windows 10 constant updates - what are my options??

An informal area for conversations, humor and observations that aren't necessarily strictly radio related. No discussion of politics or religion. Ads are not permitted.

Moderator: Alan Voorhees

wireless 12
Jan Thu 29, 2009 8:10 pm
Marshfield, Wi,

windows 10 constant updates - what are my options??

Post by wireless 12 »

Hi to everyone. I have a hp desktop running windows 10 operating system. In the last few weeks , I seems to have a windows update about every 3 days. It always tells me updating system. It usually takes about 15 minutes. It sometimes tells me undoing changes. I did not make any changes that I am aware of. I am really getting sick of this. I seem to have no control of my computer, windows does. What are my options to change operating systems. Is the apple system any better, or something called ubantu. I am open to any reasonable suggestions.

signed
extremely frustrated
manualman
Nov Sat 07, 2009 10:37 pm
Sayreville, NJ 08872

Re: windows 10 constant updates - what are my options??

Post by manualman »

You might want to supply more info as to what the message says (words, numbers, version, etc.).

I have a HP win 10 desktop that does something similar. I originally had an HP printer connected to this machine. The printer went bad so I removed the connection to the desktop. However, in the list of printers under the printer folder, I haven't uninstalled or deleted this particular printer. So, win 10 still thinks (I guess) that the printer is connected. So, it tries to update the printer software. The next time the machine is booted, it tries to install the software again, I guess, because the printer really isn't there to handshake with the "new" software the last time the update software was installed.

And round and round it goes :mrgreen:
Pete WA2CWA "A cluttered desk is a sign of genius"
https://www.manualman.com"
RDPipes
Aug Sun 06, 2023 10:31 pm
Fruitvale,TX.

Post by RDPipes »

I personally would stop Automatic updates and choose manual, this way you decide when to do updates and you get to pick what updates are installed and see what updates it wants you to install.
It will categorize updates as to what's important and what is optional also so you can see exactly what your installing.
Blustar1
Jan Mon 04, 2010 1:52 am
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Post by Blustar1 »

Time is actually in your favor, and not Microsoft's. Personally, I would simply try to delay the updates until the last possible moment. In my case, what usually happens is that the updates will finally show up while I'm booting up the computer some morning.
tubes4life
Aug Tue 24, 2010 7:56 pm
Jacksonville, Florida

Post by tubes4life »

Something seems off about getting updates every 3 days. I have 10 as well, and I get reminded to install updates maybe once every 1-2 months? Of course, I have it set to let me install them when I want
William
sprman
Dec Sat 08, 2007 8:51 pm
Nashville TN

Post by sprman »

Go manual !Way better than automatic.. Win 10 will update unless you set how you want it to update.Angelo
ttx450cap
May Sun 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Lake Charter Township, MI

Post by ttx450cap »

I've been getting several updates over the last few weeks on my 10 win box. Kind of annoying.. got another one today that needs to be installed.
only the dead fish go with the flow
steveozz
May Tue 31, 2022 4:47 am
Bunbury Australia

Post by steveozz »

Turn on metered connection. Ask Mr Google.
Worked for me.
From the Windows desktop, navigate: Start. Settings. ...
Tap or click. Wi-Fi. .
Tap or click. Manage known networks. .
Select the desired wireless network connection.
Tap or click the. Metered connection switch. to turn on or off .

Steve.
ttx450cap
May Sun 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Lake Charter Township, MI

Post by ttx450cap »

It has to do with your hardware and software. My linux boxes do the same, some I get many updates, other very few.
only the dead fish go with the flow
thyratron26
Mar Thu 29, 2012 7:51 pm
Fargo, ND

Post by thyratron26 »

Due to a failing HDD I had to "upgrade" to a new W10 install on my desktop a couple of weeks back.

I was getting update notices pretty frequently for a week or so but things have since settled down.

Could years ago I acquired a used laptop that prior owner had wiped and put a fresh W10 install on and then never used it. When I got it going 4yrs later, it was doing lots of updates and restarts for days before it settled down.

You didn't mention if this was a new install but that could explain things.
simplex1040
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Paducah KY 42001

Post by simplex1040 »

If it is "undoing changes" It could be an update that it tries to install then fails and reverts back ( hence "undoing changes")

That would explain the every three day attempt to install updates.
... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. .
bobwilson1977
Dec Mon 08, 2008 7:27 pm
Alameda,CA

Post by bobwilson1977 »

Or- Get a Mac. No more pesky, annoying windows problems!
westcoastjohn
Dec Sat 24, 2011 8:17 pm
Qualicum Beach, Canada

Post by westcoastjohn »

I shut my Win 10 laptop off every night. It never gives me grief and is even better without Norton which was causing trouble with Windows driver updates, was actively blocking them.
Updates help keep your defenses up to date.
I don't get the philosophy behind preventing updates. They are not bad for you. :D
Last edited by westcoastjohn on Nov Wed 29, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read the War Diaries: A Radio Amateur in Kyiv, Stalemate by Volodymyr Gurtovy
[:l>I
Macrohenry
Austin TX

Post by Macrohenry »

Could the updates be Windows Defender updated antivirus definitions and malicious software tools? I actually look forward to those.
It's hard to be simultaneously curious and annoyed
Roaring Twenties Radio
Sep Mon 18, 2017 1:23 am
Plymouth, MI

Post by Roaring Twenties Radio »

tubes4life wrote:Something seems off about getting updates every 3 days. I have 10 as well, and I get reminded to install updates maybe once every 1-2 months? Of course, I have it set to let me install them when I want
Agreed. I have Windows 10 with auto-update and I rarely get an update.
Dan
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/
YouTube: Roaring Twenties Radio
zenith82
Baltimore, MD

Post by zenith82 »

I ditched Windows for Linux many years ago and never looked back. Gone are all the pesky endless forced updates, finicky applications, and blue screens of death.
Tom

PM me for my email address
Roaring Twenties Radio
Sep Mon 18, 2017 1:23 am
Plymouth, MI

Post by Roaring Twenties Radio »

I've always had Windows and I haven't seen any of those things for over a decade.
Dan
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/
YouTube: Roaring Twenties Radio
Barry H Bennett
Nov Wed 30, 2016 6:35 pm
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

Post by Barry H Bennett »

It could be your apps updating, courtesy of windows. My system was getting so bogged down I finally consulted google enough times to get all that background junk turned off.

Unfortunately, a windows update might turn all that useless junk back on. But I set windows update to the longest possible time window, about 2months if I recall, and all is quiet for the time being.

They expect you to have a gigawatt processor, infinite storage, and a 148x light speed internet connection . The real world doesn’t work the same as Microsoft’s development lab.

Lest someone with a Mac chime in, they are getting almost as bad. I’ve got both.
Preserving the hist. of electronics, one boat anchor at a time! :)
https://www.bbtvtestequipment.com
You must be register and login to post a reply.