree.

it rains A LOT and even if it is dry, our sky is usually overcast. the last normal summer that we had was in and around 2013.

when i was a kid in the 70s and up thru early y2k, this was a typical summer weather pattern:

wake up to sun blazing in the window, it is 70 degrees. everyone is out getting their yardwork done by noon b/c by 10-11 am, it is getting hot. by 2 pm, temps are well into the mid-high 80s and will be in the 90s soon. we are roasting, the AC is pinging, it was too hot to ride bikes, go for a walk, so we are in a pool somewhere or in the woods all afternoon. by 5 pm, when we were all returning home for supper, it *might* cloud up and there might be a good thunderstorm while we eat. by 6 pm the sun comes back out, it is a tad cooler, and we all go back outside to swim, play ball, ride bikes, or go in the woods. if there is no storm, it is even hotter. once darkness comes, we are on somebody's porch, back deck, under a pavillion in the dusk's sticky humidity. if it did not storm that afternoon, perhaps there would be one during the night, but not to worry, we would wake up to sunshine.

now of course, there were some variances to that norm, but that was basically the pattern from june thru august prior early y2k. the sun would shine, there would be a few thunderstorms, the sun would shine again, and it would be hot and humid to the point of being unbearable based on this area. lows would be in the 60s and highs would be well into the 80s and 90s. sometime between the middle of july and the middle of august, it was not uncommon to have a week or so with temps over 100.

that pattern is now reversed. the sun is not often seen, it is colder, there is a lot of rain, and if it is not raining, it mostly is overcast. high temperatures barely touch 70 and 80 is a "heatwave" :roll: .

if we do have a sunny day and it rains that day or the next day, it does not clear up for another four days. once it starts to rain, it is gloomy for a few days.

in the past 5-6 years, we are lucky to have ONE..maybe TWO days per week that we see the sun for most of the day. also, we are lucky to have two dry days per week.

below are pics of what we look forward to in june, july, and august these days. by the look of the weather link above, it won't change.

steve

Attachments:
SAM_5306.JPG
SAM_5306.JPG [ 63.46 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]
SAM_5307.JPG
SAM_5307.JPG [ 56.42 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 6:44 pm 

Last week one city in India it 52 degrees C (about 125 F). That's hot.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:33 am 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
here is the weather bulletin that i woke up to this morning:

https://paweatheraction.com/as-much-as- ... day-friday

i was out with some friends last night and it was said "why even look forward to summer anymore, at least in the winter, you know what to expect (being in the house) ?"

i have to agree.

it rains A LOT and even if it is dry, our sky is usually overcast. the last normal summer that we had was in and around 2013.

when i was a kid in the 70s and up thru early y2k, this was a typical summer weather pattern:

wake up to sun blazing in the window, it is 70 degrees. everyone is out getting their yardwork done by noon b/c by 10-11 am, it is getting hot. by 2 pm, temps are well into the mid-high 80s and will be in the 90s soon. we are roasting, the AC is pinging, it was too hot to ride bikes, go for a walk, so we are in a pool somewhere or in the woods all afternoon. by 5 pm, when we were all returning home for supper, it *might* cloud up and there might be a good thunderstorm while we eat. by 6 pm the sun comes back out, it is a tad cooler, and we all go back outside to swim, play ball, ride bikes, or go in the woods. if there is no storm, it is even hotter. once darkness comes, we are on somebody's porch, back deck, under a pavillion in the dusk's sticky humidity. if it did not storm that afternoon, perhaps there would be one during the night, but not to worry, we would wake up to sunshine.

now of course, there were some variances to that norm, but that was basically the pattern from june thru august prior early y2k. the sun would shine, there would be a few thunderstorms, the sun would shine again, and it would be hot and humid to the point of being unbearable based on this area. lows would be in the 60s and highs would be well into the 80s and 90s. sometime between the middle of july and the middle of august, it was not uncommon to have a week or so with temps over 100.

that pattern is now reversed. the sun is not often seen, it is colder, there is a lot of rain, and if it is not raining, it mostly is overcast. high temperatures barely touch 70 and 80 is a "heatwave" :roll: .

