Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Thu 28, 2020 8:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Here's my household of vintage appliances
PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 4:15 pm 

We seem to talk a lot about appliances, particularly new ones that break a lot. So far I've avoided that by getting and restoring vintage ones from the 50's-70's. Here they are...

1:1953 Frigidaire. Paid $75. All I did was buff out the enamel and install a new cord. Other then that it gets defrosted every 2 months.

2: 1963 Kenmore gas range/oven with telechron clock and back-lit rear.

I took this one apart and repainted some of the areas. Mostly ceramic coated so that stays nice and new looking. I replaced a few of the fittings and when the plumber came to install it he did a pressurized test where it had to sit for 5 minutes with 8PSI in the line without leaking. Passed with flying colors.

3: 1955 Admiral stand up freezer. The benefit of the old freezers is since there is no automatic defrost you don't get any freezer burn.

4: 1978 Amana RadarRange. About 75-80 pounds. Built like a tank. IMHO does a better job than modern microwaves. Stuff doesn't blow up easily inside, and it cooks evenly. People who know nothing about radiation tend to be scared of it when they see it...

5:1960's Kitchenaid mixer as well as original 1930's era Hamilton beach mixer. Believe it or not I got the kitchenAid at a church parking lot sale for $5. They look like the new ones but rest assured- the new ones are really flimsy in comparison. I did change the gear box grease as the old stuff was stiff and smelly.

6: mid-50's Norge. This was $50 at a estate sale down the street. Its missing trim but who cares... Its my beer fridge and is handily right next to the bench.

7: 1970's Faberware convection oven. I bought this as a knee-jerk reaction. It was $5. But we've have it for years. It lives in the garage and when we're having parties or big dinners it works great for casseroles and other stuff. It works surprisingly well.

Post subject: Re: Here's my household of vintage appliances
PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 4:19 pm 

Nice. Thanks for keeping the old but good stuff working.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 4:59 pm 

Nice collection! Do you know any other people with similar collections?

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 6:05 pm 

Bob, good on you, but you need more beer in that fridge...! :P

-Bryan

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 6:29 pm 

My girlfriend and I have been doing the same with our appliances. When something newer and digital with a touch pad and microprocessor craps out, we simply replace it with something more analog and maintenance friendly from the '70s or earlier. The worst was a Whirlpool stove/ oven that was always flashing error codes, beeping and powering off in the middle of cooking a roast, baking cookies, etc. Replacement parts were close to the expense of a new stove. We opted for a used black and chrome Kenmore with a glass cook top and analog clock/ timer on the back splash found locally on Craigslist. Looks to be from the '80s or earlier. Love it. Love it. Love it. User and parts manuals are easily found online and spares are a tenth in price compared to the old unit.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 6:30 pm 

Spectacular! But with all those reefers/freezers going, your electric bill must be a tad high.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 6:51 pm 

That is a nice collection, and all in great condition.

My guess is most of it will still be running long after your'e not.
:wink:

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 7:17 pm 

My parents had a 1953 Frigidaire too. Worked perfectly -- and quiet -- for decades. Never a service call. I always liked the distinctive look.

Curly

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 7:56 pm 

Believe it or not they use less power than most modern fridges. The reason? They don't have automatic defrost, hence no heater constantly getting used to melt the ice.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 8:16 pm 

Very impressive!
Congratulations! :D

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 8:33 pm 

That Radarange- wow!

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 9:26 pm 

My Mom still has her Amana Radarange, daily driver. Craig

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 9:48 pm 

I really like the big old Frigidaire refrigerator / freezer combo! I remember my great grandmother had an old 40s / 50s Frigidaire deep freezer in her basement that ran for 40 years! The outside case was about to rust away and fall off, but it still ran and was super cold!

I don't have any cool old appliances such as you, but I do have a 20 year old Whirlpool washer and dryer still working great! These were the direct drive washer design with heavy duty gearbox and no belts to break.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 10:25 pm 

I like the Kenmore gas range. Guess that has pilot light vs. the modern spark ignition. You used to be able to use the newer ones (spark ignition) by match lighting them if your power was out. I found out recently thats no longer the case with many as they now put a gas line interlock on the AC power to prevent you from doing so. Experienced that one the hard way with a new Maytag range during an outage. Very disappointing.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 10:34 pm 

The Kenmore range has pilot lights but the oven also has a safety device so that if its pilot goes out it triggers a valve that shuts off the gas entirely. The pilot lights on top are tiny and even when one blows out occasionally it only makes a small smell. There's not much to it. Very basic design.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 10:34 pm 

I have to admit that it is cool to see all of those appliances up and running, and in beautiful cosmetic condition.

(However... I see quite an assortment of Adult Beverages too! :wink: )

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 1:06 am 

Old appliances ROCK!

We just bought this little beauty on Sunday!

Attachment:
1-IMG_2972.JPG
1-IMG_2972.JPG [ 282.3 KiB | Viewed 1691 times ]

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 2:18 pm 

Wow! That thing is sweet!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 2:32 pm 

Very cool! I have a 50's Monkey Wards fridge in garage! Works great! Really like it! My mom had a Radar Range when I was a kid Sadly it died 15 years ago or so..........

I bought my house 21 years ago and it had a remodeled kitchen and I bought a new stove and fridge then. Both still working but I get nervous the fridge is going to die at some point. Maybe I got in on the last of the decent appliances and it will keep on trucking for many more years.........

I did put my Kill o Watt on the MW fridge in the garage and it was one of the least electric using things I have in my house!

Todd

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 3:38 pm 

We still have the built in wall oven. It has an analog clock timer that buzzes. We use the time all the time for other things. Just twist the dial to 20 minutes. Somehow that's easier than punching in numbers.

One of my friends fixes everything like I do. He has a rental with a 1993 fridge and has kept it working over the years. He just replaced it with $600 stainless fridge even though he suspects it's only the fan that needed fixing. Why? Because he didn't have time to fix it, the tenant can't do without a fridge, it looks nicer and he wants the tenant to be happy for a few years, and he feels that eventually he'll have to replace the stove and dishwasher with stainless appliances. It's kind of a shame because that $600 fridge won't last nearly as long as the 1993 one. But I guess it will be more efficient.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next