Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 4:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kutztown XXXIX, September 21-22
PostPosted: Oct Mon 01, 2018 12:41 pm 

Michael,
I took this Case cabinet out of the fire line. Mark said you might want it.
I dont know how to send photos in PM.

:)

Attachments:
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3954.JPG [ 241.92 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]
IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG [ 126.35 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]
IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3958.JPG [ 164.31 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Mon 01, 2018 10:35 pm 

Historically, these shows have been better and they have been worse. We have weathered torrential rainstorms but simple cloudy weather keeps collectors from making the trip. The autumn show is always less crowded, compared to springtime. A summer show could fly well and the owners/sponsors know we would love a third summer event.

Saturday busy ? I cannot remember a busy Saturday unless you go back to an earlier era when shows set-up/began on Fridays. After Thursday's set-up and the hopeful Friday crowd, we are all very tired on Saturday. The buyers seem to stroll in on Saturday, compared to the morning rush and afternoon rush on Friday.

I think the publicity efforts can definitely be better. The younguns do not care, yet. The nearby college and town knows of the shows long before they happen. Different types of publicity press releases need to be fabricated for the varying promoting venues. So, mention in an Antique Classifieds events section will be different than the press release sent to college radio stations. But, there lies the need. Who will be preparing these press releases ? I believe we, the fellow collectors/exhibitors/vendors have to create the publicity and help to spread the word.

Remember when there were great college and public radio stations ? Well, believe it or not, some are still very special, at times. The jazz, blues and classical stations would all mention these shows as a public, semi-local event. Technical schools might help. Another possibility is to have some historical or more repair demonstrations, like Mark did a few years back fixing a very torn speaker. The club table always has Pete fixing stuff for many folks. Does the public know that ?

When historical or technical demonstrations are involved, we move into the "educational " realm, bringing back the avid hobbiest involvement and public service announcements. This would be worthy of mentioning to many more newspapers and forums. How about a serious Digital audio vs. Turntable setup comparison ? While many of us are spinning our 45s and 78s, an early evening get-together comparing quality audio systems using the same musical records/discs/files might attract more audio conscious folks. We all know the Kutz shows are as much an audio event as an antique radio event. We could even have a great EH Scott vs. McMurdo shootout if the set owners would agree...

I simply recommend we somehow get it together on the behalf of all involved...It is time we stop relying on this "the public or collector has to link for themselves" kind of thinking...

PostPosted: Oct Thu 25, 2018 1:20 am 

Quote:
Kutztown is a lovely town

Sure it is and that’s not the reason we go to the meet.
I love to go when I can, but it’s in the middle of nowhere.
At least the Adamstown suggestion was good to pull in the casual antique crowd and it’s right off
Consider putting this event closer to a major city.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 28, 2018 3:44 am 

SmoothOscillator wrote:
Quote:
Kutztown is a lovely town

Sure it is and that’s not the reason we go to the meet.
I love to go when I can, but it’s in the middle of nowhere.
At least the Adamstown suggestion was good to pull in the casual antique crowd and it’s right off
Consider putting this event closer to a major city.

We don't go for any one particular reason, rather it's the culmination of several positive points -- the charming town being one of them.

Although I've lived in Manhattan for 33 years I was born in Harrisburg and grew up in Mechanicsburg, where I still have family. As such we've been going to and have been fans of Adamstown for decades. It certainly would increase the draw, but I'll posit Adamstown is even more in the middle of nowhere than Kutztown. Outside the antique malls I can't imagine strolling around Adamstown for more than an hour, there's nothing to see.

Unless Boehringer's considers extending their season. :) Damn, that place is good! Had mint ice cream there that tasted like biting into a mint leaf (without the leafy aspect).

PostPosted: Oct Sun 28, 2018 6:42 am 

I think the Saturday shows got less after they moved the auction to Friday instead of Saturday

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2018 7:00 pm 

Kind of puts our little bonfire to shame...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAHxShbjw50&t=36s

PostPosted: Nov Sun 11, 2018 1:25 pm 

Most shown in the pile weren't Regenerative sets or "Bloopers" as they called them.

But yeah, that was some bonfire!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!