Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 23, 2021 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to attract younger members into this Hobby/Passion
PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 12:23 am 

Ours is a very narrowly focused obscure hobby. Different social backgrounds and age groups are naturally attracted to different things. It's no accident members here doesn't discuss much about Arudino programming, SMD soldering, or drone building.

Trying to get younger people interested in 80-year old radios and rusted chassis would be like pushing me to join the local quilting club. I think we can just enjoy our hobby and not worry about it.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 6:41 am 

AJJ wrote:
I think we can just enjoy our hobby and not worry about it.

That appears to be a grounded assessment. Antiques of all kinds will always have followers -even *gasp* AM radios. The hobby will never die. Shrink maybe, but there'll always be collectors.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 8:22 am 

Have swap meets that don't begin before daylight and end by 11:00 a.m.

RRM

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 6:07 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Have swap meets that don't begin before daylight and end by 11:00 a.m.

RRM

That might attract some older people too. My experience has been that the sellers start packing up at 10 and many are gone by 10:30 There are jokes about 10 o'clock sales referring to people who don't want to take their stuff back home.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 7:18 pm 

Indeed, expecting people with young children to show-up at 0dark:30 on a Saturday morning is just plain silly.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 10:05 pm 

Give away components to make an AM radio, crystal set, 1 transistor , etc. With the box lot simple instructions. Develop a blue-tooth add-on to the simple set so it can be played without having ratty old school headphones, but, played through the cellphone, solderless construction... Develop a YouTube video how to use the parts.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 02, 2020 7:17 pm 

i mean, do we want to invite competition? more cool stuff for me. if they don't "get" it, that's their loss.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 03, 2020 4:56 am 

Strangely or not, I got "interested" at 10 yo and at 16 I was called by an uncle (who owned a Radio-TV shop) to pickup a collection of radios. They were all 20's era radios that had been lovingly kept in a home for many years. I thought to myself what nut I am for holding onto these things, but they were too "cool" to ruin. Fine wooden cabinets, polished Bakelite and large tubes and the hand made skills. You can't imagine how tough it was to get information on these radios in 1963... Let alone extra tubes, batteries, etc... The entire collection, was given to me for free...

Last edited by Chas on Dec Thu 03, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 03, 2020 9:30 am 

Brettzky99 wrote:
i mean, do we want to invite competition? more cool stuff for me. if they don't "get" it, that's their loss.

Why do you consider new members as "competition"?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 03, 2020 6:38 pm 

fifties wrote:
Brettzky99 wrote:

Why do you consider new members as "competition"?

sorry about that, i was only being sarcastic. in fact, if you go back earlier on this topic you'll see I wrote a very thoughtful response.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 03, 2020 7:46 pm 

As a late teen I was fascinated by the primitive technology that I could actually understand. I read Popular Electronics and the article about fixing a (I think) Atwater Kent cathedral style radio... The article title was Restoreth Thy Rellic.... In my town here in the Carolinas, old radios were few and far between. But eventually I found some and really enjoyed fixing both the cabinets and the guts. Then I began to have the opportunity to exhibit my finds at ham fests, the public library and even during open house days at my community college. Back then I wanted to demonstrate the radios and certainly could not find 20s and 30s vintage music on the radio in the late 60s & early 70s.... That is where I developed a passion for finding vintage music... I could just about care less for modern pop music of the day. I am still amazed at what collectors are turning up from those decades gone by... As I reach the end of my days, I've found great interest in researching how humanity actually got to the place we are. That is a BIG subject so I've mostly limited my scope to communications technology. None of this stuff that many of us like to collect can tell us a "darn" thing about why they exist. Finding that info and working it into an decent narrative for teaching about our times has given me new reasons to remain moving about on the green side of the grass. If the general public were more aware of the 'why', the lore and the hardware might survive better.

Robert

PostPosted: Dec Mon 07, 2020 8:05 am 

One thing I see in the radio hobby is, it's very difficult to find help for the inevitable mess I make of restoration. I love my windup record players because when they break down, I can fix them myself. I'd rather stuff mainsprings back into a Victrola than have to figure out the snakes'-nest inside of a radio chassis.

I don't buy 1950s stuff generally. I don't like the look, and I don't like stuff from the 1950s--TV shows, music, books, etc. To me it's too modern. Any generation that could come on, take a look at a high-end Waterman fountain pen from the '40s, and say "nah, we'll use Bics," missed out on some great styles and design.

I like old stuff, and mainly to put back to use every day. Just got a 1930s kitchen mixer, cooked Sunday brunch in a 1937 waffle iron, wear wool a lot, basically that sort of thing. I like old-school living; it's quieter this way and I like quiet and focused things.

Mr. Robert Lozier's situation is similar: I agree that modern music isn't as fun as finding & enjoying the real thing. I believe I met you, Mr. Lozier, at an antique phonograph swap meet up in North Carolina. Those are the highlight of the collecting year, and I wish I could have come up to see what the Charlotte wireless society was up to.

Charles F.

