Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 14, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows product key finder software recommendations
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:27 pm 

I hate computers. To my way of thinking they are the biggest PITA that has come along
in my lifetime. Having said that here's my dilemma.

Some years back my wife bought an HP laptop from a locale computer store. It was used
and the computer store guy said it was "gone through" and a fresh Windows 7 Home Edition installed. She's used the computer a lot but in the last year it has started having annoying problems. I have tried to supply maintenance including repair to the hardware as best that I could. A couple weeks ago it failed again and after buying parts off ebay without resolving the problem I decided I'd just buy another identical computer and swap the hard drives. I did and a beautiful replacement arrived and I put my wife's original hard drive into it and it booted right up.
Then she started getting the annoying nag saying the product code needed to be put in. So I
turned the first laptop (from which the hard drive came) over and typed in the product code. No joy. It would not take it. After multiple attempts I realized that the sleaze bag who sold my wife the laptop years ago left the original certificate of authentication on the bottom and IT WAS FOR WINDOWS VISTA. Obviously and thankfully that guy is out of business and he probably would have been no help if he were still around. But I need to get the product code and I am sure calling Microsoft would only be a fool's errand.
Has anyone downloaded any of the software for retrieving the product codes from a computer's registry and had good luck with them? If so, which ones?

Post subject: Re: Windows product key finder software recommendations
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:41 pm 

Belarc Advisor

info:
https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/the-b ... key-finder

on-line reviews:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Belarc+ ... GvhRxohnLE

download:
https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:43 pm 

Here's 21 of them:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-product-k ... ms-2625119

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:22 am 

Thanks egg and shenlon. That solved my problem for me. I looked real hard at Belarc. It was the top rated software on several sites but I ended up using Winkeyfinder. What sold me on it was it was said to be very simple and I need simple. It displayed the key as soon as I extracted the zip file. Real slick. Now hopefully I can be done fussing with my wife's annoying Microsoft operating system and return to the life of luxury with my Linux machine. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:12 am 

thankfully my wife doesn't care. For what she does, she gets along just fine in linux...
As long as I stay off of her machine and don't get obsessed "fixing it" for her, or "cluttering it up" on her
she is all good.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:33 am 

If the system wanted the key re-installed it likely will want to go through the "activation" process as well.

The activation status is shown on the "system" page in control panel. It will either show as already activated, or indicate a specific number of days left to activate.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 4:17 am 

Sparksalot wrote:
So I
turned the first laptop (from which the hard drive came) over and typed in the product code. No joy. It would not take it. After multiple attempts I realized that the sleaze bag who sold my wife the laptop years ago left the original certificate of authentication on the bottom and IT WAS FOR WINDOWS VISTA. Obviously and thankfully that guy is out of business and he probably would have been no help if he were still around. But I need to get the product code and I am sure calling Microsoft would only be a fool's errand.

Probably not a sleazebag - back in October 2009, I bought a Gateway Laptop, new, from BestBuy. Shelves were empty there except for it and a $1299 Toshiba Laptop. Just 3 days later, Windows 7 was released, and I was given an opportunity to receive a Free WIN7 upgrade CD from Acer/Gateway. (I'd have downloaded it, but was at Disneyworld in FL, and had no high speed internet to download the upgrade directly. Wyndham wanted $12 a day for 2MB/sec WiFi, which topped out at abouty 300KB/sec....and I was only there for 5 days - yay, parkhopper!! :P )

I still have the laptop and disc and original 7-CD backup of the Windows Vista Install, although the laptop is running Zorin Linux now. :wink:

My last Acer desktop, a clearance purchase at a rural Walmart, came with a link on the desktop to upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10. The upgrade performed flawlessly, and my understanding is that all upgraded PCs had the WIN7 Product Key upgraded to a WIN10 key,

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:18 pm 

Anyone have a product key for MS Streets & Trips 2013 that they would share?