Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 23, 2019 12:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: lawn mower got me!
PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:42 am 

It's amazing how fast things can go wrong with a simple task :twisted: Hope it heals quickly and good luck with the surgery Ed.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 2:58 pm 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
It's amazing how fast things can go wrong with a simple task :twisted: Hope it heals quickly and good luck with the surgery Ed.

Thanks Lou. Foot surgery went well. My finger looks like it will survive. Sitting in a recliner waiting for healing to take place. Bored as heck.

Attachment:
IMG_3633.jpg
IMG_3633.jpg [ 43.2 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 3:15 pm 

Ouch! :shock:

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 5:12 pm 

I was going to make a smart-azz comment earlier to the effect of "pictures, or it never happened."
Arrgh... I can only imagine how much that wound is throbbing.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 5:50 pm 

processhead wrote:
I was going to make a smart-azz comment earlier to the effect of "pictures, or it never happened."
Arrgh... I can only imagine how much that wound is throbbing.

Actually, it's not as bad as I thought it would be considering that it was more off than on. Until I bump it. I wonder how long it will be until it's totally healed.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 6:54 pm 

Ed, hope you heal soon. I, as well as others will always be thankful for what you have done for us. Hopefully our good wishes will help.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 4:03 am 

Be on guard for infection. I lost most of my right thumb due to infection last year. Mashed it good enough to split it open like a grape, shattered the bones in at least 7 pieces and because of the machine that got me, it got infected and went necrotic and had to be amputated. My entire hand was actually crushed, so all the knuckles don't work right any more, and I broke the ulna at the same time. I spent a month on IV antibiotics 4hrs on/4hrs off......no fun at all. Lost motion in hand and lots of feeling. And naturally I'm right handed. I'd post pics, but they are pretty graphic.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 2:16 pm 

Wow Tony, you really went through alot. To lose the function of your dominant hand is bad enough, let alone lose your thumb. What kind of machine got you, a press?

I agree about infection. I keep inspecting it and hoping that it doesn't start to darken or lose feeling. I've seen how fast an infection can take hold. My grandson played with a rotting fish, and within a day had to have his thumbnail removed.

So you got an infection even though you were on antibiotics for so long? Must have been one of those bugs immune to antibiotics.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 3:01 pm 

Well, I got my hand caught between the belt and the drive roll on a hydraulic powered conveyor about 36" wide x 24 feet long. Not really sure how. Have a memory block there. But I think I was feeling of the bearings in the outboard pillow block to see if they were warm or rough. I was evaluating the entire machine ( a McClosky Trommel Screen similar to this one https://www.mccloskeyinternational.com/ ... mels/621RE ) for a rebuild. I must have lost my balance, perhaps watching the moving belt, or something, and fell towards the machine. I really don't remember. My hand must have slipped off the pillow block and the belt was the nearest thing to contact. I vividly remember feeling my hand travel around the roll (about 8-10" diameter) and thinking OH NO!. I didn't yell or scream or anything. I was working alone, so just grabbed a shop towel to apply pressure and walked towards the field road where I knew there to be some traffic (35 acre work area). A driver on a swivel loader stopped and went for the manager who drove me to the ER. He was pretty freaked out. Younger guy, about 25 I think. I had to tell him how to get to the ER. He was in more shock than I was. Had the first of 5 surgeries that night. This all happened shortly before noon. Yes, I know I should not have been running the machine without all guards in place, but they were already off for the thorough cleaning and maintenance the machine was getting. And yes I know I should not have been working around a running machine like that alone. Yes I know I should never have had my hands anywhere near the moving parts. Funny how knowing all this and more didn't stop me. I guess working around machinery for so long, complacency got me.

The belt is about 3/8" thick and fiber reinforced like tires, so it doesn't stretch. My hand went around it palm inward on the drive roll, which is textured with some little nubs for grip, and went around about 180° before it let go. I was bodily thrown to my left, which twisted my arm, which I think is why it broke. Stressed my left hip also, which I had broken and had repaired a year prior. It's still not right and I use a cane at times. The belt was tight enough, stiff enough, and didn't allow room for my hand to travel around between it and the roll, hence the ruptured thumb and everything. I used to play classical guitar. Now they all just look at me like I am stupid. I guess I should get rid of them.

The infectious part is something maybe everyone should be aware of. This machine is used to separate by size ground up mulch/compost. There are many pathogens at work breaking down organic matter in that mixture. I was caught by 4 major pathogens. I can't recall the specific names of them, but they were all pretty stubborn to kill. If you are simply working in your flower bed or garden adding compost and get a splinter or have an open wound, you can end up with a stubborn infection, so please be careful. Wear gloves at least. Part of my IV (PICC line) was done in hospital, and part in a skilled nursing facility. None of it was any fun.

I think that's end of story, except I'll never have full use of my right hand again, and hope never to get caught off guard like that again. I still work around some of that machinery (there is a Hogzilla on that site....quite the machine to behold), but now I just advise and consult. I touch nothing.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 3:26 pm 

Tony, thanks for sharing your story. Glad you are still here to share it, so others can hopefully learn from it.

