Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 2:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does anyone else get irritated with American pickers?
PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 7:27 pm 

The pickers don't, but it looks like Mr. Carlson does, even though he says "solder" funny. :D

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 7:34 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
Some people find it entertaining, but the effect overall is to make the general public think all old stuff even in poor condition has values as high as the sky which results in them asking ridiculous prices for something they found in grandma's attic or basement.

All of those shows are very carefully staged and scripted.

+1. Then they do a drive by shout out here asking about their pressed wood solid state console 8 track, wondering if it's worth $1000 or $2000.
I had a guy stop in once - he had just left an auction and wanted to make me the deal of a lifetime on a TV tube caddy loaded with 'genuine vintage glass tubes'. Um, no, I've already got three.
Another guy just bought out a hoard of radios and offered them to me for a 'steal' (worked out to $40/radio)more than half were plastic 60's, a few cracked Bakelite, a couple wood mantel, and a couple consoles. The price for the few radios I wanted was over $100 each. Um, no.
Dan

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 8:39 pm 

I don't know where the origin of the name "pickers" came from, but on the west coast they were known as "dealers". I think they just shortened the name "cherry pickers" to pickers. We've always looked down on such dealers.
I have a huge comic collection that dates back to the 1940's (mostly 60's and early 70's stuff). Recently, I told my daughter if she somehow ends up dealing with the collection to not allow those kind of "people" to come in and cherry pick it. She would be better off either picking it herself or have someone just buy the whole lot.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 10:45 pm 

My problem is the way they treat what they don't buy. Mike for instance climbs on top of everything with no regard for damage. I have seen him place stuff on a classic cars. I'd kick the two bums out if they came to my house.

Len

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 11:46 pm 

I don't watch TV shows that irritate me. Seems silly to do so.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:42 am 

Thank you for the replies all, I wasn't expecting this many replies! But yeah, that's what I'm getting at is I feel it's ruining so many hobbies out there, like what we do with radios, I feel like to get "new" radios to restore must be getting difficult! Here in MI for instance everyone that sells a radio with "toobs" thinks that it's a Goldmine waiting to be stumbled upon! Example a 1960s clock radio realistically worth maybe 5-10 dollars unrestored right? Here someone wants a whopping 50 dollars for it. Have a mono tube amplifier? Someone wants 350 for that. A stereo tube amplifier? GOLDMINE like for the people who actually care about the stuff and don't want to just make a quick pass and flip it really angers me! Because as I said everyone can be a flipper now it takes absolutely no skill to sell on eBay and these "flippers" often don't even click on the "sold items" tab to see what something is actually worth they just see asking process and think wow it's that much! My dad used to tell me as far as selling stuff you can ask all day, but at the end of the day something is worth what someone is willing to pay, and that's why you see so many things unsold! Another thing is when someone tries to sell something for 100 or over 100 dollars and doesn't have a picture or just has one picture of an item, it's like how lazy can someone be to think oh yeah I snap one photo and make 100+ dollars

Last edited by Michiganamps on Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:47 am 

arzoo623 wrote:
My problem is the way they treat what they don't buy. Mike for instance climbs on top of everything with no regard for damage. I have seen him place stuff on a classic cars. I'd kick the two bums out if they came to my house.

Len

And that's what really resonates with me the most is the stuff they buy (arragned or not) is vauled for it's weight in gold, while they sometimes even make fun of the stuff left behind with no chance for anyone to come along and buy anything else to clear out the lot, as it's all been cherry picked and anything of value is all gone and it's all left to rot away. Like I've stated the thing that gets me the most is theres young kids and young adults that watch that and it basically tells them hey get interested in making money off history, not even about the history itself. And even in some of the things they talk about I've seen careless errors. Its just sadly a sign of the times *sigh*

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:24 am 

Bill Harris wrote:

It's like a sore in your mouth. You can't keep from touching it with your tongue!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:12 am 

Agree 100%.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:13 am 

doc612 wrote:
We actually sold a 1954 Harley Davidson police motorcycle to the Pickers. They sent a guy from Avila, Pennsylvania to North Alabama to get it. That said, you have to remember that the entire show is staged; they can't spend all day at a guy's place and leave with $500 worth of merchandise or they wouldn't stay in business long. They have to do a TON of turnover to make a decent profit. Everything you see on the show is for the benefit of the camera.

