Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 19, 2019 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Episode of Star Trek - 50 years ago today.
PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 1:53 am 

To all the Trekies out there: Live long and prosper.

The last regular episode of the original Star Trek TV series aired 50 years ago today.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/star-tr ... l-episode/

Peace and long life,

Post subject: Re: Last Episode of Star Trek - 50 years ago today.
PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 2:17 am 

Star Trek was first broadcast in the United Kingdom on BBC One starting on July 12, 1969 with the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before". The first episode broadcast in color was "Arena" on November 15, 1969

I was seven years old, and I still have my phaser, set to Stun, of course... :wink:

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 11:13 am 

It's amazing that after all this time, we STILL don't have a reliable TriCorder ...... Or for that matter I guess, a phaser. Or DiLithium Crystals, although we came close with the Flux Capacitor.

I'm sad now. :(

Edit: Have any of you tried to re-stuff a Flux Capacitor? :-D

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 2:04 am 

Greetings to Barry and the Forum:

Quote:
Have any of you tried to re-stuff a Flux Capacitor?

Yes, but it didn't work out well. Every time I finished the job, I found myself back at my bench about to start. :D

Regards,

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 2:30 am 

I read somewherez once that the series was considered to be bought by another network but the filming set got destroyed due to the cancellation. The cost to rebuild the set put the kibosh on the sale... :(

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 2:43 am 

I have been watching some of the old episodes on one of the OTA classic rerun channels. Watching it on a big flat screen, I am starting to pick out some details that must have escaped me when I watched it decades ago, I see stuff and think "cool!" or "wow I never noticed that before". Maybe the TVs at the time were the problem.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 2:45 am 

What's a shame is that I've always thought the final episode, Turnabout Intruder, was one of the worst episodes of the series. And it was played all the time in syndication because of its relative fame.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 8:13 am 

lexrageorge wrote:
What's a shame is that I've always thought the final episode, Turnabout Intruder, was one of the worst episodes of the series. And it was played all the time in syndication because of its relative fame.

Season 3 had a huge number of klunkers, the season started with "Spock's Brain" (which is generally considered the worst TOS episode of all, all though not the worst in the entire franchise - See Voyager below...). It was really hit-or-miss throughout the run, the first aired episode ("The Man Trap") was also pretty egregious, not to mention boring and predictable. People forget it wasn't that big a hit at the time, it got more popular after it went off the air.

I liked Voyager but it seems to have the worst individual episodes of the entire franchise, very uneven, and several of the episodes were borderline embarassing ("Threshold" being horrific with completely out-of-character plot for almost everyone and Paris and Janeway turn into *salamaders* for some reason, "Macrocosm" being the stupidest Trek premise by a long shot). They also turned the Borg from a terrifying menace into their version of the Daleks, the most routinely defeatable enemies in the Trek universe.

Brett

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 4:38 am 

Quote:

Post subject:
Re: Last Episode of Star Trek - 50 years ago today.

I have been watching some of the old episodes on one of the OTA classic rerun channels. Watching it on a big flat screen, I am starting to pick out some details that must have escaped me when I watched it decades ago, I see stuff and think "cool!" or "wow I never noticed that before". Maybe the TVs at the time were the problem.

I worked at TV stations that carried Star Trek in syndication. In the pre-satellite days, the program was "bicycled" from one station to the next on 16MM film. Cue marks, scratches, bad splices, finger handling and general degradation of the image making the distribution prints made the shows look pretty sad. When you see it today on HD television from the digitally remastered original, it looks just great!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 4:57 am 

K9DXL wrote:
Quote:

Post subject:
Re: Last Episode of Star Trek - 50 years ago today.

I worked at TV stations that carried Star Trek in syndication. In the pre-satellite days, the program was "bicycled" from one station to the next on 16MM film. Cue marks, scratches, bad splices, finger handling and general degradation of the image making the distribution prints made the shows look pretty sad. When you see it today on HD television from the digitally remastered original, it looks just great!

The boxed set I bought years ago was digitally remastered and "enhanced". They did a really good job, planets look more "real", Enterprise engines look like they have some kick, phaser and other effects are great and naturally, the enhancements to the The Gamesters of Triskelion are well worth watching ..

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 7:14 pm 

I am posting this as additional info Re: Star Trek and Jeffery Hunter as Capt Christopher Pike.
Hunter died unexpectedly within a week of Trek's last episode.

His apparent cause of death revisits our ARF post(s) about Ladders & Falls:
On May 27 1969, Hunter tragically died (42) during surgery to repair a skull fracture resulting from
a fall in his home after he had suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.
His death occurred
only one week before the airing of the final Original Series episode, "Turnabout Intruder" on June 3.

Shortly before his death, in an incident that received little mention in the press, he suffered from
stroke-like symptoms with semi-paralysis of his right arm and loss of speech capability during
a flight from Spain to the United States. Injuries Hunter had received a few weeks prior, on a
movie set in Spain, when a car window shattered near him, were suggested as the cause of
these symptoms, and also of the stroke that led to his death.

Christopher Hunter, Jeffrey's son, in an interview for an E! Mysteries & Scandals episode dealing
with his father, stated that he thought the explosion cracked his skull. Later in the program,
Christopher made the statement that "I think alcoholism did contribute to his death as much
as anything else."

Further reading:"The Unknown Captain", Glenn A. Mosley, Starlog, issue 231, October 1995,
pp. 22-25 (retrospective with excerpts from period interviews).

