Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 16, 2019 5:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pickers Pick a True Radio Collector
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 9:24 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:

They could use a radio consultant, the guy they can call when they find a rare tube or chassis.

Now this is funny; how would they know what a rare tube or chassis is, unless the consultant is right there with them? :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 9:29 pm 

fifties wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

They could use a radio consultant, the guy they can call when they find a rare tube or chassis.

Now this is funny; how would they know what a rare tube or chassis is, unless the consultant is right there with them? :wink:

They send photos to their expert with their phones to get their answers.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 9:45 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
...I can't watch a whole show. :x

I could watch the whole show. But I have become so very impatient because of the bloody commercials. My Pillow, Plexiderm, Humira, Teeter Innova, Crestor, Eliquis etc. ad nauseam.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 10:41 pm 

Notice its mostly pharmaceuticals?

What happened to the old days when you saw FOOD commercials? Chiffon, Wesson, 7UP, Wonder, Milk, such as those crazy commercials with Jim Varney as Ernest! 'Hey Verne!"

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 11:22 pm 

arzoo623 wrote:
fifties wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

They send photos to their expert with their phones to get their answers.

My point was, how could they determine if a particular tube or chassis is rare, by themselves?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:59 am 

Tim Mullen wrote:
LarryFS wrote:
I saw the radios; but, the pickers showed no interest. Guess that was because Mike wanted to spend $37k on three VW vans.

... I finally did see a piece of advertising I wouldn't mind having -- that creepy Crosley ad. See? Learned about something new!

I finally got to watch the radio part that I missed the first time. So I'll retract my comment that they showed no interest. The creepy Crosley ad lady was great!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 2:05 am 

fifties wrote:
fifties wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

arzoo623 (quote) They send photos to their expert with their phones to get their answers. (quote)

My point was, how could they determine if a particular tube or chassis is rare, by themselves?

'They' send a scout to the barn first, who sends 10 or 15 shots to the consultant (maybe you or me?) and waits for a positive reaction.

Mike and Frank play with their toys, build rat rods til they get a call, flying to Butthole County, your truck will be waiting, read the script, etc.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:11 pm 

An antique dealer here and I have discussed the topic of old radios, and for that matter, old tube type anything including tube testers and other test gear. It just does not sell in your average antique shop, or mall. The antique shops don't have enough free space to have too many such large objects, when they can fill the same space with 20 items that DO sell regularly, and well.

From their perspective, it's not a decent business investment for the occasional sale they make. I've tried a few there, of various types, and even with prices continuously lowered they did not move. Now, panel meters? Other stuff that can be called "steampunk" ??? THAT stuff sells. And for surprisingly good prices sometimes.

I've sold some stuff, to us that would be true junk, at that shop when I was renting a display case on their floor, for bunches of $$. But even at that, you have to be patient. Most are there for old jewelry, toys, bottle openers .... the small stuff. Not to say that large big ticket items don't also sell, but much more slowly.

I gave her a "quack medical" device I picked up at auction, mounted on a marble slab. Very nice looking, heavy, really Buck Rogers style item ... still sitting there at $35 so go figure. I thought it'd be gone in days.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 1:49 am 

I missed this show last week so I wanted to catch the repeat tonight. When they said Arkansas, I immediately thought "Surely Not". Then the building door opened and there he was, a good friend of mine, Tom Burgess. It's really neat to see someone you've known for many years on TV.

Now, I am extremely glad I watched this episode. So far the pickers have visited 3 of my radio collector friends.

http://www.atwaterkentsrus.com

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 8:33 pm 

I watched the replay of this too. Funny, as a collector, it is interesting to see what is picked and, more importantly to me, what is not. The AKBB's went untouched as was the the rare Crosley advertising sign (only one I've ever seen) and the more common Majestic Eagle on a Globe sold for a lot (I was at an auction when the late Ed Bell bought his for a lot less than the pickers paid)!

Go figure...

Terry

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:01 pm 

radioterry wrote:
I watched the replay of this too. Funny, as a collector, it is interesting to see what is picked and, more importantly to me, what is not. The AKBB's went untouched as was the the rare Crosley advertising sign (only one I've ever seen) and the more common Majestic Eagle on a Globe sold for a lot (I was at an auction when the late Ed Bell bought his for a lot less than the pickers paid)!

Go figure...

Terry

Yes, I was hoping they would grab that AK5 breadboard and ask what Tom would take for it.
Dr. Muchow had a nice Majectic Eagle. I'm not sure who ended up with it.
I remember Tom bringing that rare Crosley sign to either the Houston Convention or Dallas Convention, I can't remember which.
It's the only one I've ever seen.

http://www.atwaterkentsrus.com

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 10:20 pm 

I wonder if the pickers items get a premium price. Especially the one's featured on the show.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 1:07 pm 

I can't see the show, anyone have a picture of the Crosley sign or know the approx year?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 1:17 pm 

See https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=360830 and scroll down a bit to see photos.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 4:16 pm 

You have to remember also that the Pickers want to buy everything on the cheap because they typically want to double their money or more. So How often are they going to pick a collector who will sell a radio for 1/2 what it's worth so they can make their margin.
Henry

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2