I try to stay aware of the risks in my work, hobbies and home activities, but realize that none of us can stay totally aware 100% of the time in every situation.

Perhaps the best any of us can do is be aware of the risks and minimize them the best we can, while still getting something accomplished. Or maybe sometimes just know when to walk away when the risks are too great.

Probably the one thing that helps me the most is stop and take a couple minutes to look at a job, and not just rush to get started.

That other 4% is the one we all have to look out for. :wink:

Last edited by processhead on Jun Mon 24, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 3:40 pm 

I'm just glad it let me go after half a turn. It would easily have pulled me in, or pulled my arm off. I probably would have bled out there in just a few minutes. The hydraulic motor I would estimate at about 20 hp. Afterwards, it kind of scared me, thinking about what might have happened. It could have been much, much worse. It's made me more aware, that's for sure. This all happened in less than 2 seconds. It was mentally like " I cannot believe I just did that!". But it didn't take long for reality to set in. Oddly, I didn't bleed a drop until after the X-ray of the arm where they had me hold my forearm up against the wall held film. Saw drips on the floor.....is that mine? And I skipped right through triage. They were in a rush. Got into a treatment room where they shot me with morphine. Really didn't change much but made me sick to my stomach. All the pain didn't come until about 6 hours later, when they had the IV in, and got Dilauded and Norco. Enough to help, anyway. Fortunately for me, we have a great medical community here, and this was a Level I trauma hospital I went to, and they had a hand surgeon on standby. Poor thing spent 5 hours the first night working on trying to piece together the jigsaw puzzle I "handed" here. She has neck problems to this day from staying stooped over working on me. Her husband had to come pick her up after the operation. She was in no shape to drive. Quite a doc, IMO.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 7:26 pm 

Tony,
I guess you really did get "caught off guard". Just think of all the guys who got pulled off their feet by the huge pulleys without guards on the traction engines on farms.

Strange but mine didn't bleed much either. Maybe the body restricts blood vessels due to the shock.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 8:11 pm 

blacksmith wrote:
Tony,
I guess you really did get "caught off guard". Just think of all the guys who got pulled off their feet by the huge pulleys without guards on the traction engines on farms.

Strange but mine didn't bleed much either. Maybe the body restricts blood vessels due to the shock.

I think that the type of crush trauma wounds that Ed and Tony experienced from their injuries inhibits bleeding much more than one would experience from a deep clean cut from a sharp instrument.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 8:51 pm 

That makes sense. The body has remarkable built in safeguards. Even after it did bleed some, it never did bleed as much as I thought it would. Plus I had been taking the daily baby aspirin for blood thinning.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 07, 2019 12:29 am 

How goes your recovery?

Do you think that the people in England and other parts of Europe know about the "rubber" parts and knobs you make? I'm working on a Bush SAC21 made in 1936 today, found I need some tuning gang grommets, then wondered if they have a source over there or are buying from you.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 07, 2019 12:41 am 

There's no sense in getting hurt, and making the doctors richer than they already are, but I'm glad that you're healing okay.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 07, 2019 1:09 am 

Accidents happen.

Doctors should be "rich." However, read the best-seller The Millionaire Next Door about how some doctors have a good net worth and some do not...

PostPosted: Jul Sun 07, 2019 1:28 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
How goes your recovery?

Do you think that the people in England and other parts of Europe know about the "rubber" parts and knobs you make? I'm working on a Bush SAC21 made in 1936 today, found I need some tuning gang grommets, then wondered if they have a source over there or are buying from you.

Hi Steven,
I do sell to foreign countries, but I think the parts go to repair American radios. Some may have been used on foreign radios if the parts were similar, I have no way of knowing. Really, I'd rather not expand to other countries. I have to fill out customs forms and many times when the customer gives me as an address, it's not compatible with the form. I have to guess which words describe the city, region, street, etc.. I recently had an order come back to me from Canada. "Customer/Sender full name required." My name was there as well as the Customer's.

My recovery is going well. I should be able to get a regular shoe on next week, and my finger no longer bothers me until I bump it or forget and try to grab, catch, or pull something. I can't get a glove on to mix the plastic, rubber, or silicone, and I have to have gloves on to do that. Tomorrow, I'm having my 13 year old grandson come to help me. I'm out of 3 items that I need to make. He will be my hands for a while as I sit next to him and guide him. It should work out.
Ed

PostPosted: Jul Sun 07, 2019 5:31 pm 

You could try different gloves that aren't tight-fitting.

When I work on wood finishing projects, I wear Ansell Barrier 02-100 gloves. They stand up to solvents like acetone and MEK much better than any other glove I've tried. And they're not tight-fitting, so I bet you could wear them. I've got average size hands and get size 9 gloves. I buy them at Grainger.

-Rodney

PostPosted: Jul Mon 08, 2019 1:13 am 

I need thin medical type gloves that I can rip off quickly and put another on when they get slopped on so I don't get every tool and container sticky and gooped up. The ones I use fit perfectly, except for my swollen finger. I guess that I will be able to use the gloves again in a couple weeks. Anyway, I'll check out the gloves you mentioned. Maybe they will work and be cheaper. I buy them by the case for $70. I just bought a new batch.
Ed

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 40 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2