Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your worst shocker!
PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 6:23 am 

My thread about rewiring the on-off switch in my first tube radio rehab made me think of this. What's the worst you ever got shocked? For me, I was about 12 years old at my Grandpas and decided I was gonna fix the clock that didn't work on the stove. Well, the stove was metal obviously and I was leaning over/on it screwing with the clock and BAMMO! That was my first and I think, only time AC ever bit me. Got zapped by cattle fences a few times but nothing like that stove deal. A buddy of mine that's a line guy for the power company almost got killed to death by a high power line. I bet you guys got some good stories...

Post subject: Re: Your worst shocker!
PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 6:50 am 

Was working on a hybrid tube amp. Something on the LV side was not right and I decided to resolder some connections. While I was soldering, the B+ lead popped off and flipped over and stuck into my hand. The soldering gun hit the far wall of the room ;) Who'd of thought a wire on the other side of a metal divider would decide to pop off and flop 4" over.

Worst AC one was rewiring my dad's recording studio. Flipped breaker off. Then climbed up to steel rafters to cut wire. Hot and sweaty while lying on the rebar of the beams I cut the wire. Big shock and I remember it took over a second to pull away. Turned out the circuit was fed by one breaker on our panel and another from the next tenants panel.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 7:19 am 

I got it twice when I was a kid. Was fiddling with a chassis I had gotten from my grand pa, and I believe I had one hand on a grid cap when I touched the chassis with the other, or whatever I touched (hell, it was 1956, and I can't remember what I ate for breakfast this morning), and I felt my arms stiffen as current went up through both of them, and then knocked me on my butt, onto the floor. After the second dose of this not long afterward, I was cured. Never happened again.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 7:42 am 

Well I have 2 one was when I was about 7 or 8 iirc and I was playing over by our dryer in the basement and I thought it would be a good idea to stick a screwdriver in the electrical outlet... Turns out it wasn't lol I got lucky I didn't get shocked too bad, but it was enough to get my attention pretty quickly haha, second time was fiddling around in my room doing the same thing again.. lol when I was a child I wasn't exactly the brightest when it came to learning my lessons..
John

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 1:09 pm 

Had just fixed an emerson aa5, so time to test it out, barefoot on kitchen floor, no knobs.

It lit me up when I turned it on.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 1:18 pm 

Two for me that were purely electrical, and one or two that were electronics related.

At the age of 2, I decided to stick a phonograph needle into an outlet. My dad said it threw me across the room. I remember nothing :::::innocent look:::::

Later, working on a 4x4 electric box in a ceiling while on a ladder.... I knew it was a hot circuit. Hey, that's what one does, right? So being extremely careful, I grabbed the live wire with one hand (by accident I might add). Would have been fine if I had not been bracing myself by pressing my shoulder against the ceiling. Right on a heat vent. I locked onto that line, remember trying to let go, and then all of a sudden I was free. And standing. Either I somehow consciously thought to step off the ladder, or it nudged me off, but it broke the circuit or I'd be a permanent fixture on the ceiling.

Plenty of RF burns from the plate cap of Horizontal output tubes, and the VERY occasional zap from a turned off but not fully discharged TV CRT. Fun stuff.

Most of the booboo type things were either soldering iron burns, or poking some sharp wire or chassis part through a finger.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 1:53 pm 

One of my more memorable unpleasant shock experiences was not particularly high voltage.
While working on a telco 20 hertz 90 volt ringer supply, I remember the shock as being very painful. Something about the low frequency maybe?
The standing joke about working on those subcycle power supplies was to "Be careful, 20 hurts!"

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 2:51 pm 

Caught one side of a 15kV/120mA neon sign transformer once, when building a Tesla coil. Thank goodness there was no cap connected to it. Luckily nothing stopped me from pulling clear. I have had my share of shocks but that HURT! My elbow hurt for several days. After that working on things like Tesla coils I got real disciplined on safety procedures!

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 3:03 pm 

Not dangerous, but painful, and I really hate getting shocked.
A buddy asked me to help him get his Honda 50 started. He had installed a kill switch and now could not get it started. So I tried to push start it down this long hill. Didn't know which way was kill on the switch so I reached up to flip it and got the full shock from the spark plug. He had wired the switch to ground out the plug instead of the magneto.
After I disconnected the wiring it started right up.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 3:09 pm 

Let’s see. I think that would be when I was 11 years old. I was pulling a metal tube out of an ARC 5 receiver while it was powered. Must have been a short to the metal tube envelope. Wow.....over 60 years later and I still won’t touch a metal tube when powered !!

Ed

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 4:15 pm 

My Grandfather was one hell of a mechanic... he always told me, "That's just electricity, it won't hurt ya!!!"... he'd grab the plug wires right off the plug while the thing was running... his arm would lurch with the spark... if that cylinder was working, he'd put the wire back on the spark plug, and go right down the line till he found the miss and dropped the wire... Same with AC... he'd stick his fingers in and say... "we got juice here!" or he'd wet his fingers and touch the two bare wires looking for a "bite"... he lived to be 88 and I have no clue how!!!!

