Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 7:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AMPEX sign in Redwood City looking for new home....CHRS?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 13, 2018 11:30 pm 

Stanford has removed the Ampex sign on 101 and apparently is looking to donate it to a local historical group. Anybody interested?
https://padailypost.com/2018/08/17/a-bit-of-silicon-valley-history-the-ampex-sign-is-about-to-disappear/
https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/local/the-ampex-sign-and-the-german-connection/article_e3d643a6-b49e-11e8-b641-6788186d4dd8.html

Matt

Post subject: Re: AMPEX sign in Redwood City looking for new home....CHRS?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 18, 2018 1:12 pm 

I sent a note to the Museum of Broadcast Technology in RI, but likely they were already contacted. We'll see. Hopefully they will want it or know someone that might. Too big for the living room or .........

PostPosted: Oct Wed 24, 2018 12:12 am 

I'll ask our president at CHRS. Thanks for the head's up
Edit: we were contacted. We simply don't have room: its over 20 feet long. We hope it goes to a local museum as Ampex was very big here

PostPosted: Nov Sat 03, 2018 5:30 am 

In the second url is the AMPEX story, nicely told.
Quote:
Recording on discs was standard for the broadcast industry in the United States before Ampex changed the game. Discs were easily subject to shock, vibration and temperature changes. The other option was wire recording which was mainly used as a dictation device.

The Germans were way ahead. In 1938, magnetic tape was standard in Germany and by 1941 all German radio stations were using high-fidelity Magnetophons. A typical radio day in Germany would include live and taped speeches by Nazi officials, interspersed with taped music and commentary. Such flexibility would not come to American radio for nearly 10 more years.

and then this wonderful reader comment:
Quote:
loucovey Sep 10, 2018 1:18pm - It would be nice if these paeans to Ampex included some of the contributions the company made to the local neighborhood in Redwood City. Things like the elimination of open space, the security guards running off non employees from the fountain areas, the use of Proposition 13 to stop paying virtually any property tax, for not making any contribution to the community at all, for their shortsighted management of marketing and finance that caused the layoffs for hundreds of workers, the traffic impact on the community from out of town employees, increasing the flooding of south Redwood City by forcing runoff into the Friendly Acres and the mobile home parks. Yess, they were a great neighbor.... and good riddance to that sign.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 03, 2018 10:51 am 

Looks like someone didn't appreciate Ampex. Perhaps overlooking the idea that the city would never have been much without them?

I did hear back from the MBT ... they have an Ampex sign, a lot smaller, and unfortunately no room for one this size. Hope someone ends up with it

PostPosted: Nov Sat 03, 2018 9:43 pm 

I got a kick out of that reader comment as well. They made their pre-recorded tapes just a few miles from my house in Elk Grove Village, IL. Maybe I'll get lucky someday and fall into a giant estate sale loaded with their tapes for pennies. A fellow at audiokarma sent me this link recently which was interesting.
https://ethw.org/First-Hand:My_Ten_Years_at_Ampex_and_the_Development_of_the_Video_Recorder

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 6:16 pm 

Theres a good history on video recorders on Wikipedia , Bing Crosby put a lot of money into it because he wanted to be able to watch his Baseball team when he couldn't see it live .
Strangely in early 1960 maybe 1961 he was not able to watch the world series so he had the games kinescoped and because he did that there is a good archive of those games.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 11:16 pm 

I read early videotape cost about $300 per hour. According to Duke there is no tape of Super Bowl II and most of the early Johnny Carson shows don't exist because they reused the tape. Last weekend there was an early 70's 1 inch Ampex VPR-5800 at a local auction. I thought about attending or placing an absentee bid, but came to my senses and stayed away. Hopefully somebody got a deal.

https://blogs.library.duke.edu/bitstreams/2017/07/27/history-videotape-part-1/

Attachment:
vpr5800.jpg
vpr5800.jpg [ 50.95 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 1:18 pm 

Interesting Ampex deck there... I had a few in the studio in the early days ... they were amazing in that they ever worked at all. I can't see the model number but I'm betting it's an A wrap format, which came and went fairly quickly. VPR7000 comes to mind but I could be way off... 40 year old memories.....

Always had one or two down for maintenance. They used a flat pancake style rotor in the drive motors for both reels and the drum, that were always getting clogged up with "carbon brush droppings". If you didn't open them up and clean them regularly, the rotor would smoke.

And occasionally a TANTALUM cap would short out and basically connect the + and - DC supplies together. Before the fuse could blow, it would cause mayhem that usually took 2-3 days to fix. And heaven help you if you didn't have two decks so you could swap boards to find which modules had something blow up, and which didn't.

It was FUN back then :)