Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 29, 2020 1:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hand drill motor grease
PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 6:46 am 

Can I use Silicone grease to lubricate the gears on my hand drill motors? If not what kind of grease should I use?

Scotty.

Post subject: Re: Hand drill motor grease
PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 4:05 pm 

Nix the silicone. Some will always escape the gear box and contaminate surfaces. Could cause future problems around cabinet re-finishing.

There is a red lube sold at most auto stores that will stick to the gear surfaces and not decompose into wax and runny oil. A high pressure lube for chassis should be fine. You probably have some in the lubricant cabinet in the garage... A moly lube is O.K. moly is somewhat toxic should any ooze out could contaminant the hands, unknowingly.

IMHO the rest of the drill will wear out before the gears regardless which lube is chosen...

Use a known quality motor oil for the motor bearings if they are bronze sleeves, if they are ball bearings same grease as on the gears.

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 5:50 pm 

Chas wrote:

....Use a known quality motor oil for the motor bearings if they are bronze sleeves......

Just my $.02,but I would use sewing machine oil on the bronze bearings and not motor oil.Motor oil has detergent in it that's not great for those types of bushings/bearings..

PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 6:42 pm 

3-in-one makes oil for electric motors in a small squeeze can.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 7:23 pm 

Consistency of grease is roughly equivalent to viscosity in oil. The consistency of grease is important because grease must reach the parts to be lubricated at all times. Too heavy of grease will "channel" - stay in a fixed ridge or hollow and will not provide proper lubricating action; in turn, results in failure of the parts.

NLGI*Consistency
0 very soft
1 soft
2 medium
3 medium hard
4 hard
5 very hard
6 block type

Milwaukee recommends a type "E" for electric drills which would be a consistency of 1. Your chassis lube or multi purpose grease will be a number 2 or 3 which is way too thick. There are many different types of grease with different consistency and pressure ratings. Always use what the manufacturer recommends. I am surprised nobody has suggested using WD-40
.https://www.ereplacementparts.com/type- ... gKw2fD_BwE
http://documents.milwaukeetool.com/TIY3 ... Grease.pdf

PostPosted: Nov Sun 03, 2019 7:45 pm 

On a heavy-duty D-style 8A-rated PorterCable (one of the last made in the Jackson TN plant, before going overseas) drill I purchased new in 1991, our local P-C repair depot (Syracuse NY, Ramsing Electric....now gone, I think), recommended that I replace its gearbox grease about every 10 to 15 years, because eventually, gearbox grease can stop flowing enough to keep the gears lubricated. I purchased from PC a bulk tin of their "special"HD drill gearbox grease; I repacked it once and still have most of the bulk can remaining, probably enough for a dozen or more repackings....ha. And not being a grease expert, I don't know if their grease was anything special.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 12:44 pm 

The OP specifically asked about the lube to use for the speed reducing gears, and not the motor bearings in his drill.

The gears in a drill will always be lubed with a grease, not an oil. The manufacturer will have a recommended grease, but there will be other compatible greases out there that will do the job.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 8:39 pm 

[quote="processhead"]The OP specifically asked about the lube to use for the speed reducing gears, and not the motor bearings in his drill.....

quote]

Myself,I was aware of that and was responding to Chas's post.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 3:03 am 

Thanks to everyone for your replies. You have given me much food for thought.

Thanks again. Scotty.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 07, 2019 12:46 am 

Chas wrote:
Nix the silicone. Some will always escape the gear box and contaminate surfaces. Could cause future problems around cabinet re-finishing... Chas
I second that! I used to work for a company building hi-tech sensor products using epoxy glue as part of the manufacturing process. We banned all silicone-based products in the assembly area for this reason.
Cheers,
Roger