Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does anyone else get irritated with American pickers?
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:59 pm 

The term "picker" is really outdated. 40 years ago, when I worked for an antique dealer, a picker was someone who traveled a lot and found stuff that he would take to someone who he knew frequently bought the stuff. My boss bought painted furniture, like corner cupboards, dry sinks, etc. A picker would back to the antique shop, open the doors to his van and there would be just the kind of stuff my boss bought. They'd strike a deal (always cash) and the picker made a day's wages. That picker wouldn't bring a $15K Philadelphia chair to my boss, he'd take it to someone else that paid those kind of prices. There was always funny incidents like when a picker wanted too much for something and a week later that item would be brought into the shop by someone else and my boss would buy it. At way less than originally.
As far as the show goes, I catch it occasionally and just ignore the annoying parts and relate to the situations that mirror situations in my life. I buy and sell a lot of different stuff and find myself being asked "What'll you give me for it" or "What do you want for it?"
Since the show has been on a long time now, almost everyone knows someone who had first hand knowledge about how it works. The seller contacts the producers and if it looks promising, someone from the show makes a visit. They find out what kind of prices he will accept and then the boys make a visit. A cheapskate in my town had a visit from someone from the show and they quickly realized that he wanted top retail and more for everything. A friend of his did get on the show and they bought some big propeller related to Lindberg. The haggling was awkward.

Last edited by DKinYORKpa on Jun Wed 12, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 9:09 pm 

I concur with the "staged" nature of the purchases on the show. Perhaps occasionally they do search through a barn sight unseen with the cameras rolling, but if so, it's always with the thought that the editing room awaits.

A "real" antique dealer in town here confirmed my suspicion that most of what the pickers show picks, and prices, on the show are horribly over priced, while at the same time noting that "you never know what some goofball will pay for junk" .... meaning, price is in the eye of the beholder. Price it high, and perhaps someone will think it must be worth that much. ;-)

caveat emptor! It's a jungle out there. Just look at stuff here.... offered for sale for $275 on the auction site, and sold for $50 maybe.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 9:16 pm 

All that "Pawn Shop" does is to remind me to never sell anything to a pawn shop.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 11:57 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
I concur with the "staged" nature of the purchases on the show. Perhaps occasionally they do search through a barn sight unseen with the cameras rolling, but if so, it's always with the thought that the editing room awaits.

I was just peripherally involved in a "reality" tv show production, the details of which will have to wait until the show airs this fall, due to the NDA. While they do stage all kinds of stuff, the cutting room is where the sausage gets made. I bet they do roll through quite a few barns and so on and then snip away until they like the result. In the case of the show I mentioned, many times we heard "don't worry about it, we'll edit it". It is cheaper for them to just go and roll the cameras. In our case it was one camera persona and one director type. Very cheap for them to take as much footage as they like.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 12:21 am 

I like American Pickers. It was the first show to break out of the "I bought this from some stupid guy who didn't know what it was worth -- kaching!!" mold, and they don't tear down the people they meet.

I've mentioned this before, but it seems to bear repeating (quite a bit): reality television refers to a situation that exists a priori, rather than a literal half hour of someone trying to find a tool (exciting, right?). Eva and I have done about a half dozen shows at this point, and we really exist, as does our collection. Again, contrast this to Star Trek or Sponge Bob Squarepants. Those are not reality shows.

Good tv? We've been grooving on Good Omens. It's a hoot!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 4:08 am 

remember this as well: it is 2019. anyone who is selling something should be able to easily find and come up with a "fair market value" and be in the know as to what their item(s) is/are worth.

if i were to go to a flea market and see a pair of JBL 100s for $25 bucks, i'm dropping my money, taking the speakers, and running.

a few years ago, i was in a junk shop in the deep south and bought a mint pair of Altec 604e speakers in Altec cabinets for $10. i sold them for $600.

anyone selling anything has the ability to research and come up with an asking price on their PC, cellphone, or on a computer at the library.

in my opinion, there is no excuse for a seller to get "ripped off" these days, thanks to the internet, which is just fingertips away.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 3:29 pm 

Since only half of you watch the show, did you happen to catch last nights episode of the radio collector in I think Alabama? I cant find the episode online and he may be on here. He had a large building full of radios and parts. I watched all but the last 5 minutes of the show and they didnt touch a single radio. They went right for advertising and signage and whatever will sell in their Nashville store. Its obvious there isnt enough margin in it for them to make any money or radios arent an area they know enough about to pick.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 6:06 pm 

They bought I think, a Crosley with a repwood cabinet. You would have seen them loading it up at the end.

It was one. Here is a bing pic of a much better one.

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.89lo-VEO ... =5&pid=1.7

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 7:15 pm 

Michiganamps wrote:
doc612 wrote:
We actually sold a 1954 Harley Davidson police motorcycle to the Pickers. They sent a guy from Avila, Pennsylvania to North Alabama to get it. That said, you have to remember that the entire show is staged; they can't spend all day at a guy's place and leave with $500 worth of merchandise or they wouldn't stay in business long. They have to do a TON of turnover to make a decent profit. Everything you see on the show is for the benefit of the camera.

So I take it no one ever came out to your place from the show? It would actually make sense then what they probably do is buy an item like they did with yours and bring it to a "set" dirty it up a little bit and make it look like it was sitting in that "place" the whole time!

