Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 10:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Puppy Linux to the rescue
PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 2:40 pm 

I use a old IBM laptop T60 laptop on my bench where I print my labels, surf the web and print postage for my cap sales and last week it would not boot. My heart sank as it had all my templates to print the labels, website index files, mp3's, pictures, etc. I have been meaning to back it up but I never did, call it procrastination. I couldn't even boot in safe mode. I have been meaning to cut over to my Windows 10 desktop but you guessed it... procrastination once again.

I remembered I have a very old version of Puppy Linux so I booted my old laptop with it. I was able to see all the files on the hard drive so I transferred the files to a USB stick and loaded them on my Win 10 computer.. Whew, I was lucky there. Windows must have been corrupted but the drive was still good. Close call. I removed the hard drive to preserve the data and I purchased a 128gb solid state drive for $20.00 I have since loaded Cinnamon Linux on the IBM T60 laptop to try it out.

Sal

Post subject: Re: Puppy Linux to the rescue
PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 2:45 pm 

+1
Linux will work on hardware where no other currently-supported OS will. Saves things going to landfills if nothing else.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:26 pm 

Mark,

We'll eventually get them all over here with us! :mrgreen:

(Sent from an 11-YO ex-Windows Vista machine running 64 bit Linux Mint)

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:33 pm 

I am typing this on a HP 635 laptop manufactured in 2012 that is currently using Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. I have used Linux Mint on it for two years and really like it. A big plus is that you don't have to shell out big $$$$ for virus/firewall protection-most viruses run on Windows, since that's what most end user PCs run, so Linux is largely immune to the viruses that constantly scan for Windows computers to encrypt and then demand $10k in bitcoin to decrypt. Linux is also far more stable than Windows. My latest idea for a business venture is to buy old outdated desktop PCs that originally ran XP or Vista, slap Linux Mint on them, then flip them on Ebay.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:44 pm 

There's a firewall app that gets installed with Linux Mint. You have to turn it on after a fresh install.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:47 pm 

There is a reason that Linux is now the number one OS in the world....

Watch out for that EBay venture. There's a lingering perception that "PC" means Windows. Thus, the ubiquitous discussions about "PC vs. Mac".
If I were doing it, I would simply declare that the unit is configured with the Mint OS, which is the number one Operating System in the increasingly popular Open-Source Software initiative. Also draw the parallel to the very successful Chromebooks.
I would also emphasize a little-known fact. The Mint OS will run most Windows applications.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:48 pm 

mgrant wrote:
There's a firewall app that gets installed with Linux Mint. You have to turn it on after a fresh install.

Really???---Not here

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 4:08 pm 

Sent via Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS on a Dell GX280, 2004. Still using 1.4 floppy drive :roll: to support a 1999 Sony Mavica camera... Hey, it takes native 640/480 pix...
Have a duplicate Dell in the eLab and a o360 64 bit Dell for my wife, laptop Dell 8500 all MATE. When a major upgrade goes around, its an all day process for the four computers, slowski Comcast. All the Dells had to be upgraded to a DVD drive to support the Linux disc. I purchased pre-recorded discs instead of download and burn.

https://www.osdisc.com/index.html

(fascinating)

Could not be happier with their service/product.

I have but one "issue" I have not been able to successfully for more than a day to locally network all the computers Recently too, network access to a printer on another computer has quit.

When I was running straight Ubuntu, every so often I would loose this access to the printer when CUPS was up-graded. I would have to find the printer on every computer when that happened.

So I have an alternate solution. I just don't print much or swap data, I copy to a stick and take it to the machine with the desired printer. No big deal, its a home, not an office...

Chas

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 5:40 pm 

pixellany wrote:
mgrant wrote:

Really???---Not here

Yes, really. Maybe they turned it on by default in the latest version. There was a web site that listed important things to do after installing Mint. One was to turn on the firewall program. Three different installs of Mint and I found it turned off. Something to check anyway. Don't assume it's on.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 10:50 pm 

pixellany wrote:
mgrant wrote:

Really???---Not here

Included in my Mint distro, and many Ubuntu distros too:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW?a ... rewall_ufw

Default for Mint appears to be "off" as it's installed and inactive.

