AtwaterKent.info Website Missing?!

An informal area for conversations, humor and observations that aren't necessarily strictly radio related. No discussion of politics or religion. Ads are not permitted.

Moderator: Alan Voorhees

jjfritz
Aug Mon 11, 2008 12:01 pm
Lancaster, PA 17601

AtwaterKent.info Website Missing?!

Post by jjfritz »

I went to this website using a "Favorite" link I had and also a couple links to it in other posts, and it always goes to a GoDaddy site indicating that it is available?!?!
Am I doing something wrong, or has the AtwaterKent site shutdown?
Thanks
John
jclivenichols
Sep Thu 17, 2020 11:31 pm
Dayton, WA 99328

Re: AtwaterKent.info Website Missing?!

Post by jclivenichols »

I can't get it to open either.
Jim Nichols K7CXI
Indiana Radios
Sep Thu 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Carmel, Indiana

Post by Indiana Radios »

atwaterkent.info has expired and is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com. Get This Domain

The domain has expired. Apparently, payment to renew the domain name has not been made before a predetermined deadline. I think the owner of the domain "atwaterkent info" will have up to 30 days to make payment or the domain will be up for sale for anyone to buy. That's how it works with some domain providers.
Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com
Bruce MacMillan
May Sun 13, 2007 4:22 am
Deal, United Kingdom

Post by Bruce MacMillan »

It can still be accessed on the Internet Archive's way back machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20220819201 ... kent.info/" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
devilsmist
Jun Sat 15, 2019 6:43 pm
Minneapolis, Mn

Post by devilsmist »

This site belonged to Leigh Bassett a forum member who is now a silent key.

DM
Don Cavey
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

Post by Don Cavey »

devilsmist wrote:This site belonged to Leigh Bassett a forum member who is now a silent key.

DM
Unfortunately this is true and most likely the reason for the site not working. I don't know if anyone will continue to support it or even know how.
Don
jjfritz
Lancaster, PA 17601

Post by jjfritz »

Unfortunately it happens. I certainly hope that someone can continue this site. There is a lot of really good information available.
Thanks
John
AuroraOldRadios
Jul Sun 09, 2006 2:11 am
Clearwater, KS 67026

Post by AuroraOldRadios »

I was looking for that site a week ago and couldn't find it.
Dan B
Jeremy S
Georgetown, Indiana

Post by Jeremy S »

Don Cavey wrote:
devilsmist wrote:This site belonged to Leigh Bassett a forum member who is now a silent key.

DM
Unfortunately this is true and most likely the reason for the site not working. I don't know if anyone will continue to support it or even know how.
Leigh was married and his widow was alive at the time of his death per his obituary. Either something happened to her, or he never left instructions or had a successor lined up to take control of the site.

I'm suprised the links to the PDF draiwngs still work. I have noticed on many archived sites that downloadable files often become broken or don't archive with the rest of the site. I may download all of these while I can before they potentially become lost.
-Jeremy
Roaring Twenties Radio
Sep Mon 18, 2017 1:23 am
Plymouth, MI

Post by Roaring Twenties Radio »

Leigh was a great help to me when I started collecting AK sets and I was lucky enough to get to know him a bit. When he died, his wife gave me permission to add a wing to my online museum in his honor. You can download much of his work from there.

https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuse ... ssett-wing" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dan
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/
YouTube: Roaring Twenties Radio
Jeremy S
Georgetown, Indiana

Post by Jeremy S »

atwaterkent1 wrote:Leigh was a great help to me when I started collecting AK sets and I was lucky enough to get to know him a bit. When he died, his wife gave me permission to add a wing to my online museum in his honor. You can download much of his work from there.

https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuse ... ssett-wing" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did not know you were hosting this. Thanks Dan for your efforts! Leigh's schematics and belt diagram were a major help with my recent AK model 35 project.
-Jeremy
lostcauses10x
Feb Mon 25, 2013 2:39 am
Truth or Cosequences, NM

Post by lostcauses10x »

Any one have a clue if this site can be salvaged?
brnhornet52
Bristol TN 37620

Post by brnhornet52 »

Afaik, I thought Leigh had set up some sort of endowment
to keep the site going. I don't remember the specifics.
Roaring Twenties Radio
Plymouth, MI

Jeremy S wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:Leigh was a great help to me when I started collecting AK sets and I was lucky enough to get to know him a bit. When he died, his wife gave me permission to add a wing to my online museum in his honor. You can download much of his work from there.

I did not know you were hosting this. Thanks Dan for your efforts! Leigh's schematics and belt diagram were a major help with my recent AK model 35 project.
You're welcome! It's my honor to host his work.
Dan
Tom Schulz
Mar Sun 01, 2009 9:27 pm
Ann Arbor, MI

Post by Tom Schulz »

lostcauses10x wrote:Any one have a clue if this site can be salvaged?
Two things are needed:

The domain name has to be reactivated. As GoDaddy has the domain parked, it is likely they have all the information needed to restore it. That would have to include the address of the hosting server. They would want some money for this.

The hosting server has to either still be active or the hosting company would have to have the site backed up and be willing to restore it. They would want some money either way.

And then there would be reoccurring payments to be paid.
Tom
jjfritz
Lancaster, PA 17601

Post by jjfritz »

Good information Tom!
I would also think that someone should see if brnhornet52 is right about an Endowment to keep the site going. Would GoDaddy know the source of the funding that apparently stopped, and could they divulge that?
Is there a way to know what relative costs could be incurred to re-Host?
Thanks
John
lostcauses10x
Feb Mon 25, 2013 2:39 am
Truth or Cosequences, NM

Post by lostcauses10x »

Thanks for the info Tom.
Not sure how to approach this but will try.
Roaring Twenties Radio
Plymouth, MI

I'm going to see if I can get Leigh's website back up and running, if needed. I've already contacted GoDaddy and they've told me how to proceed. The first thing I need to do is contact Leigh's widow or family. I've contacted Alan to see if he has an email or phone number.
Dan
zenith82
Baltimore, MD

Post by zenith82 »

atwaterkent1 wrote:I'm going to see if I can get Leigh's website back up and running, if needed. I've already contacted GoDaddy and they've told me how to proceed. The first thing I need to do is contact Leigh's widow or family. I've contacted Alan to see if he has an email or phone number.
Hope you're able to get it back up, Dan. Although it had been a while since I last visited the site, I remember Leigh having a lot of good information out there.

I know he lived in Maryland, but I don't think he or his wife were originally from this state. It's possible she may have moved back "home", wherever that was, after he passed. That seems to be what a lot of people do in this area.
Tom

PM me for my email address
processhead
Jul Tue 15, 2008 5:13 pm
Gretna, Nebraska

Post by processhead »

I agee the website is a valuable resource worth preserving. Thanks, Dan.
Paul
...... how hard can it be?
You must be register and login to post a reply.