No, we listed the bike on Craigslist and a guy called us and offered us the full amount for the bike. We didn't know it was "Pickers" until they came to get it. Apparently the skinny guy really does collect old Harleys and the bike went to a shop in Avila, Pa. for a total restoration. They were kind enough to send photos of it after it was finished.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 9:04 pm 

they came to see an acquaintance of mine.

remember, this is all about tv, ratings, tv, and ratings.

i will just leave that there for everyone to ponder.

i know someone who was on tv at the vegas pawn shop with the old man, rick, and chummy (whatever he's called..)

all the deals and final prices were made BEFORE the cameras were turned on. when you see them negotiating, the real sale was all staged and scripted minutes before the director said "action".

i don't have cable tv. i absolutely refuse to pay all that money for commercials, advertisements, 1/2 hour shows being run for 45 minutes to work in more commercials, 1/2 hour and 1 hour shows being cut down (compared to 10 years ago) for more commercials, and fake reality shows.

all these shows have ratings to acquire and i don't watch them because most, if not all, are staged and scripted before the cameras are rolling.

remember folks, it's tv.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 6:33 am 

I completely agree, that's why I try and convey to people not to watch this type of garbage, because if their precious ratings go down then there won't be any are "fake" shows or fewer than there are now! It really makes me sad that if a show becomes popular, now we have multiple spinoffs with one or two of the same characters and it's even more of a piece of garbage than the first show was, that's just my opinion.
-John
And another thing that really irks me is the shows "safety standards" or lack thereof like on the show, oh wow I have something here with a completely frayed cord and electrical tape all up and down it, "let's plug it in" or an old piece of electronic gear that clearly hasn't been reformed or even tested with a dim bulb tester! This is why I won't buy stuff from Craigslist anymore, because everyone sees this crap on Tv and thinks it's okay to plug it in and do damage to something I'm trying to restore..

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:27 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
i don't have cable tv. i absolutely refuse to pay all that money for commercials, advertisements, 1/2 hour shows being run for 45 minutes to work in more commercials, 1/2 hour and 1 hour shows being cut down (compared to 10 years ago) for more commercials, and fake reality shows.
steve

Michiganamps wrote:
I completely agree, that's why I try and convey to people not to watch this type of garbage, because if their precious ratings go down then there won't be any are "fake" shows or fewer than there are now! It really makes me sad that if a show becomes popular, now we have multiple spinoffs with one or two of the same characters and it's even more of a piece of garbage than the first show was, that's just my opinion.
-John

My feelings exactly for what it's worth. I don't see a way to make this go away (tons of commercials, fake infomercials). Kinda reminds me of the robo calls which seem to just be untouchable.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:46 pm 

I can certainly understand the disgust, dislike, whatever for most cable/satellite tv offerings. However, condemning the entire medium is like saying you don’t like libraries because there some books you don’t like.

I’ll skip any pretentious comments about which programming is below me, but I’ll say coverage of on going weather events, programs like the dramas imported from England on PBS, the live coverage of classic car auctions on NBC Sports/MotorTrend or watching a sporting event that I enjoy make my cable subscription worthwhile.

Not addicted to tv, but appreciate what information it provides that can supplement my real life activities.

My main concern with tv is that everything, from the weather channel to EVERY ‘news’ network has become entertainment oriented rather than just being interested in reporting the facts. I don’t need the talking head to tell me that in another ‘impulsive, ill advised act’ the president did this or the democratic House of Representatives ‘melted down when...’. Just tell me what happened and spare the adjectives and adverbs. Give me the facts and i’ll decide if it was ‘impulsive’ or a ‘meltdown’.

No journalism anymore. Just entertainment.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 1:25 pm 

+1

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 3:29 pm 

Quote:
all these shows have ratings to acquire and i don't watch them because most, if not all, are staged and scripted before the cameras are rolling.

Says it all for me. And don't get me started on "Reality shows". Pretty much given up all TV, for me, mostly educational stuff on YouTube is all I watch now, history or scientific stuff. Sometimes I even watch "Mr. Carlsons lab".

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 3:52 pm 

I really enjoy American Pickers. They show enthusiasm about American History and culture. They provide information on old products and companies. I don't worry about how much they buy or sell things for. I have been to their store in Iowa and it was all t-shirts and show stuff. The items that they purchased on the show were for show, like a museum, that was a bit disappointing.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 4:07 pm 

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 8:54 pm 

stillthesame wrote:
I can certainly understand the disgust, dislike, whatever for most cable/satellite tv offerings. However, condemning the entire medium is like saying you don’t like libraries because there some books you don’t like....everything, from the weather channel to EVERY ‘news’ network has become entertainment oriented rather than just being interested in reporting the facts..

in the library, there are no 8 minute sections of commercials between chapters, books, or pages as there are in many tv shows.

in the library, there is nobody begging for money for fifteen minutes between chapters, books, or pages as there is on PBS.

the library does not charge me $129 per month to go there like cable/sat tv does.

:lol:

in the library, there are so many wonderful subjects, topics, and books. it is a place where i will never become bored or disgusted, unlike tv.

library :D ; tv :(

100% agreed, news and weather is not news anymore. it too is entertainment, sensationalism, seeing who can out-do the other, and it is all about the bottom line: ratings at the expense of telling just the facts.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 9:03 pm 

Not comparing a library to cable/satellite tv. Just saying I won’t reject an entire medium. And, libraries may not have commercials, but they get their money from somewhere. Hmmmmm. Wonder where that money is from? Oh, you say they’re ‘free’. Sure they are.

And, besides, most of what I watch is recorded. That little fast forward button is sure handy.

$129 a month? Mine is $230 for tv, land line and internet. A mere pittance.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 10:16 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Quote:
Does anyone else get irritated with American pickers?

No. It's a TV show, not real life. I sometimes watch it and enjoy it for the hour that it occupies, then I move on to other entertainment.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 63 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next