Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Tue 25, 2020 3:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat Bird Bath
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 3:09 pm 

I caught a neighborhood cat hunting @ the bird bath -"Leave my Robins alone"! :o

Pics aren't too good - shot through a window.
Attachment:
rsz_002_cat_bird_bath_1.jpg
rsz_002_cat_bird_bath_1.jpg [ 213.08 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
rsz_003_cat_bird_bath_2.jpg
rsz_003_cat_bird_bath_2.jpg [ 212.3 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Post subject: Re: Cat Bird Bath
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 3:13 pm 

Cats use it to drink out of. As long as you have (easier) fresh water available for the cat, he shouldn't bother the birds. I have a couple of birdbaths and several cats outside without issues. If you don't have something, put a brick or rock in the middle of the bath for the birds to sit on while they drink. That way they don't have to use the edge of the bath. When they want a bath, they'll jump in, but often they just want a drink.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 4:25 pm 

Looks like he might be getting a drink. No bird is gonna come and let the cat grab them. Most cats would have to hide in the bushes and spring out at a bird that wanders too close to the cover but not many cats can catch wary game out in the open.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 5:12 pm 

Quote:
shot through a window

I thought you meant the cat. At least that's what I would do. I Hate them.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 5:29 pm 

Touchy subject with cat lovers and all, but the song bird predation statistics by cats is pretty scary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_predation_on_wildlife

Last edited by processhead on Jun Mon 24, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 5:38 pm 

+ 1 . Cats outside ,,bad bad . Mister Jinks is a top predator just for sport.
Just plain bad. We trap em out, or the window method as mentioned

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 5:57 pm 

wazz wrote:
Looks like he might be getting a drink. No bird is gonna come
and let the cat grab them. Most cats would have to hide in the bushes and spring
out at a bird that wanders too close to the cover but not many cats can catch wary
game out in the open.

Well, in this case I saw him out there earlier "hunting" in the classic cat, low slung
sneakin' up on manner
. Once up on the bath, he was drinking water also, but in
pic #1 he spotted something on the ground.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 6:13 pm 

Put the camera right against the glass to shoot pics through a window. That stops reflections and glare. Won't help so much if it's screened.
-Ed

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 9:30 pm 

Phil Coe wrote:
Quote:
shot through a window

Hope you come back as a mouse.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 9:37 pm 

Dennis H. wrote:
Phil Coe wrote:
Quote:
shot through a window

Hope you come back as a mouse.

YEA :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 1:04 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
"but not many cats can catch wary game out in the open."

That's mostly true I guess. But I had a cat once. She would lay in wait on lawn many times and bird get close she would spring up in the hair and with one paw catch it. She was wildest cat I ever saw. But someone killed her. I was driving to town one day and just outside the subdivision I saw her on side of road. It was not a car. Looked like a 22 in the head. She was always biting at the wife's heels. I missed her but the wife didn't. She didn't like cats anyway, that's why she was an outdoor cat.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 2:26 am 

processhead wrote:
Touchy subject with cat lovers and all, but the song bird predation statistics by cats is pretty scary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_predation_on_wildlife

and absolute bonafide fake. It's been shown that the people who conducted the so-called "study" had an agenda.

Larry

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 4:39 am 

Cats also are wary of snakes, and can kill them. Including venomous types. And snakes need water too. Face it, when you provide water, nearly all wildlife will take advantage of it and it is a kindness on your part so you should continue. If you saw an attack profile, it's possible it was homing in on a snake of some sort, or something else. Maybe nothing. Cats are playful and mimic predatorial behavior when they see a leaf blowing in the wind, just to stay in practice. It's their nature. Many possibilities, not all of them bad for the birds.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 12:51 pm 

Even more fun to shoot the person that shot the cat! How much fun would that be?
Henry

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 2:41 pm 

Tony Wells wrote:
Cats also are wary of snakes, and can kill them. Including
venomous types. And snakes need water too. Face it, when you provide water,
nearly all wildlife will take advantage of it and it is a kindness on your part so you
should continue. If you saw an attack profile, it's possible it was homing in on a
snake of some sort, or something else. Maybe nothing. Cats are playful and mimic
predatorial behavior when they see a leaf blowing in the wind, just to stay in
practice. It's their nature. Many possibilities, not all of them bad for the birds.