External links:
A Tribute to Jeffrey Hunter
Jeffrey Hunter at Brian'sDriveinTheater.com
Jeffrey Hunter at TestermanSciFi.org
Jeffrey Hunter at Wikipedia
Jeffrey Hunter at IMDb

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 4:19 pm 

tbone8 wrote:
I read somewherez once that the series was considered to be bought by another network but the filming set got destroyed due to the cancellation. The cost to rebuild the set put the kibosh on the sale... :(

I believe you're actually talking about the 1960's tv series "Batman".Another network wanted to pick up the series,but when they found out that the very expensive bat cave set had already been destroyed,they changed their minds.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 12:59 am 

Mike C. wrote:
tbone8 wrote:

I believe you're actually talking about the 1960's tv series "Batman".Another network wanted to pick up the series,but when they found out that the very expensive bat cave set had already been destroyed,they changed their minds.
Maybe both but I remember repeated talks about 'bringing back Star Trek' and it was always claimed that the bugaboo was it would cost too much to recreate all the sets (because they were ostensibly destroyed when the show was cancelled).

Does kinda make one wonder how they managed to 'economically' create the sets for the original show.

Then, of course, the rumors began again after Star Trek The Motion Picture because... now they have sets!

Still didn't happen.

Then TNG came out, with ALL NEW SETS.

Hmm. Sounds to me like the 'sets' thing is a convenient excuse.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:12 am 

Desilu Studios was the cheapest studio in Hollywood. Star Trek was underfunded, not supported with advertising to any serious degree and the network kept moving it around on the schedule. The shows stories were too far ahead of its time for much of the audience in 1966. By the time Next Gen showed up the special effects were mostly top notch, the show had a huge budget and could hire top writers and Paramount supported the show with promotions and advertising. Also,the audience had grown more sophisticated.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:13 am 

egg wrote:
Star Trek was first broadcast in the United Kingdom on BBC One starting on July 12, 1969 with the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before". The first episode broadcast in color was "Arena" on November 15, 1969

I was seven years old, and I still have my phaser, set to Stun, of course... :wink:

:) Greg.

Nice photo of Captain Hairweave Greg. :wink:

William Shatner - 1957...
Attachment:
Capt Kirk.jpg
Capt Kirk.jpg [ 50.54 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... stime.html

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:40 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Nice photo of Captain Hairweave Greg. :wink:

Hey, easy there, that's the prototype Shatner "Turbo 2000" hairpiece, the most powerful toupee' ever created!

Brett

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 4:00 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Desilu Studios was the cheapest studio in Hollywood. Star Trek was underfunded, not supported with advertising to any serious degree and the network kept moving it around on the schedule. The shows stories were too far ahead of its time for much of the audience in 1966. By the time Next Gen showed up the special effects were mostly top notch, the show had a huge budget and could hire top writers and Paramount supported the show with promotions and advertising. Also,the audience had grown more sophisticated.
Yet, for all of TNG's supposed 'advantages' TOS had more top notch shows even though it had less than half the air time.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 4:55 am 

Gene Roddenberry managed to cajole some of the top science fiction novelists of the 60s into writing scripts for TOS. Then he told them that they could write whatever they wanted, and he would argue with the censors and execs. The result was a lot of scripts that seem farsighted today but that were likely considered downright weird/creepy back in the late 60s.

The episode where a rogue Starfleet brass recreates Nazi Germany on another planet likely went over like a lead balloon with an audience full of men who had fought in Europe against the Nazis barely a quarter century prior. There's an episode where Kirk and Uhuru kiss, something that even Roddenberry tried to softpedal in an era where race riots in the real world were the norm. Several episodes make fun of hippies, at a time when Hollywood was trying to court that demographic.

It all added up to a show whose audience consisted mainly of university professors, hardcore scifi geeks, and maybe a few executives tossed in. The audience was loyal but too niche for the show to turn a profit. High cost of production + low ad revenues = banhammer. I'm reminded of another scifi show that was innovative but had the same problem with profit: Dark Angel (2000-01). Jessica Alba as a genetically enhanced superhero living in a postapocalyptic Seattle, who becomes a champion of the oppressed at the urging of a rogue zillionaire who likes to interrupt TV broadcasts with brief revolutionary messages. Cool premise, and the writers made a good effort to avoid falling into a rut, but the numbers simply didn't add up.

The good thing about internet based TV is that revenues are done along different lines, allowing oddball shows to get large fanbases. The Man In The High Castle (Amazon Prime) would never fly on old fashioned network TV, but online it's hugely popular. The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) also turned out to be a good idea on streaming TV. I think a streaming TV revival of Dark Angel would be a really good idea.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 5:21 am 

Flipperhome wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
Yet, for all of TNG's supposed 'advantages' TOS had more top notch shows even though it had less than half the air time.

Well, that's one opinion. :wink:

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 4:47 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:

Well, that's one opinion. :wink:
Quite right, but not without merit.

The Hugo Science Fiction Award ---

TNG: 2 Wins out of 3 Nominations.

TOS: 2 Wins out of 8 nominations.

Now, that might seem 'close' but one show ran for 7 years and the other 3. But even more relevant, all 8 TOS nominations are from seasons 1 and 2. Meaning, in season 1 there were 3 TOS episodes competing against each other for the one award and in season 2 a full 5 were competing against each other. The 'best of TOS' was competing against the 'best of TOS'.

Of course, speculation about 'what might have been' is largely futile, because it didn't happen that way, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that if those 8 TOS nominations had been spread out (as the TNG nominations were) over 8 years they would have had 8 wins.

But, as it turned out, we had at least 8 superb TOS episodes crammed into 2 years whereas it took an agonizing 7 years to see 3 in TNG.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next