Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 08, 2021 12:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Beware of SCAMMER
PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 4:24 pm 

I placed an add here on ARForum Classified on Jan. 8 wanting to buy a Stewart Warner Varsity Radio. I received a reply from a "gill9" on Jan 12 . Now take note this gill 9 is a user name here on ARF. In his email he conveyed to me an email address of an individual that had one that was for sale. I sent this person an email and low and behold they had what i had been searching for. They sent pictures and ended up going through 30 + emails. This person is from Granada ,Ms. Yesterday we found a facebook page on this person. No way is she a radio enthusiast. In her emails i could tell this too but she had said her brother had given her the radio so i didnt expect her to know much. My last email from her was Jan20 stating she had received the money and was shipping on the 21st. By the way i emailed this gill9 over the last week or so twice to ask him a question on his knowledge of this radio. I have received no replies from him. I suspicion gill 9 and this seller are the same person although different email addresses. Just not sure. Maybe in business with each other. Today is the 24th and maybe i am jumping the gun a little on this add but my gut tells me i have been Scammed. So beware of a gill9 replying to Wanted to Buy adds, its sad we have these people out there but we do. I plan on contacting police in Granada but dont expect much there either. They have bigger fish to fry.

Post subject: Re: Beware of SCAMMER
PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 4:56 pm 

Good to know. I have seen this type of scam on other fora too. I assume gill9 is a new account with few, if any, posts?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 5:12 pm 

Just curious, is this gill9 an active member here. Any posts by this member?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 5:22 pm 

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=132052

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 5:24 pm 

pixellany wrote:
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=132052
Yup, new account with zero posts.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 5:24 pm 

Yea that profile is a big big red flag.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 5:35 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
This style of scam was already posted here on ARF a week or two??? ago. There is someone creating new member names and then answering WTB ads by sending the buyer off to an outside site.

If you plan to do this .... send your money by PayPal and do NOT .... NOT use friends and family. I garantee the deal will fall apart as soon as the "seller" realises that they have been sussed.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=389726&hilit=scam

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 5:44 pm 

gill 9 's original email came to me from clicking email at bottom of post, no reply was ever revealed on ARF. Hopefully i was his or hers one and only victim. hard to believe this gal in MS would register with ARF and search the classified for radio stuff to do her scam thing with. I suppose she could register in a different name and do it again???

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 5:57 pm 

how do you preview a members profile if he has no post ?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 6:13 pm 

gtoheaven wrote:
how do you preview a members profile if he has no post ?

You click on the member name in the message they send to you.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 6:31 pm 

let me re ask that question,, How do you find out if they are a registered member? I had no name to click on in my case

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 6:37 pm 

gtoheaven wrote:
let me re ask that question,, How do you find out if they are a registered member? I had no name to click on in my case

If you got an ARF message then the member HAS to be registered at ARF and you click on the sender's name in the message you got.

Send me a message by clicking on PM below and I'll post an example for you.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 6:39 pm 

gtoheaven wrote:
I placed an add here on ARForum Classified on Jan. 8 wanting to buy a Stewart Warner Varsity Radio.

That's the same day gill9 joined ARF. What are the odds?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 6:44 pm 

gtoheaven wrote:

I read back .... you didn't get an ARF message ... you got an email. That requires registration also and the email includes the member's username. You can copy that then enter it in the search box in the ARF search page.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 6:55 pm 

I couldn't agree more with John on the PayPal. Make the unknown seller send you a PayPal invoice. The additional charge is 3% plus .35 cents. It is the cheapest anti-scam insurance that you can buy.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 6:57 pm 

There are several WTB ads in the forum, so if indeed the person is a scammer, I suspect that the person tried to approach other members.
I am new to this forum and have answered a couple of WTB ads myself.
I have joined the forum because I am trying to sell my father in law's collection.
I just want to assure the people that I messaged that I am not a scammer. My profile included a link to my FB page with the radios that I am trying to sell.
I hope that it was just a miscommunication and that you will receive the radio you purchased.

https://cookeville.com/tn/MYANTIQUERADIOSFORSALE

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 7:04 pm 

Never do business with someone who has low or no posts. If it sounds bad or raises any questions for you, start asking your own. Buyer beware.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 7:25 pm 

These people/ person have been hitting WTB ads on all types of forums, not just here.
and the emails are all worded exactly the same.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 7:31 pm 

This person i mailed to inquire about the radio actually lives in Grenada,Ms. I have her mailing address. Seems rather stupid to send me the mailing address where she actually lives but i think she did because we found a facebook page of hers at same address and same name. Wish i lived closer to Ms.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 24, 2021 10:33 pm 

gtoheaven wrote:
My last email from her was Jan20 stating she had received the money and was shipping on the 21st.

I plan on contacting police in Granada but dont expect much there either. They have bigger fish to fry.

I would suggest contacting the seller and asking for the tracking number tomorrow. Then maybe give her or him, you really don't know the actual gender, a few days to get to the post office if it's really on the level.

How did you pay?
If you mailed them payment, and don't get a tracking number by the end of the week, then locate their local police department, and send them a message outlining the situation. Ask if they would pay the seller a visit and describe the penalty for mail fraud, which is a federal offense.

I had to do this with two eBay sellers many years ago, when mailing cashiers checks was the normal payment method. Amazing how fast the sellers each sent the radios after their visit by the boys in blue. In my negative F/B hit on each, I posted the address of their local constabularies.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 62 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next