Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 24, 2020 7:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

New windows Edge do like it or Not
Poll ended at Jul Mon 27, 2020 4:27 am
1- Love the New Edge  13%  [ 4 ]
2- Hate the new edge  13%  [ 4 ]
3- like some features  6%  [ 2 ]
4- use other Browser  69%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: the Latest Microsoft Edge browser version what do think
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2020 4:27 am 

Hello Everyone,
well I had simple question ,Has anyone used the Latest The new Microsoft Edge Browser is based on Chromium ?

would like your input before I download the update

Sincerely Rich

Post subject: Re: the Latest Microsoft Edge browser version what do think
PostPosted: Jul Sat 25, 2020 11:54 am 

I like most of the features. Don't like the Chrome-like downloads bar that always needs to be cleared if I download something.

It's easy to set the security level.

PS, if you have a lot of favorites, they don't scroll down like the old Edge, or other browsers I've used (the little scroller on the right side of the list is missing -- you can still scroll down with your mousewheel, but if you have a lot of favorites, that can take more time).

However, if you hit "manage Favorites" you can scroll down (using he scroll button on the side of the list) to get to the favorite you want.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 2:30 am 

I'm happy with Firefox. No need to waste my time with another useless Microsoft product.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 5:42 am 

Ken Layton wrote:
I'm happy with Firefox. No need to waste my time with another useless Microsoft product.

Exactly the same here. The same goes for Google's spyware browser.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 6:41 am 

+2 on Firefox.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 6:48 am 

beat_truck wrote:
Ken Layton wrote:

Exactly the same here. The same goes for Google's spyware browser.

+3

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 7:38 am 

+4

I can’t say what I think about Microsoft or Google, since this is a family friendly board.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 6:50 pm 

Hello Guys,
thanks for your input

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 8:07 pm 

The best part about Firefox is the adblock plus add on. Disables 99% of annoying ads. You can also customize it by disabling auto play on those nasty pop up videos. :x

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 8:57 pm 

Firefox for the win.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2020 9:03 pm 

tbone8 wrote:
The best part about Firefox is the adblock plus add on. Disables 99% of annoying ads. You can also customize it by disabling auto play on those nasty pop up videos. :x

I use uBlock Origin instead. It is open source, supposedly uses less system resources, blocks the same ads, and doesn't have "acceptable ads" crap, where ads become acceptable when the creators get a payoff from the ad makers. :roll:

I also install Ghostery. It blocks internet trackers.

Firefox has a TON of other useful addons, too.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 3:09 am 
Site Admin

I've tried it on a Mac and, well, it's a browser. Safari, Chrome, Firefox ... they're all just browsers. For the stuff I do everyday, any of them are just fine. Web pages all work the same. When I first launched the program there were screens about privacy settings to go through. The only thing that reminded me I was using a different browser was when I quit, instead of just hitting the CMD+Q keys as with other Mac programs, I had to press and hold them down to quit.

From what I have read, if you watch Netflix with a browser, you can get a higher resolution picture if you use Safari or Edge because of the DMR method they utilize.

Read about the features it offers and if you see something that interests you, try it out. If you don't, then just stick with whatever browser you are currently using.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 6:39 am 

beat_truck wrote:
tbone8 wrote:

I use uBlock Origin instead. It is open source, supposedly uses less system resources, blocks the same ads, and doesn't have "acceptable ads" crap, where ads become acceptable when the creators get a payoff from the ad makers. :roll:

I also install Ghostery. It blocks internet trackers.

Firefox has a TON of other useful addons, too.

I don't know about adblocking, but with the old Edge as well as the new one, it is easy to block internet trackers. You just go to Settings > Privacy and Services and click a button. No extra software needed.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 10:35 am 

I've been using FF almost exclusively for many years, but there are enough problems that have forced me to use others at times.

Sure, the "fight the system" extensions are great and all, but many web pages won't work until the extensions are disabled. The specific extensions that must be disabled vary, of course. The one that lately seems to kill more sites than others is Ublock Origin. I can't even login to my bank until I disable it, because their system "has detected suspicious activity" (i.e., a bot)!

NoScript kills countless sites, for obvious reasons, and it does so with some sites even when they're whitelisted and NS is "turned off" and set to global allow. Disable it (remove from the addon list) or that site won't work.