Jim

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 5:02 pm 

When I was in my early 20's I was doing an alignment on an old Philco (model 60 tombstone I believe). Some of the trimmers were accessed through holes in the back of the chassis. What I didn't know is that Philco put full B+ on the part of the trimmer that turns. I found out real fast--holding a jeweler's screwdriver, I got quite a jolt, and a brief but impressive shower of sparks when the screwdriver shorted the trimmer to chassis

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 5:23 pm 

I discovered as a child that metallic surfaces with a potential on them would make my fingertips feel 60 Hz pulses as I moved my fingers across them, sort of like when you run wet fingers across a surface. I felt that sensation on a zenith am radio/phono combination my grandmother had in the kitchen. She had Youngstown metal cabinets and stainless edging on the counters. I got my first big hit when i touched the turntable and the counter edging. Since that day, I have dedicated my life to never having that happen again. I've done pretty well so far, about 55 years since.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 5:49 pm 

Was perhaps 17 at the time, around 1968. I was given a Zenith color roundie. Model 5430 or something? Large floor model with 2 dozen or so tube compliment. Picture tube was bad. I wanted to replace it, being "guided" by a GE parts distributor as I did not own a color set. He had told me to discharge the picture tube. Did so, got a nice snap out of the anode. It was now lunchtime, so I made a sandwich.

Fully charged gastronomically, I then bent down behind the set and reached in to disconnect the anode. Well, that was not the only thing fully charged.

I don't know how long I was out cold laying on the floor. I do know I punched a hole in the plaster wall behind me with my head. I basically did the Galvani experiment. Big time. And perhaps a concussion to boot as I had a very significant headache for a day and a half. When I came to after the shock, I recalled having a sandwich but didn't think I had eaten aluminum as part of it. Had that taste for pretty much a full day along with the headache.

I was wearing long sleeves at the time. I have no idea what part of me touched the chassis while I was in contact with the anode.

Repeated the discharge to ground from the anode, got another healthy snap. Checked to insure the set was unplugged, etc. Then borrowed an HV meter at the end of the day and saw 35kv on the anode despite the several attempts already at discharging it.

I did eventually discharge it and replace the picture tube. Got the set working after several more repairs. The B+ was waaaaaaay high in the set, also had several bad pots and weak tubes.

The distributor after I told him what had happened? "Oh, yeah, that sometimes does happen. Some of those tubes really can build up a charge and you have to do it repeatedly." So much for HIS "guidance".

Later as I learned more, I often wondered if this set was creating soft xrays since the high voltage was so far above where it was supposed to be. I forget what the set's spec was, I think it was around 25 ~ 27kv.

After that education, I realized that the 'tingle' from a portable TV's rabbit ears were actually more Joltage waiting to nail the unwary. So whenever I plugged a portable in, I always passed the back side of a finger down the rabbit ear and if I felt what feels like a vibration, I reversed the plug in the wall. That never failed to correct any attempt by a set to 'educate' me about the outlets polarity.
John S.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 6:00 pm 

Hmm, my worst was from the HV lead of a color TV too.

It was a hybrid RCA and I was 15 or 16 years old. Someone had made a splice in the HV wire coming out of the compartment.
I reached back to adjust the Focus. well, my hand was against the chassis and the tip of my thumb went right to that splice. ZAP!

I couldn't feel my thumb for at least a half hour... I couldn't move it very well for quite a while after.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 6:02 pm 

Well... I did something dumb just a few days ago. I was working on a weird little Japanese console and it had an additional 120 volt AC plug in the back for accessories. I decided to unsolder it as I didn't want the future owner to use it as it was pretty chincy and using really thin wire. I guess that somehow I forgot to unplug the set. As soon as I touched one of the leads with the soldering iron it instantly vaporized part of the tip of the iron. Snnap!

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 7:32 pm 

Tingles and shocks many times in the past. Typical bites. Maybe the last time I got nailed good was what I wrote of on here, trying to neutralize a transmitter with 900V on it and making the mistake of using a ESD tool that are made semi conductive. That and the time I was holding a cat and it's tail came in contact with an electric fence.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 8:30 pm 

Water + electricity = big shock.

I was about 8 when I made this revelation. I'd just got out of the tub, and while still very wet I walked to my room and went to turn on the light, only the light switch was in want of a protective cover. My wet fingers went inside and touched the contacts as I reached for it without looking.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 8:42 pm 

Not me. At least I don't recall getting shocked. The only times I have been well shocked is while pulling plug wires on cars. Usually all goes well, but not always. There is a special tool for that, and I have one, but that means a trip to the tool box.

But I surely have let the magic smoke come out of radio chassis and amplifier chassis at times.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 9:48 pm 

Mark D wrote:

Not me. At least I don't recall getting shocked.

Mark D.

Well, that explains it. Shock therapy has a tendency to erase short term memory. :wink:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 73 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next