Everything USPS/UPS/FedEx/Other Shipping Topic

An informal area for conversations, humor and observations that aren't necessarily strictly radio related. No discussion of politics or religion. Ads are not permitted.

Moderator: Alan Voorhees

Freeman
Dec Tue 23, 2014 5:51 pm
N. Palm Beach, Florida 33410

Re: Everything USPS/UPS/FedEx/Other Shipping Topic

Post by Freeman »

That's to bad. I should have picked it up and met you in Ft.Pierce. Hours drive for both.

Freeman
What's built by man can be fixed by man.
Zenith Royal
Oct Mon 02, 2017 7:53 am
Destin, FL 32541

Post by Zenith Royal »

When I lived in Panama City, FL I had a package that kept getting sent from one FL post office back to Pensacola (their main "hub"). After watching this on their tracking, I finally had enough and went to our main PO in the city. I showed them my phone with their tracking info. The next day my package was waiting in my mailbox! :wink:
Retired Radio Man
Jun Sat 09, 2007 7:14 am
Melbourne, Florida

Post by Retired Radio Man »

The other trick they like is to bounce packages back and forth between two facilities in Orlando. Each time I see that something has made it to Orlando, I anxiously wait to see where it goes next. This last time it went back to its origin.

I've seen the excuse on here about how the post office does such a great job handling billions of pieces of mail each year with very few problems.

I see this loop-de-loop nonsense about every fourth time I have a package delivered by the USPS. I call that a 25% error rate. Great job?

I've never had routing nonsense from UPS, but I have once with FedX.

RRM
radiotvnut
Dec Sun 07, 2008 6:05 am
Meridian, MS 39307

Post by radiotvnut »

The incompetence of people just keeps getting worse and worse. I had a USPS package (actually, two of them) that were "out for deliver" today. I had to leave at about 9:45 AM to go to a funeral, and when I got home to check the tracking, this is what I was greeted with. There are several problems here. 1. I was home at 9 AM and I can promise you that nobody attempted to deliver anything to this address. 2. Even had I not been here, both packages were small enough to fit in the mailbox. 3. They claim the packages are held at the PO, as per the request of the customer. I can assure you that didn't happen.

This is just another case of careless postal workers who are not doing their freakin' job.
Attachments
USPS BS 001.JPG
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArtFromNY
Feb Tue 11, 2020 10:43 pm
Mechanicville NY 12118 USA

Post by ArtFromNY »

radiotvnut wrote:The incompetence of people just keeps getting worse and worse. I had a USPS package (actually, two of them) that were "out for deliver" today. I had to leave at about 9:45 AM to go to a funeral, and when I got home to check the tracking, this is what I was greeted with. There are several problems here. 1. I was home at 9 AM and I can promise you that nobody attempted to deliver anything to this address. 2. Even had I not been here, both packages were small enough to fit in the mailbox. 3. They claim the packages are held at the PO, as per the request of the customer. I can assure you that didn't happen.

This is just another case of careless postal workers who are not doing their freakin' job.

Maybe careless, maybe lazy, maybe liars, maybe all 3. We have all heard about employers scraping the bottom of the barrels for staff - USPS seems to be hiring from UNDER the barrel. It must drive the long term good employees there nuts to have to work with new hires.

Art
Paul Dietenberger
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Oak Creek, WI USA

Post by Paul Dietenberger »

radiotvnut wrote:The incompetence of people just keeps getting worse and worse. I had a USPS package (actually, two of them) that were "out for deliver" today. I had to leave at about 9:45 AM to go to a funeral, and when I got home to check the tracking, this is what I was greeted with. There are several problems here. 1. I was home at 9 AM and I can promise you that nobody attempted to deliver anything to this address. 2. Even had I not been here, both packages were small enough to fit in the mailbox. 3. They claim the packages are held at the PO, as per the request of the customer. I can assure you that didn't happen.

Had one of those once. It was a Saturday too. I was expecting a package one day about a year ago or so that was out for delivery, then I was sitting outside, saw the truck coming down the street, drive right past my house and down the street, and later that night the package was marked "unable to deliver" on the website.

I filed a complaint on the USPS website. I mean I can accept a lot but this was just too blatant to let go. I got a phone call a couple days later, where I was informed that a temp was driving the route and the caller apologized for the issue. FWIW it hasn't been repeated. I assume somebody got a talking to.
Don Cavey
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

Post by Don Cavey »

My regular Letter Carrier has worked for the USPS for a long, long time. She and I talk frequently. Recently, she had surgery on her foot. The temporary employee did leave some mail for a similar address and it happens occasionally. But never with my Carrier. When I sell and item, I use "Click-N-Ship" and print my own postage. My Carrier picks it up from the front porch, scans it and puts it into the truck. Never a problem. She gives me grief if I take it to the Post Office, saying, "That's my job!"