Age 22-ish

Attachments:
File comment: The radio is 1939, the graphophone 1909-1910. Fifties Moderne would not match the furniture. I still use the graphophone.
DSC00852.JPG
DSC00852.JPG [ 462.65 KiB | Viewed 960 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 07, 2020 2:39 pm 

Yep, Charles.... We did meet one time at the delightful phono show on Lake Norman as I recall....

You certainly 'stuck out in the crowd' because.... you know.... You are not one of us old wheezers....

Carry-on with your interests and better yet if you can figure-out how communicate your enthusiasm to others in the decades to come.

All the best,

Robert

PostPosted: Dec Mon 07, 2020 8:42 pm 

It is not an easy thing to do. I was always fascinated with electronics, i fixed a few radios when i was young, but then life happened and i did not touch a resistor for 30 years. That was about 15 years ago (you can guess my age). My town offers classes on several subjects, i thought about creating a class for collecting and repairing radios, but then COVID. IMO this is the only way to get new people into the hobby.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 17, 2020 8:50 pm 

Hi,
I think there are more young people that are on here than you might think. I'm 29, and all of my family has been into records as long as I can remember. My dad loves to play records, however he doesn't know a darn thing about trying to fix them, or where to get new needles. The internet is amazing in its resources, and I think keeping alive is by doing what we're doing, posting about our projects, answering questions for those that are asking for help. First thing when I find something new to me, I look for a post on it, or a YouTube video. More and more young people are interested in records. It usually takes them one junky amazon player before they realize they need something better and start looking around on the internet, or ask a friend that's involved in it. I like old radios, but don't find much to listen to on the a.m. A project soon will be an am transmitter with a lil7.

Have fun. Keep posting. Young people may also not post as much, and just read old posts too somtimes. :) :D

PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2020 3:08 am 

Most (not all) of the young folk I've encountered interested in vintage electronics of all kinds are innovative musicians or sound engineers looking to make their sound "more interesting" to their peers than things recorded just "in the box". I hear time and time again how "vintage gear plug -ins" don't really appeal to these sorts of creative young people.
Actually having the "Vintage Audio" forum split into "subgroups" when Alan and the moderators/programmers have the time to do so, would be helpful for adding the younger generation to the hobby I believe.
Sections specifically for "Record players", "Vintage microphones", "vintage pro audio gear", "vintage Hi-Fi amps" "vintage PA" and "Vintage speakers" are some suggestions that come to mind that might even cause some obsessed youngsters to post all over their "social media" sites and perhaps create a lasting trend in the culture, lots of "radios" we collect contain some of these features. So perhaps it would also generate the "blue tooth" crowd, etc, to check old radios out, too.
Some vintage radios with push/pull power sections may appeal if modified to the "stay at home" younger guitarists as "small amps" these days, too, since the corporations are doing their darndest to eliminate privately owned or initiated live performance, regardless of the current situation.

-Kent

PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2020 4:56 pm 

Perhaps we have this all wrong. I agree that there are folks that have a wide degree of interests in vintage electronics and technology. Inevitably there will be social media channels that spring up to support this interest.

Its not "how can we attract younger members" its "how can the current clubs and social media outlets adapt to stay relevant".

As i've previously posted. Antique radios early on were the main focus on vintage electronics but now it is but a single category in a much broader "vintage electronics" hobby.

Steve

PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2020 5:02 pm 

Chas wrote:
Strangely or not, I got "interested" at 10 yo and at 16 I was called by an uncle (who owned a Radio-TV shop) to pickup a collection of radios. They were all 20's era radios that had been lovingly kept in a home for many years. I thought to myself what nut I am for holding onto these things, but they were too "cool" to ruin. Fine wooden cabinets, polished Bakelite and large tubes and the hand made skills. You can't imagine how tough it was to get information on these radios in 1963... Let alone extra tubes, batteries, etc... The entire collection, was given to me for free...
Nice story! I was six when you got that collection. I sometimes wish I'd started collecting radios when I lived in the St. Louis area (1957 to 1986), but better late (2008) than never.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2020 5:06 pm 

targeteye wrote:
It is not "how can we attract younger members" its "how can the current clubs and social media outlets adapt to stay relevant?" Steve
Yep, doing the same old same old is working so well …. starting events at 0dark:30, and such.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 29, 2020 7:18 am 

Has interest in history declined in this age of instant everything? I've always been interested in the past. Each new generation is further removed from the time before you could access everything with a smart phone. It's quite a fundamental change, and affects every aspect of life. There will always be exceptions, but I think there's going to be a tremendous cultural and experiential gulf that would need to be bridged, and I'm not sure that's really going to happen.

I don't think the old radio hobby is going to die off completely, but it's going to drastically shrink. Doing more with YouTube and such seems like a good idea. Or maybe clubs could visit schools (if security can allow this anymore) to demonstrate early radios and TVs to show kids what reality used to be. One or two weird kids will probably stick around afterwards and ask questions :)

Dale

(I think we have far bigger things to worry about for the future than the extinction of old radios...)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next