An ever-increasing number of webmasters are discovering the simple (one or two lines of code) trick to completely thwart Adblock, too.

Ok, so being the determined, stick-it-to-the-man user, you fight back by simply refusing to visit any site that doesn't let you block this and that or hide yourself. Congrats. Sooner or later, if you do much of anything online, you're going to run into a site you really want/need into and you'll be disabling your extensions or using a different browser (and likely not using these types of extensions or settings on that one, either).

Btw, using a different browser has proven an absolute necessity at times. Some sites simply will not work with FF 7+, even with NO extensions enabled and even booted in safe mode. It's like they've set the site up to throw a blank front page and die the moment it detects FF, probably assuming the user will have blocking extensions running, and rather than trying to get around them, they just block the user instead of the user blocking THEM.

The cat and mouse game (more like catfight) continues...

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Every site you visit knows what your IP address is, what kind of computer you have, what OS version it is running, what browser you are using, what size your monitor is and what resolution it is set at, Even without resorting to cookiers, there is an amazing amount of "stuff" sent each time you request a page. Even if a site isn't specifically tracking you, the combination of data sent can make you a uniquely identified user.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 3:45 pm 

Vin Tageman wrote:
NoScript kills countless sites, for obvious reasons, and it does so with some sites even when they're whitelisted and NS is "turned off" and set to global allow. Disable it (remove from the addon list) or that site won't work.

Indeed. And things evolve. Security guru Steve Gibson for years touted NoScript and now he's changed his mind and won't use it because it breaks so much. Another case of a public authority recommending one thing only to change his mind as things evolve. Nothing wrong with that.

Gibson still recommends UBlock Origin and further recommends surfing in Sandboxie, which allows you to surf safely without worrying about malicious scripts. When I use it I keep a non-sandboxed browser open in which to save bookmarks and the like.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 5:01 pm 

I have been a Firefox user for many years and have an ad blocker. The new Edge has a built in ad blocker that works well even on YouTube. I still like Firefox and plan to continue using it but who knows... :) Edge is faster but with a fast enough PC it really does not matter. Edge imports bookmarks and keeps adding to the bookmarks already there so many duplicates. It really is a mess.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 5:23 pm 

Hello Vin Tageman,
Yes, I am getting so tired with these companies like my bank All they want is our information.
Like with you the bank will see that well Vin like buying Nike Shoes and Carharts from Big Five and buys dary gold milk and Starbucks coffee.
then you start getting blasted with ads from each of these companies.

One the reasons I like using one the VPN apps

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 5:35 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Even if a site isn't specifically tracking you, the combination of data sent can make you a uniquely identified user.

Yep. Browser fingerprinting is being used by more sites everyday.

Btw, I was wrong about my bank. I just checked again and it's the FF Canvas Fingerprint Defender addon that my bank doesn't like, instead of the Ublock Origin addon. I have so many of these blasted extensions installed I sometimes forget which site's countermeasures have a problem with which browser countermeasures. :roll:

Unfortunately, just using extensions like these contributes to fingerprinting stability, making the user that much less anonymous.

Let's not forget the single pixel tracker. It's amazing the lengths these people will go to in order to data mine users. To a huge number of website operators, the user is considered the product. Even some you'd expect to be honorable and above board want to make money by selling you.

VPNs are generally effective for hiding one's IP, but the problem is some sites detect when a VPN is in use and you won't be using that site. I've hit the VPN wall a number of times. This is more effective against known/popular VPNs that the site owner can check against a blacklist, but there are other methods they use as well. That said, VPNs work well enough in general to still be of some use to the end user.

Given that UUID/GUID can be included in the fingerprinting hash value, and that some sites detect fake fingerprints and refuse to function because of it, meaning you can't even use the site (as with my bank), pretty much the only guaranteed way to never be "caught" after using these sites is to use a completely different machine for each browsing session, and the previous one pulverized or maybe donated anonymously after a thorough physical cleaning. Obviously, such drastic measures aren't needed for everyday browsing, but everyone should keep in mind they're being watched/tracked/sold wherever and whenever the opportunity exists.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 27, 2020 7:38 pm 

Hello Vin,
for sure like with my New Dell with windows 10 pro I have 16 gigs of ram and it will still creep along at snails pace right now if I have the site and decide to open facebook up it will cause my machine to freeze and know the issue it's because Mark Zuckerberg is loading my machine with so much tracking info

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next