But in our conversation, she said that they have had a tremendous problem getting reliable new employees. Ever since the disease that ravaged our country a few years ago, there are so many who just do not want to work. They try, but often have to let the new employee go because they just don't cut the mustard.

I am sorry for the problems that you guys are having and I am not here go gloat about my Carrier. I just want it know that it is not always the case. Yes, I have had a few issues like the thread above and a phone call to the Post Office usually brings quick rectification (pun intended) to the situation. For instance, I had an Item that was shipped and got stuck in Huntsville, AL. It was there for weeks. I called that office and they NEVER answered the phone. The phone would ring until it timed out. A call to my office got things moving the next day. I guess there are non-published phone numbers as well.

Hoping for the best!
Don
ArtFromNY

Post by ArtFromNY »

Don Cavey wrote:

Yes, I have had a few issues like the thread above and a phone call to the Post Office usually brings quick rectification (pun intended) to the situation. For instance, I had an Item that was shipped and got stuck in Huntsville, AL. It was there for weeks. I called that office and they NEVER answered the phone. The phone would ring until it timed out. A call to my office got things moving the next day. I guess there are non-published phone numbers as well.
How fortunate for you that Post Offices in your area answer the phone. Ours gave up on that in early 2021. I have tried numerous times over the years. I have also been told, by carriers and counter staff alike, that they have neither the time nor the inclination to answer the phone, and that management, such as it is, gave up trying to insist on that.

For myself, I would love to see Amazon take over the PO, but it will never happen considering that it would have to involve immediate dismissal of at least 3/4 of the existing employees, and restaffing perhaps 1/2 of those slots, to make the place work properly. Given the current mental attitude climate around the lack of incentives to work, not gonna happen.

Art
Don Cavey

Post by Don Cavey »

ArtFromNY wrote:...

How fortunate for you that Post Offices in your area answer the phone. Ours gave up on that in early 2021. ...

Art
Art, I don't doubt what you are saying. Every PO that I have been associated with has had different attitudes toward customers. When I lived in MD, I used a rural PO often because it was never busy. And here in Fernandina Beach, FL, it's not too busy. But another PO that is just as close is Yulee. It's small and usually not busy. But since I have been using Click-N-Ship, I never have to go into the PO.
Don
Don Cavey

Post by Don Cavey »

Don Cavey wrote:...But since I have been using Click-N-Ship, I never have to go into the PO.
Here is the exception...

I ordered stamps about two years ago online. They were marked as delivered. I never got them. I filed a missing shipment with the PO and it was like I had to swear on a stack of bibles that I never got the stamps, before they would send another batch. They finally did, but were NOT happy.

Later, I talked to my Letter Carrier. She immediately knew what happened. A sub had misdelivered them to the similar address. Those people kept the stamps. My Letter Carrier just shook her head and threw up her hands.

When she retires, I don't know what we will do!!!
Don
fifties
Canyon Country, CA

Post by fifties »

Don Cavey wrote:

Easy, you'll just get another responsible, regular carrier (hopefully) assigned to your route. I've found over the years that a regular carrier will normally take pride in their work, to ensure that nothing is mis-delivered, and packages are handled with a degree of care.

MY gratitude toward them is expressed at Christmas, when I leave them a card and a nice check in the mailbox.

I've seen posts here from Mid West and East Coast members who describe how mail gets bounced around between cities. Fortunately for our area, that normally doesn't happen. I can usually expect a first class letter sent from the east coast to get here in three days.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST RADIOS WINS //////////////////
Don Cavey

Post by Don Cavey »

fifties wrote:
Don Cavey wrote:

Easy, you'll just get another responsible, regular carrier (hopefully) assigned to your route. I've found over the years that a regular carrier will normally take pride in their work, to ensure that nothing is mis-delivered, and packages are handled with a degree of care.

MY gratitude toward them is expressed at Christmas, when I leave them a card and a nice check in the mailbox.

I've seen posts here from Mid West and East Coast members who describe how mail gets bounced around between cities. Fortunately for our area, that normally doesn't happen. I can usually expect a first class letter sent from the east coast to get here in three days.
Richard, you and I are cut from the same cloth. My Letter Carrier gets a nice card with a gratuity in it as well. She always goes above and beyond.
Don
Freeman
Dec Tue 23, 2014 5:51 pm
N. Palm Beach, Florida 33410

Post by Freeman »

My carrier was great also. Very few wrong name/similar address. Not so now. She would hit the door bell 3 times when a box didn't fit in the mailbox. She always told me when she was going on vacation and what they were going to do. You kinda bond with people like that. Her and her husband did early retirement last year. It's great when people like that come into your life for a visit.

