Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 25, 2020 5:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How to get rid of old TVs
PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:06 pm 

So which one of us is this?

https://6abc.com/5462579/?utm_campaign= ... WAQqaGp28w

Post subject: Re: How to get rid of old TVs
PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:21 pm 

Airtight alibi: My retired tuber is still sitchin here, Zecharia. I'd sneak it into the dumpster but I'm too re-tired to lift it shoulder high.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:33 pm 

Odd, because we don't have any environmental laws in VA regarding disposal - we set them out for the trash, and they take them. Henrico County (near Richmond) may have run out of landfill space, or this is just some wacko. The sets may be gutted.....

Here, the sets, whole, are worth a buck or two at the scrap metal places. More if you gut them for the copper and aluminum. Some Sony sets will get you >$5.

I set two sets out last year for the trash on the same day - a Symphonic TV/VCR combo, and an old 60s Emerson tube set with a rusted cabinet. Both were gone in the time it took me to walk back up the driveway for my trash containers.

......and yet a photocopier sits on the main drag to this day. Little copper, but man, the stepper motors!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:41 pm 

I have a line on about 400 old 9" B&W and Color tube monitors formerly used in TV trucks and control rooms .... anyone want a few dozen?? Just the though of hauling them one by one to doorsteps is too tiring to contemplate.

Tough to dispose of stuff like this around here... the recyclers don't want them with the CRTs still in them.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:55 pm 

There is a law here in PA for recycling old electronics including TV's and computers.

https://www.dep.pa.gov/Business/Land/Waste/Recycling/Electronics/Pages/Electronic-Recycling-Facilities.aspx

However, as is the history of these recycle laws, there's no system in place to actually recycle the darn things.

https://solusgrp.com/blog/the-possible-future-of-electronics-recycling-laws-in-pennsylvania.html

For instance, we were recently notified not to include any glass in our recyclables any more so now it's down to just plastic and cardboard. We don't even recycle paper any more.

Someone recently suggested wrapping it up to look like a Fedex or UPS package and setting it out on the front porch in the hope someone would steal it. Would that be considered recycling? :wink:

Larry

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 1:23 pm 

If common sense applied to recycling, there would be no problem with CRTs. The Chicken Littles won out - "there's LEAD in them" - yes, just like that wonderful Waterford lead crystal they still sell everywhere, only much less lead. And leachable lead? Nope. Trapped in the glass. Oh, but the phosphor coating on the inside? W-a-a-y less than what is in 10-10-10 fertilizer dumped in any 1,000 square foot application. But the black stuff on the outside - surely it's poison - nope, just graphite in an aqueous based glue binder (Aquadag) - do we fret over pencils or motor brushes, or Elmer's glue?

The plastics are the real problem. Even with the recyclable logo detailing the Polystyrene or other plastic, nobody here takes TV cabinets for recycling. :cry:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 2:03 pm 

I just scrap out any BPC tv's I find, you can't give them away at the flea markets today. For the copper in the yokes, degauss coils and other wire. I hang onto the HV leads, I can use those to replace crusty ones in my tube sets. Then it gets it's crt vacuum released, buttoned back up and set curb side on trash day.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 2:31 pm 

This is not the first time something like this happened here. Not too long ago, the very same thing happened in another Richmond area neighborhood!

Go figure...

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 2:33 pm 

I don't believe in the Mothman or the Lizard man, but now we got actual proof that TV man is real.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 2:41 pm 

I take the TV to the dump where they take it for nothing if there's no CRT connected to it. If the CRT is connected they charge $25 to take it.
So, what do I do? I let the air in through the little tit at the end of the neck of the tube, the air rushes in. Then I take a maul and smash it to small pieces of glass. The metal parts? Those parts go with other scrap metal. I pay nothing, It takes a while to 'earn' that $25, but I don't have a lot of old TV's around. As a matter of fact, I don't have any left except for one that still works perfectly and I use it from time to time.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:45 pm 

My last CRT set was a Zenith I bought in the 90s. Big black cased 27 inch, I think. Never had the least bit of trouble. Just as fast or faster to come on line as my flat screen. Remote changed channels instantly, no lag or delay like in my flat screen. I gave it to my brother when I went flat and he used it with a cable converter for a long time. He may still have it shoved in a corner somewhere. Plenty of room, his kids moved out and so did the wife. So he has the house hot tub and the pool all to himself. I thought, hey there is lots of room on his lot, maybe I should get a mobile home...

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 4:11 pm 

rocketeer wrote:
For instance, we were recently notified not to include any glass in our recyclables any more so now it's down to just plastic and cardboard. We don't even recycle paper any more.

I've heard about this on and off; at my location we still put glass and paper into the recycling bins.

We got high speed broadband down our road in 2014. At that time I purchased an HDTV and we got rid of our old 32 inch Toshiba CRT Television (heavy and buky monster.....). My son and I loaded it into the Jeep and I took it to Best Buys for recycling. I'm glad they were able to take it.

What is adding to the issue of electronics disposal is that most electronic devices are not designed to last for very long. That, combined with the cheapness of said devices and ensuing proliferation, means an accelerating rate of e-junk that needs disposed of / recycled.

When people don't have a way to get rid of the stuff, you see their e-trash in the woods, along the road etc. People that do that should be flogged, but that's just what I think.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 5:13 pm 

k3msb wrote:

When people don't have a way to get rid of the stuff, you see their e-trash in the woods, along the road etc. People that do that should be flogged, but that's just what I think.

Yes, they should be punished.

Seen this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 38106.html

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 12:17 am 

Are you guys kidding? The CRT TV's are priceless. In fact, I just got through restoring a black & white portable set earlier this year, and I still have a 29 year old Magnavox 27" color TV wood console in the living room.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 12:47 am 

Blustar1 wrote:
Are you guys kidding? The CRT TV's are priceless. In fact, I just got through restoring a black & white portable set earlier this year, and I still have a 29 year old Magnavox 27" color TV wood console in the living room.

You pay the shipping, I know a guy with a few he's giving away.......

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 3:19 am 

Quote:
Yes, they should be punished.

Yes. They will pay....Severely!

Anyway where I grew up the easiest way of dealing with old worn-out televisions was to simply find a big enough gulch or gully next to the freeway and just let em go. In fact I remember a huge collection of tires that was in such a gully and they caught fire one Summer and burned for months. Ahh..those were the good old days

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 5:39 am 

Best part of that story I read from a different link was that a few of the recipients had decided to keep their "gifted" TV.

Last CRT I dumpstered, I was there when he loaded them into the back, I asked him "I wonder how it'll pop?" He summarily grabbed the lever and let it go right square on the back of the set. POOF! Pretty anticlimactic actually. :mrgreen:

Older days, gather the boys for TV target practice! We did clean up the carcasses afterwards and marvel at the carnage. 8)
-Ed