Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 4:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dramatic improvements in four cylinder output and value
PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 6:36 pm 

Bob, you and your wife are cheating yourselves if you keep avoiding proper rear wheel drive cars. Fuel mileage is just one of many factors, and far from the most important. Even for somebody who drives as much as I do,
a 50% improvement in mileage would not be much money. Certainly not enough to accept lesser cornering, braking, ride, acceleration or safety.

Several cars now have suspension adjustments controlled by forward scanning pavement sensors.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 6:47 pm 

With all of the computerized drivetrain controls the difference between FWD versus RWD cars is becoming less and less. The ride and handling of the car we looked at was pretty great. That and it being a Honda means it will be nearly perfect in terms of quality materials and reliability.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 7:26 pm 

Honda was more or less ahead of the curve in early electric hybrid design. Sounds like they've stayed there :)

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 7:40 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Quote:
I don't give a gnats behind about economy.

well, getting twice the power out of half the cylinders is economy, whether you care about the gnats or not :-D

What exactly do you need 700 horsepower for on the street anyway? 8)

You don't always need it, but when you want it, it's there. Nothing wrong with 700 hp that 800 hp won't fix. Take your daily driver out to the drag strip, have some fun, drive home again. Someone else has more power than you and won't let you pass. Seldom happens, but I have happened to me when I was driving a slug. I hate it when that happens. Besides that, my firm belief is that there is no such thing of too much horsepower.
And look at the start of this topic - they made a 4 banger give more horsepower. People like that. I guess I'm not alone. And there's nothing wrong with a four banger for gwanny, she'll never use 100 of those horspowers waiting to be unleashed. But that just isn't what I like.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 9:04 pm 

More instantly available power is a safety feature. You can get away from stuff coming towards you, or away from questionable situations.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 11:42 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
More instantly available power is a safety feature. You can get away from stuff coming towards you, or away from questionable situations.

Only if you happen to be in reverse while they are coming toward you. :D

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 5:56 am 

Mark D wrote:
So, they've made a 4 popper motor to make V8 style horsepower only tells me that a modern V8 can make twice the power of the new 4 banger. And there is truth to that. Go out to your local drag strip and notice what sort of power they're getting from their engines.
That same technology can be put into a V8 on the street. And, that also has been done. To me, it's all about performance and I don't give a gnats behind about economy.
Mark D.
Did you see that Ford has announced that the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 with a 5.2 liter supercharged V8 will have 760 horsepower and 625 lb-ft of torque?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 4:44 pm 

Yep, I have seen that. Too bad that it's a Ford. I wish I hadn't sold the two Corvettes that I had in sequential stints. Being only 300 hp they weren't much, but for the time they were. But not enough for me, so I put my own version of a small block Chebby and then all was well. I did it to the first one, a '65, then sold it for whatever reason that I can't fathom today, regretted doing that, so I found another one, a '67 and did an even better trick. I used it to drive to the Cities from Litchfield to work every day of the week during dry road season. I can't afford the parts to build another bad boy engine but I still have my stock car motor. It's pretty decent for power on the street. I need to find a car to put it in.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 7:17 pm 

My 2006 Ford Explorer was the most reliable vehicle I have owned. Why be against Ford? Ram pickups are now outselling Chevrolet, as the lousy GM interiors are finally costing them loyalty they may never get back.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 8:42 pm 

FORD: Found On Road Dead ...... Fix Or Repair Daily

j/k .... Ford got over their poor reliability issues a few decades ago..... decent stuff now

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 9:37 pm 

I admit that if I had a choice of only two brands, Dodge and Ford, I would have to take the Ford. I also have some other little euphemism's but not here.

They might have brought their quality to make them live longer before they 'explodeR' but that's new stuff. I've never owned a car that was more than ten years old, so if I were to get a Ford, it would still be in the junk yard status to most people, but just fine with me as long as it's not a Ford or a Dodge. I had a Honda for a while. Most reliable car I ever had. It never had one single thing go wrong with it mechanically. But it was soooo BORING to drive I couldn't stand the thing. I didn't keep it for long. The only reason I had it was because my son up in Fargo left it in the Twin Cities when he bought a new Audi and drove that back to Fargo. I brought the car back here, planning to bring it up to Fargo soon. Well, a week after I brought it to my place an envelope from him arrived in the mail. Inside was the title, signed. He didn't want it. Why? because, as it turned out, he couldn't stand it because it was so boring. Obviously he takes after his dad.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 10:29 pm 

Its amazing how slow some older 4 banger cars used to be. The SLOWSEST thing I've ever had the displeasure of driving was a 1985 Isuzu P'up. Not sure anyone remembers them but they were the absolute cheapest truck you could buy. This one belonged to my Dad's friend who used it for his air conditioning business. he let me borrow it one day to go pick up a riding mower. It had a very small 4 cylinder diesel engine and a stick shift. I recall getting onto the freeway entrance ramp and absolutely flooring it, of which to my horror it barely moved. I thought I was going to get run over by the oncoming traffic.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 52 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3