Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Packing & Shipping company recommendations
PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 1:24 am 

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Scott Philharmonic, no cabinet, just the tuner, amp, speaker and face plate. I've contacted Craters & Freighters and their quote seems steep. I don't have any experience with them but the little I've heard is positive. Will need to have the parts packed and then shipped from the Detroit area to Milwaukee. Any other packing/shipping services that you recommend? Thanks, Karl

Post subject: Re: Packing & Shipping company recommendations
PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 2:50 am 

At that distance, I'd enlist the aid of a second driver and go pick them up myself in one day. You won't find any shipper that will pack and ship for less than the cost of a couple tanks of gas that would be used doing it yourself, plus you have the advantage of doing any packing that might be needed to protect the items during the drive.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 9:46 am 

+1 on the drive. I always do even if it means an overnight. Just cant risk sellers packing. But I have never had anything via professional packers so it may be alright.

Are you allowed to drive long distance and to where you want to go? we have restrictions here 'cos of Covid.

Be a long day. Done 400 miles and its nearly twice that but your roads are probably better. Traffic often is the killer rather than miles.

GL with it Gary

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 1:04 pm 

Charlie Hubba wrote:
Hi, I'm looking to buy a Scott Philharmonic, no cabinet, just the tuner, amp, speaker and face plate. I've contacted Craters & Freighters and their quote seems steep. I don't have any experience with them but the little I've heard is positive. Will need to have the parts packed and then shipped from the Detroit area to Milwaukee. Any other packing/shipping services that you recommend? Thanks, Karl

What amount of $$ do you consider steep, or for that matter reasonable? Shipping rates have gone up all across the board within the last few years.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 2:44 pm 

Thanks everyone, actually the road trip was my initial thought and it's looking like that's the way to go. I am concerned that the packing, or lack thereof would ruin the radio.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 2:55 pm 

Professional packers do a decent job, and you can give them instructions how you want items packed, but the cost of that service plus the cost of shipping is going to be in the several hundred $$$ range due to the size and weight of the packages. That pretty much rules it out unless the distance was clear across the country and you had no option to do in person pickup.

The only way I would consider having those items shipped would be if someone constructed a box or crate large enough, with divided compartments for each item and everything got packed safely and separately into that one box, then the box was shipped via Greyhound bus.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 29, 2020 4:01 pm 

I've used U-ship several times with good results. The person at the other end doesn't have to do anything other than hand the item off to the driver. It's like Uber for shipping. It's great for items that are too heavy or fragile to ship.

If you're not in a hurry, you can wait for someone who is going your direction and willing to transport it for not too much. I generally do fixed price listings with what I'm willing to spend and see if anyone responds.