Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 23, 2020 11:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kutztown
PostPosted: Sep Sun 13, 2020 1:24 am 

Pennsylvania is no longer on the MA Travel Order Exempt List, so I'd have to quarantine for 14 days after getting back. Therefore, it isn't looking too good for my plans to travel to this show. :( Hopefully, things will have cleared a bit by next spring.
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Sep Mon 14, 2020 5:25 pm 

Sal Brisindi wrote:
I will be there but as a spectator on Friday...

Sal

No capacitors ? :cry:

PostPosted: Sep Tue 15, 2020 9:37 pm 

Going to miss this one. Hope everyone has a great time and hope to see everyone in the Spring.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 15, 2020 9:50 pm 

It won't be the same without you, Steve!

See you in the Spring!
-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 16, 2020 9:22 pm 

I'll be there with lots of Crystal sets, early radio items and tubes.

I'm in booth #457 on the far end of the main pavilion by the Porta potties.

I'm paying top dollar for Western Electric audio items such as: Western Electric tubes, speakers drivers, amplifiers, etc. Also buying audio tubes and other tube audio equipment. If you have any of these items and you're going to Kutztown, bring them to my booth to receive an offer.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 3:39 am 

Arriving early and listening to KUR 1670 am. (Kutztown University Radio). Pretty good reception here at Renningers. Skip is good tonight. hahahahahahaha
Attachment:
20200916_175210.jpg
20200916_175210.jpg [ 600.84 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]

Attachment:
20200916_175750.jpg
20200916_175750.jpg [ 580.31 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 7:32 pm 

Anyone from NYC going? I have to work and am likely to miss it, but have a thing I need picked up and one dropped off.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 9:56 pm 

Good Luck with ur pony Express

Those pictures are cool, early AM...How about some more recent pics ? Friday pix n early Friday videos would be most welcome, as well...Thanks, in advance...

This is the first Kutz show I have missed in 22 years ! I hope it's a great one for the brave attendees...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 10:06 pm 

I decided to skip Friday :( I'll stop by Saturday a.m. for a bit.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 10:34 pm 

With a PICC line for my elbow, and continued problems with my right knee, it looks like I am out for this meet. If everything gets fixed over the next few months, I plan to go in the Spring.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 5:07 pm 

I just got back home. It was surprisingly full and busy today. Delivered some items, got some knobs, and met many old friends. Great day. :D

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 6:45 pm 

I just got home, too. Picked up 2 radios and some caps. I saw no drop in the vender count.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 8:59 pm 

We also just got home. Plenty of vendors. The "overflow" pavilion was almost full. Also, this year we actually bought some stuff at the farmers market. Potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries and a big pumpkin that was only $7. (I hope it lasts till Halloween)

PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 9:44 pm 

We just got back...great day, very decent amount of vendors. You guys who stayed home missed a good radio meet

PostPosted: Sep Sat 19, 2020 1:24 am 

Surprisingly crowded, lots of good stuff. It was just like normal, with a handful of vendors missing.

I picked up 3 NOS 6U5's, a red dial Philharmonic tuner chassis, and a Boonton 92A RF probe kit. All at great prices.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 19, 2020 2:53 am 

lucky01 wrote:
Just got back from Kutztown with 2 of my friends. Great event if you were interest in buying a radio, television or record player. If your coming to the show for old parts forget it your not going to find much. Found very little in older parts in order to repair radios. I've notice this the last couple of years. The few parts I did find were not marked what radio they came from. If you what new people to get involved in the hobby we need to get the old parts available for them to repair the old radios they get. Its feels like these parts are being horded an not made available to new people trying to get in the hobby. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way.

What parts are you looking for? The only thing I didn't see in great supply today was knobs and grill cloth, and to be fair about grill cloth that's a part that has been hard to find in certain patterns in recent years anywhere. It seems like grill cloth reproduction peaked in the late 90s-late 00s but sometime around 2010 most of the patterns being reproduced ended when the factory doing the work went under.

In some ways, its easier now than ever to find parts because so many knobs are being repop'd, Mark is doing dial covers, Radio Daze is doing dials & graphics, and even the tube lineup for the transoceanis is now being commercially made in solid-state replacement format. Sure most of that you have to order online but with the tens of thousands of radios that were made between 1920-1960 it would be impossible for a vendor to bring all that to a meet. A lot of these companies will expand their offerings if you need something they don't have in their catalogs yet.

A lot of the tube hoarding is not due to collectors but genuine scarcity (eye tubes have a 1500-1800 expected lifespan and there's only so many NOS ones out there) or audiophiles & DIY circuit makers. The #50 tube only started going for triple digit numbers after those types of buyers in S.E. Asia bought up all the ones they could find in the US. The #45 tube in NOS only started hitting $50+ prices in the 90s when the same thing happened. I remember when Antique Electrical Supply had to switch the 35Z5 to "call for price" for the first time maybe 20 years ago. Reason? Too many people just getting started were assuming they needed to replace all the tubes in their AA5 sets to restore them and AES simply ran out of inventory for the time being.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 19, 2020 3:02 am 

The table next to Palmquist had an excellent supply and selection of quality grill cloth. There was a second table across from his that also offered grill cloth. Of course Koste was there with his huge selection of knobs. I purchased a nice selection of grill cloth and knobs in addition to radios and tubes.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 19, 2020 4:06 am 

Maybe it’s time to give up on that project. There are easier pickings. There are plenty of us who have thrown in the towel on a radio or two.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 19, 2020 4:20 am 

I'm sorry I upset you trying to find the parts to restore my Grandparents radio. Would you give up trying to find parts for your Grandparents radios and tosethem info the trash? I don't think so. I'll just give up looking on this forum a few d no I'm not giving up on these projects.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 19, 2020 5:19 am 

You could probably get away with individual generic tube shields until if/when you find a parts radio for the #70. I have also seen tinfoil work as an improvised tube shield. Electronically the tube isn't going to care what the shield looks like and should perform just as good electronically. Just don't accidentally short the tinfoil to one of the pins or gridcap when wrapping the tube, and find a clean rivet or chassis spot near the socket for it to make contact with. Some individual shields would contact to a tube pin intentionally if that pin is connected to chassis (Goat shields had optional parts for that). You may even find the set doesn't really care if certain normally-shielded tubes aren't shielded. A lot of those shields got omitted when putting the sets back together during previous repairs without anyone noticing.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 87 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next