Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 21, 2020 7:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Around The World With Superman (Need Help Identifying)Solved
PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 1:43 am 

We seen Superman taking this little girl with the plaid shirt on a tour, and we were trying to find out which episode this was derived from. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments:
Around The World With Superman (Photo).jpg
Around The World With Superman (Photo).jpg [ 68.3 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]

Last edited by Blustar1 on Jun Wed 12, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Around The World With Superman (Need Help Identifying)
PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 2:37 am 

Season 2 (1954) Episode 26 (March13).

PostPosted: Jun Fri 07, 2019 2:55 am 

You're on the right track, but this one is in color. In fact, as shown in the photo, Superman is flying with another little girl.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 5:49 am 

There was color TV available in 1954;

Attachments:
Howdy1.JPG
Howdy1.JPG [ 37.79 KiB | Viewed 1305 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 1:32 pm 

Yes, I remember watching Superman in first B&W and later Color.
I believe I recall this episode. IIRC, the little girl was confined to a wheelchair.

The opening credits of Superman was quite thrilling for a 5 year old! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0B1ufyXOds

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 2:30 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:
I believe I recall this episode. IIRC, the little girl was confined to a wheelchair.

The opening credits still give this 67 year old goose bumps!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 4:38 pm 

They began filming the show in color in 1954, but it was not broadcast in color until 1965.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 4:40 pm 

When we saw this photo, we thought that it was really cute. What little American girl wouldn't want to fly around the world with Superman? I'm still searching for that particular episode as it does in fact exist, and that's written in stone.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 5:01 pm 

I believe poster ggargia is correct. Season 2 was filmed in black & white, it appears that your photo has been colorized.

"Around the World with Superman"

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4pl984

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 5:07 pm 

Ken Doyle wrote: "I believe poster ggargia is correct. Season 2 was filmed in black & white, it appears that your photo has been colorized."

It's not the same girl who appeared in that particular episode which ggrgia quoted. In fact, judging from the appearance, I would say that it was an episode from one of the later seasons.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 1:21 am 

Dennis H. wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:

The opening credits still give this 67 year old goose bumps!
I agree. It's perhaps the best 'super hero' opening of all time.

Since the matter of color came up, as a little kid watching the opening I can distinctly remember wondering why they changed the opening from a terrific scene of a 'powerful' (looking to me) steam locomotive, with a closeup of those great spinning wheels pushed by massive rods, to a scene with a diesel train whizzing by that was, to a little kid, not nearly as evocative of 'power'. I mean, all the rest was the same great opening so why change the train?

It would be decades before I got the answer. That was the year they switched to color, even though broadcast in B&W, and they had to reshoot the opening. Apparently they thought the 'black' steam locomotive didn't show off the color so they switched to a red/yellow(?) colored diesel train.

Never think a little kid 'wont notice'. :mrgreen:

Of course, at the time, I didn't have any idea what 'power' there was in a train but those spinning wheels and massive push rods just seemed like it must be powerful.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 4:12 am 

ggargia wrote:
Season 2 (1954) Episode 26 (March13).

In that episode, the girl was Judy Nugent.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:55 pm 

Here are two photos of two little American girls flying around the world with Superman. One was derived from the black and white episode 'The Birthday Letter', and the other one was taken from the black and white episode 'Around The World With Superman'.

Clearly, the original color photo reveals an entirely different little girl flying around the world with Superman, and it sure appears that the color photo was taken from an episode during the later seasons (perhaps 1957-1958). I'm still searching for that particular color episode as it's got to be buried in one of those episodes somewhere.

Attachments:
Photo 3 (From the Episode 'The Birthday Letter'.jpg
Photo 3 (From the Episode 'The Birthday Letter'.jpg [ 54.74 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]
Photo 2 (From Episode 'Around The World With Superman'.jpg
Photo 2 (From Episode 'Around The World With Superman'.jpg [ 39.56 KiB | Viewed 1122 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 4:04 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PevRzecudoI

This was where I found a short clip of the little American girl flying around the world with Superman (1:38-1:47). This particular episode was obviously from the later seasons which were filmed in color.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:06 am 

The little girl was played by Janine Perreau. It’s from season 4, episode 1, titled “Joey”.

You can see them flying approximately 16 minutes, 20 or so seconds into the episode.

You can find the episode on YouTube by searching for “adventure of Superman s4e1”.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:29 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCnE7C51vtc

Yes, that was it all right. The flying scene with the little girl in the plaid shirt was taken from the 1956 episode "Joey" during Season 4. I've previously seen the photo of the little girl in the stable with the horse, but she appeared somewhat older so that's what threw me off. Thanks! I sure thought that everybody gave up on this by now. Thanks again!

Post subject: Re: Around The World With Superman (Need Help Identifying)So
PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:00 pm 

The openings were changed when they went to color as well. Not only did they go to a diesel locomotive (gotta love that Mars Light out in front) as pointed out by a previous poster, but the "leap tall buildings" building looks different, "it's a bird, it's a plane" people are gone, only audio, and the "faster than a speeding bullet" gun went from a S&W to a Colt.

I never knew the reason till I read Flipperhome's comment! What a great TV series! I finally got all the episodes on DVD!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:05 am 

Mike DeMeo wrote:
The openings were changed when they went to color as well. Not only did they go to a diesel locomotive (gotta love that Mars Light out in front) as pointed out by a previous poster, but the "leap tall buildings" building looks different, "it's a bird, it's a plane" people are gone, only audio, and the "faster than a speeding bullet" gun went from a S&W to a Colt.

I never knew the reason till I read Flipperhome's comment! What a great TV series! I finally got all the episodes on DVD!
Yup. Quite a bit was changed. Of course, as a kid, I didn't know a Colt from a Smith and Wesson but I could tell it 'looked different'.

Another difference is the color version doesn't have the opening space shot with an asteroid? shooting in and exploding into the title screen. It does in the closing credits so why not the opening?

Did you ever wonder why the 'it's a bird, it's a plane' people seem so excited? You'd think they've never seen these things before. I mean, I can understand Superman but a bird? A plane? Oh look, a cloud! :lol:

Ah, back in the days when super heroes really were super. They didn't wrestle with their inner demons. They just did GOOD, without reservation, and saved us from evil in the never ending fight for truth, justice, and the American way!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:40 am 

I remember discussing this episode with my friends when I was a kid. Our conclusions went something like this:

So, we're asked to believe Superman flew around the world with that little girl in his arms. In something like an afternoon? But the girl is not wearing googles, a helmet or appropriate clothing. Top speed is limited to 15~20mph in this situation, probably less. It would have taken them weeks to complete the trip, even if we exclude down time for sleep, meals, occasional shower, change of socks, etc. They can't fly too high either, it'd get too cold. And whose parents are going to let their daughter go off with a clearly unusual sort of guy for a few weeks? No, it's just not believable.

Rob

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:38 am 

Hey, it's SUPERMAN, not some regular flying schmuck! He probably creates a shock wave or has a force field and whatever else it takes, because,,,, He's SUPERMAN! Jeez some people need everything explained when it is as plain as can be. :P

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next