Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 10:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm getting a little discouraged...
PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 6:38 am 

I've feeling a little discouraged lately. It feels like nothing is going right. I'm having issues with my shop, it's just not working out like it's suppose too, and money keeps getting tighter. My van broke down, so no flea markets until I get it fixed. I found some radios I really love and am trying to get them but I just found out shipping it almost $80!! One of those radios was going to be my first attempt at restoring because I love it so much, but there's no way I can afford $80 shipping. Just feels like i'm not going to be able to do this, it's like one thing after another, Has anyone else gone through something like this? I hate to sound like i'm whining, I just wanted to talk to someone about it, I don't have that many friends in my small town. I'm hoping the show in Blue Ash next Saturday will re-ignite the spark. I really hope I can meet some of you, I went last year, I think, but i got there super late and didn't have time to meet that many people. I just needed to vent, I appreciate you even taking the time to read the post, I hope you guys don't think i'm a little cry baby. lol Thanks guys! -John

Post subject: Re: I'm getting a little discouraged...
PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:29 am 
Site Admin

It's called depression. Get a copy of the book "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David Burns as an excellent first step.

Whether it's temporary or not, getting a good perspective on what is going on is essential.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:39 am 

Everyone goes through rough spots in the road---the important thing to remember that as long as you work at it, it's temporary

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:48 am 

Life is cyclical; everyone has ups and downs. AFA the radio you really really want, why not just get that one, to lower the shipping cost? Half a loaf is better than no loaf at all...

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 9:01 am 

Thanks guys. I don't know why, but I thought for sure i was going to get made fun of. lol True, I did ask the lady if she'd just ship me one or two at a time. Other than that I've been dealing with depression and OCD all my life. I'm going to therapy and doing everything I can to better myself, I just get stuck in a rut sometimes. I know the meet at Blue Ash will help, I am very excited for it. Anyone else going? Thanks -John

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:35 pm 

First, the easy stuff. Shipping is ALWAYS a deal killer these days. I've got some beautiful vintage test gear, not the collectable variety but useful HP former lab grade tube stuff, etc, that I'd sell for $50, but shipping would probably be $80-100 so guess what ..... no one will buy. I will probably list them as pickup only and I'll just have to hope someone nearby wants them. Look for them later this summer ;-)

As for things not going well ... probably due to mild depression, which I go in and out of as well, and I'm almost retired! Maybe too much free time now, I dunno, but some days it's the smallest things that make me want to just call it a day and watch reruns of Batman.

Tomorrow will be better. Until you get to the point of being non functional, don't let anyone talk you into therapy or taking pills. Yet. :). I've known several people that were prescribed medications for this that either turned them into zombies, or made the problem worse. So heal thyself if at all possible......

I get truly depressed, btw, if I watch too much news or talk shows. So give those up immediately!!!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:46 pm 

No shortage of radios, they will always be around. Radios find new homes when their owners pass on or give it up :)

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:21 pm 

OP.....

PM me an address where I can send a radio. I’m going to a storage unit this week. I have a late 30s Wood Emerson you might like......hopefully I can find it amongst all the junk. Free. I pay postage. 40 years ago, I was feeling like you are now.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:03 pm 

stillthesame wrote:
OP.....

PM me an address where I can send a radio. I’m going to a storage unit this week. I have a late 30s Wood Emerson you might like......hopefully I can find it amongst all the junk. Free. I pay postage. 40 years ago, I was feeling like you are now.

You Sir, are a True Gentleman.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:52 pm 

processhead wrote:
stillthesame wrote:
OP.....

You Sir, are a True Gentleman.

And a scholar! Very nice indeed.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:59 pm 

Thanks, y’all.

I await his PM with a mailing address.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 2:36 pm 

Okay, no response from OP.

I went to storage unit and, like anything you need, it was in the back. Dug it out. AX212, left bullseye, inlays appears intact, most of original back is there and needs electronic restoration.

If I wake up Wednesday and still no response, I’ll put it on eBay since I don’t need it in the house and don’t want to schlep it back to the storage unit.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 3:25 pm 

Read all about it here, Emerson AX212:

http://www.tuberadioland.com/EmersonAX-212_main.html

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 4:25 pm 

PM sent! This really means a lot guys. Thank you for your support and advice. You guys are definitely helping me out of this rut I'm in! This site has the nicest bunch of guys I've ever met, and I am so glad I became a member. I honestly would have given up a long time ago if it weren't for you guys. So again, I thank you for everything! -John

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 6:22 pm 

Just shipped UPS ground. Tracking number sent to you in PM.

It should arrive Thursday.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 7:51 pm 

jstouffer1989 wrote:
This site has the nicest bunch of guys I've ever met, and I am so glad I became a member. I honestly would have given up a long time ago if it weren't for you guys.

SSsshhhh...Don't ruin our reputation; we're supposed to be a bunch of cranky curmudgeons... :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 5:31 am 

John,
To help you further restoring the radio a member of ARF here is sending you, I'll send you my axial capacitor kit #3 and 50 Piece Electrolytic Radial Capacitors no charge, just send me a PM with your mailing address.

Regards,
Sal

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 5:55 am 

Hey man, things will get better I promise! I try to look at it this way would you rather have all the bad things happen at once or have them constantly annoy you when things are going well I try to look it at like that! Also, I feel like having all the bad things happen starts a new beginning, as you enjoy more of the good things that come your way! Keep your head up and don't let life's little things bring you down!
-John

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 6:06 am 

The ups and downs are always there, just a small change of scenery can make a huge difference ! Looking forward to seeing that set.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 8:27 am 

I cannot wait to see the radio too!! The spark has certainly been re-ignited guys! Thanks for all your support. I also want to thank Sal Brisindi, he is sending me some parts to help with the restoration. I'm not going to lie, everyone's generosity and help has brought a tear to my eye more than once. I think i've said it before but you guys are some of the nicest people I've ever met, no joke. You've helped me with any questions I have, and helped with everything else, really. I really hope someday I can pay you all back in some way for all you've done for me. If I can't, I promise to pay everything forward, hopefully when i'm a bit older, I can help a young one just starting out, just like you guys have for me. I mean all this from the bottom of my heart. Sorry for getting corny, but I really want all of you to know how much I appreciate everything. If you're going to Blue Ash, look for a guy with either a blue or green shirt, plaid shorts, and a VW hat. I would really love to meet as many of you as I can. I hope to see you there! -John