Welll now, that's interesting. I have been doing a lot of tree & bush trimming;
major cleanup, raking, shoveling, digging holes for new "Rhodies" and a couple
of trees...and I spotted a garter snake same day I took pics of Cat (I have seen
one of these in the yard only 3 times in 18 years) ...about 18" long and as big
around as your baby finger; brownish/yellow. So That could have been it.
Attachment:
ec1602.pdf [326.3 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 3:23 pm 

A couple of weeks ago we were doing some brush cleanup on an empty lot across from where my mother lives, and stirred up a copperhead nest. We were using a tracked skid loader with a shredder attachment. The adult died in the process, but they tend to nest and give birth in pretty generous numbers. I'd take a guess there were about 50 young, mostly between pencil and pinky sized in the nest. They scattered and escaped the machine. AFAIK there are no cats that hang around the area. It's urban, so not many outside or feral cats to be found.

I live out in the country, and have lots of woods, left wild. I'm very careful when I go walking in the wooded area. Copperheads can be aggressive in the summer and are very well camouflaged in the deadfall and leaves in the wooded area. I've been here about 30 years, and when first got here killed several near the house. I had a young daughter, so felt it justified. I normally don't kill snakes, unless there is a reason. If they are too close to the house, I relocate them. I have 2 semi-feral cats (both trapped and neutered) that are getting tame, but I'm sure they keep snakes away from the house now. I've not seen a snake of any kind near the house in years. I remember several times when one of the outside cats would show up with a big swollen jaw or neck....I suspect a snakebite. It seems they are somewhat resistant to common venoms such as copperhead. Humans not so much. Friend of mine got bit about 2 months ago. Dr's determined it was a dry bite (about 80% are, it is said) so he received no antivenin. But the flesh of his finger at the bite site was severely damaged. It will eventually heal, but still looks pretty rough. About 5 years ago, a cousin's wife stepped on a copperhead at night, warming itself on their sidewalk. This happened in Nacogdoches, deep in the piney woods of ET. She, on the other hand, received about $65k worth of antivenin and stayed in hospital for a couple of weeks. Just a couple of small puncture wounds to the toe. Maybe some people are more sensitive than others. I don't know about that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Either way, I don't want to get bit, but I have been struck before, closed mouth. Maybe just a warning. I took it.

Thing is, they too (snakes) are part of the delicate ecosystem. If too many are killed, by whatever means (people, destroyed habitat, unnatural predators, etc) things get out of balance. That's why, one reason anyway, I rarely kill snakes. Most of them here are harmless anyway. We have only 4 types of "dangerous" snakes here. The one that I respect the most and give a wide berth to is the Water Moccasin. Harsh venom, and very aggressive. I'm not too far from a creek with a swampy bottom, and have seen skeletons of coyotes and other animals I suspect were bite victims. I've taken pictures of them during the winter when they are slow, but I keep my distance. They can grow fairly large here if left alone, and do pose a real danger.

OK, OT enough......sorry about that.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 3:37 pm 

I have seen more tortoises than snakes in this neighborhood. Last year at dusk I saw the neighbors small cat poking at something at the curb. Saw it looked like some kind of worm but turned out to be a juvenile black snake. I got it in a jar and identified it and then let it go in a heavy brush pile out back. I have no idea how or why tortoises would be in my neighborhood and I relocated them to a safer environment when possible.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 3:48 pm 

Growing up we always had a cat and at that time there was more open space and everyone let their cats and dogs out of the house but they were not animals that lived outside if you know what I mean. One cat was always coming home with a mouse and was quite fond of leaving it at the door for my mom.He was always quite proud of his hunting and expected praise from her.Of cours she was not happy with the gifts. Now this is say 60 years ago and she was in the yard hanging some laundry out to dry on the lines and was quite startled and scared by a snake close to her and I guess she screamed or something . Well the cat jumped the snake and killed it. After that mom was more tolerant of his gifts.
Henry