So I take it no one ever came out to your place from the show? It would actually make sense then what they probably do is buy an item like they did with yours and bring it to a "set" dirty it up a little bit and make it look like it was sitting in that "place" the whole time!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:26 am 

arzoo623 wrote:
Bill Harris wrote:

It's like a sore in your mouth. You can't keep from touching it with your tongue!

Well as much as I hate it there isn't really as.much to watch anymore on Tv that interests me , my favorite programming was from when I was a child I could turn on the history channel and watch a documentary about the Atlantic telegraph line, or how it's made, or modern Marvel's something that is actually real. Instead I have deadliest catch, ice road truckers, gold rush, curse of oak island, lost wwII gold, civil war gold, pawn stars, cops, cops reloaded, the Simpsons, family Guy, and the news. It just seems that if I show has decent ratings now days it has a half dozen shows that become spinoffs of a particular show with some of the same characters, always looking for something that ends on a cliffhanger and they reveal yet another "clue" every week, which is revealed to be nothing at the beginning of the following show! It seems like viewer ratings are the real "gold" on these shows, which is why I try not to watch so I don't support such shows! I used to watch Turner Classic Movies, but I think they changed their sleection of movies lately, as I like the black and white movies from the 20s-50s oh well cable will be the next to go...

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:30 am 

zarco wrote:
Yeah, this 'picking' thing kinda pisses me off too. And its not just this show
but the car and house flipping shows too. Sure, these are business models
but on the sleezy side IMO. I've had several of the pseudo car wizards
knock on my door asking if they could buy the classic Mercedes in my driveway.
Its not really for sale but quote them a price which is just above market.
Their response is usually "I can't make any money at that price". My response
"its not my purpose in life to make money for you".

The people that really get me riled are those that troll swaps and shows
looking for radios and items that are under priced that they can scoop
up and sell on that nebulous auction site. They are taking things away
from people that are looking for items to restore for themselves
After a while they are easy to spot. Smart phone in their hand searching
the net for values.
Steve

I can't lie sometimes I'll look up an LP in a record store, not for the value but to find out a date as some LPs don't have a date, just so I can get a "feel" for the type of music on the LP. But I try to just trust my gut for this reason because I feel like if someone sees me doing that that's what their thinking, which to me comes off as rude on my part so I try to refrain..

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 4:22 am 

i don't have cable tv. I refuse to pay that kind of money to watch nothing but commercials, advertisements, and reality shows.

however, I do know people "in the business". some have a small flea market booth and some have their own retail store(s) selling all kinds of stuff from the common household vacuum to high end high value jewelry, furniture, antiques, and anything in between.

the key things in the business in no particular order are to have and know your customer base, buy items for at least cost as possible, know what you can get out of an item based on your customer base along with the item's true value, and sell the item for the most money that you can.

remember this as well: nobody put a gun to the sellers' heads and made them sell to the pickers (or anyone in the business) for the price the pickers offered.

I don't dislike the pickers or anyone in the business for what they do. they have a business, they are there to make money, and nobody forced anyone to sell to them.

perfect example: when we were cleaning out my grandmother's house last year, she had a couple of those round twist up piano stools. I had absolutely no use or want for them. i knew that a fair market value for each one was around $50. anyone that I asked did not want them even for free, much less for $50 a piece.

so...I took them to someone that I know in "the business". he offered me $25 per bench. he sold them for $50 a piece. do I care ? nope. was I glad to get rid of them ? absolutely. did I have the hassle to keep trying to someone who would give me that kind of money ? nope. he made money and so did i.

some people may say that I got "ripped off" ; nobody forced me to sell those piano stools for $25 a piece.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:00 am 

I don't watch tv anymore and just listen to the radio it has all turned to crap :roll: .

