Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 22, 2020 12:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Antique Radio Charlotte -- March 26-28 CANCELLED
PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 12:45 pm 

The website of the Carolinas chapter of the Antique Wireless Association has been updated with information about its upcoming 3-day show -- March 26-28 -- which this year (for the first time) is being co-hosted by the Carolina Antique Music & Phonograph Society and will focus on antique phonographs as well as antique radios.

The conference is an annual event, and it typically brings hundreds of attendees from all over the east coast, including many locals who aren't necessarily hardcore enthusiasts but have a general interest in electro-mechanical antiques.

The show is being held once again at the Sheraton Hotel in Charlotte NC, just a few minutes from the airport.

The two clubs have indoor as well as outdoor tables available for phonograph and radio vendors, and the hotel is offering drastically discounted rooms to show attendees who book early and mention what function they're attending (tell them "Antique Radio Charlotte." BTW, the discount is worth taking advantage of -- the hotel's rooms are not cheap if you make reservations at the last minute).

On the radio group's website, there's now a link to the event, along with a downloadable brochure and contact info for the hotel. There's a separate link at the bottom of that page for vendor information, and there's a form in brochure for vendor table reservations. I don't think the radio club is set up with paypal, so you'll need to mail the form in or bring it to the show.

Here's the link: http://cc-awa.club/arc

-- Grant

Post subject: Re: Antique Radio Charlotte -- March 26-28
PostPosted: Feb Sat 15, 2020 3:10 pm 

I just called and set up my hotel reservation. I may be able to help others avoid the hassle I had getting a room. At first, I was told hotel was booked up. I told her there was a block of rooms reserved for AWA, antique radio, still nothing. She finally found the block of rooms under Carolinas Wireless. I asked her to add Radio in there somewhere to make it easier to find.......maybe she did??

Ed

PostPosted: Feb Sat 15, 2020 3:41 pm 

That's good to know, Ed. Thanks for the heads up. I made my Sheraton reservation on Wednesday, and the reservation agent was able to find the block of rooms under "Antique Radio Charlotte," but it did take her a while to find it.

--Grant

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 7:16 am 

Is any publicity being done in the Charlotte area for this event? I have never seen any and that is a VERY weathy town, new apartments going up everywhere, would love to see some folks under the age of 60 at this event. Nobody in Charlotte seems to know it exists. i have attended every one of them for 26 years now, its a nice escape from late Michigan winter.

http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Mar Wed 04, 2020 10:33 pm 

Regarding making reservations. I just spent the better part of an hour trying to make mine. First got the run around with their regular reservation line... I referenced mentioned Charlotte Wireless, AWA, radio, etc., no clue. They suggested I call the hotel directly (which I did but got “regular” off-site reservations). Called back same number, dialed “0” and waited. Mentioned Charlotte Wireless, AWA, radio, etc., and they transferred me to Cathy Cook. No answer, so I left my info for a call back. Hit zero again, asked if Cathy Cook was on the premises and was told she left at 4pm. Geez, with I’d known that all when I originally called. 704-392-1200, when you get the prompt to hit an option, press “0” and ask for Cathy Cook and good luck!

K4DLM

PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 2:16 am 

Dnitram wrote:
Regarding making reservations. I just spent the better part of an hour trying to make mine. First got the run around with their regular reservation line... I referenced mentioned Charlotte Wireless, AWA, radio, etc., no clue. They suggested I call the hotel directly (which I did but got “regular” off-site reservations). Called back same number, dialed “0” and waited. Mentioned Charlotte Wireless, AWA, radio, etc., and they transferred me to Cathy Cook. No answer, so I left my info for a call back. Hit zero again, asked if Cathy Cook was on the premises and was told she left at 4pm. Geez, with I’d known that all when I originally called. 704-392-1200, when you get the prompt to hit an option, press “0” and ask for Cathy Cook and good luck!

I called the hotel direct last week and they had it under Charlotte Antique Radio I think but she said I had the last room in the block, so maybe thats why they didnt have anything showing.
The brochure for the show showed up one day before the last day you could book the discounted rooms at the host hotel CHarlotte Sheraton Airport Hotel).

http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 3:04 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
Dnitram wrote:

I called the hotel direct last week and they had it under Charlotte Antique Radio I think but she said I had the last room in the block, so maybe thats why they didnt have anything showing.
The brochure for the show showed up one day before the last day you could book the discounted rooms at the host hotel CHarlotte Sheraton Airport Hotel).

Mark,

I did finally speak to Cathy the next day and got a room in "the block" of those reserved. Probably took 8+ calls... so persistence is key>

David

K4DLM

PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 4:59 pm 

If you plan on attending and no reservations are available, try the Hampton Inn in Belmont, NC
Address: 820 Cecilia Alexander Dr, Belmont, NC 28012 - Phone: (704) 825-6100 or the
Holiday Inn Express in Belmont/Mt Holly, NC
Address: 250 Beatty Dr, Belmont, NC 28012 - Phone: (704) 812-2000
Both are in good locations and a short trip toward Charlotte on I-85 will get you to the show.

Belmont has a number of good restaurants downtown - The Lodge, String Bean and Old Stone Steakhouse are a couple of my favorites.
There are also several breweries and sports bars.
There is a huge antique mall on Hwy 7 (Catawba Street) in East Belmont and Piccolo Antiques downtown, in case you want something to do.
CATAWBA RIVER ANTIQUE MALL
406 Catawba Street
Belmont, NC
704-825-2383

PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2020 1:11 am 

I received this meet update earlier today via email:

As of Saturday afternoon, March 14, the governor of North Carolina issued an Executive Order prohibiting gatherings of more than 100 people. As a result, the Carolinas Chapter of the Antique Wireless Association is forced to postpone Antique Radio Charlotte 2020 to an as-of-yet undetermined date. If you have already sent in your registration fees, you will receive a refund or your un-deposited check returned in the mail. We don’t think anyone is more disappointed than the Meet Committee but we look forward to seeing our radio and phonograph friends in the near future!

K4DLM

Post subject: Re: Antique Radio Charlotte -- March 26-28 CANCELLED
PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 2:33 am 

Glad to hear this is actually a postponement and not a cancellation.

Ed

Post subject: Re: Antique Radio Charlotte -- March 26-28 CANCELLED
PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 9:20 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
I got a phone call this morning from a member of the CC-AWA
board of directors, he said they don't really expect to be able
to postpone the meet, they just hope to start again fresh in 2021.