if we do have a sunny day and it rains that day or the next day, it does not clear up for another four days. once it starts to rain, it is gloomy for a few days.

in the past 5-6 years, we are lucky to have ONE..maybe TWO days per week that we see the sun for most of the day. also, we are lucky to have two dry days per week.

below are pics of what we look forward to in june, july, and august these days. by the look of the weather link above, it won't change.

steve

I miss the passing summer thunderstorms as a kid in the '70's on Long Island. It was a regular event and the thunder was loud! Nowadays you rarely hear thunder and see lightening at all. I don't get it. I'm still on the fence about Chemtrails. Sometimes I look up and see a criss-cross of thick trails that linger for a long time and then blur the sky into a murky haze. I don't recall seeing that in the past.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 3:01 am 

you are so right about the passing thunderstorms. we too rarely see lightning and hear thunder anymore.

the last big stormy summer we had was in 2012 or 13. nearly every day, we got hammered between 4-6 pm.

back in the day, the storms were very intense, along with the heat and sunshine.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 3:35 am 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
you are so right about the passing thunderstorms. we too rarely see lightning and hear thunder anymore.

the last big stormy summer we had was in 2012 or 13. nearly every day, we got hammered between 4-6 pm.

back in the day, the storms were very intense, along with the heat and sunshine.

steve

I was never scared of the thunder as a kid. I loved it! I remember once myself along with my brothers and some friends all put on our bathing suits and went out in one of those firece summer downpours! I remember sitting by the curb and the water was flowing like a raging river. It was fun. The '70's was an awesome time to be a kid. Am I right?!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 4:04 am 

in the 70s, was great to be a kid. being a teenager in the 80s was better and absolutely fantastic.

i was so lucky and fortunate to be a part of it all back then as it was a great time to be a teenager, as i was age 10 in '80.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:15 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
in the 70s, was great to be a kid. being a teenager in the 80s was better and absolutely fantastic.

i was so lucky and fortunate to be a part of it all back then as it was a great time to be a teenager, as i was age 10 in '80.

steve

Well said. I was 13 in '80. At least the '80's had a distinct style. The last decade that did have one. By the '90's and the 2000's things just became a boring muddles mess. Nothing distinct about society. Can anyone think back on anything unique and memorable from say 2000 to 2010 as opposed to 1960 to 1970 or '70 to '80? I can't. In music, TV, automobiles, etc, it's been a basically forgettable blur for me up until now.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 3:01 pm 

Seems to me that the weather patterns we've been having this year, and prior years, are just like the '60s when I became old enough to notice such things. Snow came in the winter, green grass came in the summer. Never mind the season, I and my buddies were bordering on being juvenile delinquents. But the weather never really entered in to what we might do.
Today's weather around here is just like every other year I can recall.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 4:05 pm 

It's mid-June and I'm still waiting for summer to start. April was cold, May was cold, June is following suit. We still have the heat on.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 5:44 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
Well said. I was 13 in '80. At least the '80's had a distinct style. The last decade that did have one. By the '90's and the 2000's things just became a boring muddles mess. Nothing distinct about society. Can anyone think back on anything unique and memorable from say 2000 to 2010 as opposed to 1960 to 1970 or '70 to '80? I can't. In music, TV, automobiles, etc, it's been a basically forgettable blur for me up until now.

very true words

steve

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 10:37 pm 

it just gets better and better.

as I was listening to one of the Pittsburgh stations, the emergency alert system broke in to tell of two tornado warnings.

tornado warnings in butler and clarion. it has me in direct site, but has quite a way to go until it gets to me in state college and the center of the state. it will hopefully diminish as soon as it hits the mountains.

pittsburgh radio and tv are going nuts.

by the way, the weather forecast called for rain...no storms...no tornados... :lol:

steve

Attachments:
butler.jpg
butler.jpg [ 120.48 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]
SAM_5313.JPG
SAM_5313.JPG [ 99.41 KiB | Viewed 144 times ]
SAM_5314.JPG
SAM_5314.JPG [ 74.48 KiB | Viewed 144 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 51 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3