Code:
sudo ufw status verbose
- tells you the status

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:17 pm 

I misinterpreted---I thought the statement was that the user had to do something during or after the install.

Ever since standardizing on Linux over 10 years ago, I never do anything with anti-virus, firewalls, and the like. Superior OSes can make one lazy....;)

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 3:31 pm 

pixellany wrote:
........Superior OSes can make one lazy....;)

and grateful!

For the rest of ya, how are those June 2019 Win 10 release 1803 to 1903 updates going????? :shock:

" The new Windows 10 version 1903 update is big in size (2GB-4GB). If your internet connection is slow, it may take hours to download.
Also, we recommend remove all external devices connected to your device while checking for updates. Because there may driver conflict cause Windows 10 1903 update to fail
."

Disk usage was consistently 100% on most WIN10 machines at work on Friday. As of 2PM, 11% of the update downloaded........one program (SlickServer64) took 11 minutes to load, and then crashed, and failed to load again, so that machine was isolated and the "desk" sent home for the weekend......

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 5:45 pm 

The thing with Win10 is, Microsoft finally realized that users were trading tips on how to circumvent the annoying parts of Windows online, so MS simply plugged all the "holes". Now Windows users are forced to run their OS as Microsoft wants them to, period. No shortcuts, no switching off automatic updates, nada. And Windows keeps getting more and more bloated. The underlying kernel is the Windows NT kernel which was first programmed maybe 25 years ago. NTOSKRNL is proprietary, so it likely doesn't "evolve" like the Linux kernel does. So, you have underlying code written in the days of 3.5" floppy disks and 16 Mhz clock speed CPU's and Microsoft is desperately trying to work around the kernel's limitations. Coding a new kernel would be pretty much impossible-it would cost many billions of dollars and involve more programmers than currently exist with kernel coding skills. So Windows is more and more becoming like those buildings in Old Havana that are held together with wooden props, cheap patching, and hope (since Communists don't pray). It's awful that people are being forced to leave their computers on for 24+ hours and being unable to do anything with them while Windows downloads and installs its updates.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 8:07 pm 

I've been using Linux without complaints since Windows XP EOL. :)

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 9:18 pm 

Why are you-all so focused on the OS? First select the application software, then decide what is best to run it.

Last edited by FStephenMasek on Jun Mon 17, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 4:09 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Why are you-all so focused on the OS? First select the application software, then decide what is best to run it.

That's easy---
1. The OS is the heart of the system----everyone has to live with it, users, the application, etc. Most computer users are not so dependent on a specific application that they have to exclude a major OS from their consideration.

2. For the most common types of applications, there are versions available for all major platforms. In many cases, a specific application is ported to all the major platforms.

3. Specifically for Linux, there is now software that allows Windows or MacOS SW to run on Linux.

Obviously, these generalities do not apply to everyone.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 5:55 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
pixellany wrote:
........Superior OSes can make one lazy....;)

and grateful!

For the rest of ya, how are those June 2019 Win 10 release 1803 to 1903 updates going????? :shock:

" The new Windows 10 version 1903 update is big in size (2GB-4GB). If your internet connection is slow, it may take hours to download.
Also, we recommend remove all external devices connected to your device while checking for updates. Because there may driver conflict cause Windows 10 1903 update to fail
."

Disk usage was consistently 100% on most WIN10 machines at work on Friday. As of 2PM, 11% of the update downloaded........one program (SlickServer64) took 11 minutes to load, and then crashed, and failed to load again, so that machine was isolated and the "desk" sent home for the weekend......

Wow, I guess I should fire up the windows boxen, and pop some popcorn, and fire up the roku.......