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:17 am 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
i don't have cable tv. I refuse to pay that kind of money to watch nothing but commercials, advertisements, and reality shows.

however, I do know people "in the business". some have a small flea market booth and some have their own retail store(s) selling all kinds of stuff from the common household vacuum to high end high value jewelry, furniture, antiques, and anything in between.

the key things in the business in no particular order are to have and know your customer base, buy items for at least cost as possible, know what you can get out of an item based on your customer base along with the item's true value, and sell the item for the most money that you can.

remember this as well: nobody put a gun to the sellers' heads and made them sell to the pickers (or anyone in the business) for the price the pickers offered.

I don't dislike the pickers or anyone in the business for what they do. they have a business, they are there to make money, and nobody forced anyone to sell to them.

perfect example: when we were cleaning out my grandmother's house last year, she had a couple of those round twist up piano stools. I had absolutely no use or want for them. i knew that a fair market value for each one was around $50. anyone that I asked did not want them even for free, much less for $50 a piece.

so...I took them to someone that I know in "the business". he offered me $25 per bench. he sold them for $50 a piece. do I care ? nope. was I glad to get rid of them ? absolutely. did I have the hassle to keep trying to someone who would give me that kind of money ? nope. he made money and so did i.

some people may say that I got "ripped off" ; nobody forced me to sell those piano stools for $25 a piece.

steve

I get that, in that scenario that makes sense, but I just think when they stretch it to make 3 or 4 times the profit from unsuspecting sellers, that's a little concerning. And while they might not show those deals on Tv I guarantee they do happen. Because I understand when someone needs to move some stuff, you need it gone as soon as possible. But there's a fine line in making someone a honest deal, and ripping someone off. Because I've seen them pick people before who if it was real staged or whatever, probably weren't connected to the internet or possibly even aware of eBay or anything like that. It's those people that I was talking about just to clarify. Like I've said, my biggest gripe is that the show is showing people to be interested in history for the $$$ instead of showing people to be interested in the history of an item. And that's what concerns me is that in another 25 years all we're going to have is a bunch of stupid signs and oil cans representing the 1950s because everything else will be gone because it wasn't deemed anything of importance! Because pawnstars and the pickers weren't interested in that stuff! And note I just used the 1950s as an example. But in the grand scheme of things I feel like the show is around to promote sales of items that had little or no value whatsoever before but now that they are on TV everyone needs one for their home!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 12:37 pm 

Somewhat OT but what about "Storage Wars"? As they are going through their recent purchase, I am amazed at what they say items will sell for. Just not true.

And didn't we go to cable to get uninterrupted quality programming without all of the commercials? We have been duped... Again!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:06 pm 

The reality is, we don't know what they sold the stuff for, nor if they sold it at all.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:21 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:
The reality is, we don't know what they sold the stuff for, nor if they sold it at all.

This is the reality of reality TV.
Anyone think the annoying aspects and charactors of Pickers aren't part of the script?
Viewers like to have a villain in any program.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:24 pm 

Michiganamps,

Its just a TV show for entertainment. You're reading too much into it. Take it for what
its worth - entertainment. With the Pickers, pretty much they offer 50% of the product's
worth ( to them) If the seller wants to sell it on the spot for cash right now, he makes a
deal. If not, OK. A lot of times, the Pickers make an offer, and the seller refuses If the
Pickers make a deal for what they think is a good selling price for them, and have to sit
on it, who loses?

Its all staged. Its about the value. My piece might be worth 300, and the pickers offer
150. Now, do I want to try and get the 300 with the internet, or take their 150 now?.
the Pickers are there to make money (like Pawn Stars) and be TV stars. Nobody is
getting cheated. Everyone is getting something out of the show.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:13 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:

Correct for sure...

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 63 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next