Freeman
What's built by man can be fixed by man.
AuroraOldRadios
Jul Sun 09, 2006 2:11 am
Clearwater, KS 67026

Post by AuroraOldRadios »

UPS drivers get a nice raise. I didn't realize they already make $145k counting benefits. I didn't make anywhere near that working for LE.
https://www.denver7.com/average-ups-dri ... w-contract" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
radiotvnut
Meridian, MS 39307

Post by radiotvnut »

Once again, FedEx screws up. Last Wednesday, a package was sent to me from NC to MS, and was supposed to have arrived the next day. Well, that didn't happen and the date was changed to Saturday. Saturday, it was still sitting in NC and then the date got changed to Monday. Well guess what? It's Monday and the package is sitting in Nashville, TN. There's no sense in this crap and if I was able to drive, I could have gone to NC and a half-dozen times in the time it's taking FedEx to do anything. I know someone who USED to be fairly high up locally with FedEx ground and I was told that boneheaded upper management decisions resulted in all the good workers either quitting or being let go, and the ones they got now couldn't give a crap if the sun comes up or not. He said that he finally quit and moved on to something better, because he got tired of the toxic work environment.
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArtFromNY

Post by ArtFromNY »

fifties wrote:
Don Cavey wrote:

Not in our lifetimes. The current generation, and a lot of the previous one, are just too darn special, unique and perfect to care about doing a job well. It means more to too many of them to have 1700 friends on face book to care about being admired and respected by real people in the real world for doing a job well.

When you can get what passes in your mind as praise, validation and acceptance from numerous, mainly unknown, virtual connections otherwise thought of as "friends" or "admirers" or "followers" why bother to put in the effort to do well in reality?

Our regular carrier for probably 15 years was a pleasure to deal with; friendly, attentive, more than competent, made a mistake maybe every 3 years and immediately owned up to and corrected it, punctual, just a superb carrier.

Unfortunately, back in '19, he thought it would be a good idea to put hidden cameras in the bedroom of the teenage daughter of a family for whom he was doing some remodeling work. No more perfect carrier, and we have not had a "regular" since.

Just an endless stream of fill-ins, some good, some bad. The good ones didn't last; I talked to a few and they said they could not deal with the mismanagement and carefree attitude of their coworkers.

I hope I am gone by the time the Post Office completely collapses; it will be a harbinger of complete Federal failure. Yeah yeah, I know - USPS is allegedly not a government operation :)
Art
Don Cavey

Post by Don Cavey »

I have a clock that uses an oddball type "N" battery. It's 1.5 volt but fatter than an AAA, skinnier than an AA and shorter than both. Only Ace Hardware around her carries it and it's expensive. I tried Amazon and they had them but as usual with Amazon, "Let the Buyer Beware!!!" Prices all over the map. I got these two 2-pack Duracells and look at the box that they came in!!! There was one piece of brown paper in the box, not a lot and of course, these things were just rattling around inside. Box was 11"X8"X6". Talk about wasted volume! I am using Prime on a trial basis so I didn't pay for the shipping, holy cow.
Attachments
PrimeBox.jpg
Don
radiotvnut
Meridian, MS 39307

Post by radiotvnut »

I think I found out why my FedEx package is taking so long to show up. They send it SmartPost, which is a service that is so lousy that they need to do away with it (I call it FedEx DumbPost). That's where you drop the package off at FedEx, but they hand it off to the post office for delivery. When you get two incompetent outfits working together, then the outcome likely won't be good.
rocketeer
Mar Tue 30, 2010 1:24 am
Lehighton, PA.

Post by rocketeer »

radiotvnut wrote:I think I found out why my FedEx package is taking so long to show up. They send it SmartPost, which is a service that is so lousy that they need to do away with it (I call it FedEx DumbPost). That's where you drop the package off at FedEx, but they hand it off to the post office for delivery. When you get two incompetent outfits working together, then the outcome likely won't be good.
Smartpost was flushed back in 2021 and replaced with Fedex Ground Economy using only Fedex trucks etc thus eliminating the USPS from the equation. Whatever is holding up your package it isn't Smartpost.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/fedex ... ds-service

https://mailboxmaster.net/what-is-fedex ... ete-guide/
Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 15-17-12 What is FedEx SmartPost A Complete Guide - MAILBOX MASTER.png
Larry
kb3wbb
fifties
Canyon Country, CA

Post by fifties »

Don Cavey wrote:I got these two 2-pack Duracells and look at the box that they came in!!! There was one piece of brown paper in the box, not a lot and of course, these things were just rattling around inside. Box was 11"X8"X6". Talk about wasted volume!
That's been my experience with Amazon as well, for awhile now; the goods are a tiny fraction of the volume of the box.

Of course they have a reason, and it could be that in the past, smaller boxes were lost or damaged more than larger ones.

Funny thing is, I recently had an order which never arrived here returned by the carrier to their sub vendor, with the reason being, "damaged in shipment".

The order was for 5 Brass sprinkler heads. Now how the hell could those get damaged? Likely the box was dented or punched through, and of course they didn't know that the contents were really bullet proof.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST RADIOS WINS //////////////////
You must be register and login to post a reply.