Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 29, 2020 6:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA BP-10 Charlie Chaplin Story
PostPosted: Jul Sun 07, 2019 4:25 pm 

In a recent post about a Hammond organ I posted this picture, suggesting that the OP needs a Hammond clock to go along with the Hammond organ.
Attachment:
DSC03713.JPG
DSC03713.JPG [ 260.57 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

Someone asked "What's the story on the BP-10 in the picture?" So, here is the story, not much to tell.

I got the radio from a seller in CA, all I ever got was that he got it from a "...the estate of a famous collector of movie memorabilia...". I was never able to find out who that was. I have had the radio about 2.5 years.

Searching finds that Mary O'Brian and Chaplin were in some movies together, so they at least knew each other. Also, it is known that RCA used their contracted movie stars to promote these radios when they first came out. It is possible that Chaplin gave this to O'Brian, but who knows for sure.

The radio is the last "-6" version of the BP-10, with the oval speaker; in all original, working condition. This is the second one I have gotten that has that piece of cardboard and the piece of wood inside, not sure of the reasons for those.
Attachment:
File comment: Inside the case.
DSC03725.JPG
DSC03725.JPG [ 343.06 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

Attachment:
DSC03726.JPG
DSC03726.JPG [ 336.4 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

Attachment:
DSC03727.JPG
DSC03727.JPG [ 346.81 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA BP-10 Charlie Chaplin Story
PostPosted: Jul Sun 07, 2019 11:14 pm 

That's great! I can't see why it wouldn't be authentic, especially that you did the research that gives credence to it. I would love to have that. I'm a big fan of all the old time great comedians. Those RCA's were a big deal and seemed to made to be given as gifts, especially with the space for initials in the grill area.