Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 4:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Yesterdays Festival, FL Goldhead Branch Radio Display Jan 26
PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 4:49 pm 

Not sure if this is the right place for this. I will have a small display of 1920s-1930s radios at this old tyme stuff festival, Goldhead Branch State Park "Yesterdays Festival". Radios are of the type that might have been in use when the park was being built by the CCC in 1930s.
Antique engines, farm equipment, antique tractors, some steam; civil war to WWII military stuff, great fun.

Working radios I will demonstrate: Radiola, early Airline, Crosley, Zenith battery radio.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/events/yesterdays-festival

Jeff

Pictures from last year.
Attachment:
IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg [ 153.42 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg [ 221.26 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]

Last edited by jrehkopf on Jan Sat 12, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Yesterdays Festival, Florida Goldhead Branch Radio Displ
PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 7:41 pm 

That looks really neat, but where the heck is Keystone Heights?
Obviously nowhere near Sarasota.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 7:44 pm 

Keystone Heights is in the northern part of Florida, about an hour and a half west from Jacksonville.

I would go if there were radios for sale, but not for a display

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 8:11 pm 

I wouldn't go for a display either, but it's really nice to know that such displays are taking place. I'm sure the public will love it, especially if it's in a controlled environment where people can listen to them. That can gather a LOT of attention!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 9:34 pm 

Yes, this is not primarily a sales event, though many craftspeople and others are selling things. It is only me, not a club event.

For sure, they are always surprised when the radio actually speaks, great fun. Doing this mostly to show off how fun these old radios can be, maybe create some interest.

Lots of comments starting "My (relative of some kind) had one of those when I was ..."

Plan to bring:
Working radios - Radiola AR 812; Radiola 20; Airline radios (4 of them, 1923 to 1926); Radak R-4, Zenith 4V31, AK 35, AK 33.
Display radios - Home-brew crystal radio; extremely home-brew 1 tube radio.

That will fill up my table, I think.

Jeff

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 10:47 pm 

Looks like you have a nice selection to show off. I would love to see all that old stuff up close, but way to far for me also.

Freeman

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 11:06 pm 

I've done this a couple of times, and the response has been interesting. I know in one or two cases, the PUBLIC loved it, but the people in charge acted annoyed that I was there for some reason. Exactly once I really hit a home run, quite by surprise. This was at a nearby "plantation" which is now part of a public park. There was some sort of festival where vendors had tents set up outside, and also had tables set inside the main house. At the last minute I was told there's no space with the other vendors, and they put me upstairs -- all by myself! Uh, remember THEY asked ME to bring the display! Okay, it was bad enough that I had to trek 15 times across the parking lot, carrying big heavy radios and display items, but then I had to carry this stuff up a flight of stairs where nobody would see me anyway! BUT -- I didn't complain, and went ahead with it. Turned out to be fantastic! I had a CD player and an AMT-3000 (would probably use a laptop now, but this was then) and a CD recorded with old time radio programming, complete with station breaks and commercials. I typed up a schedule and put it on display -- 2:00 Your Hit Parade, 2:30 The Lone Ranger, etc. I took turns with radios, having one or two on all the time. With a moderate volume, somehow the acoustics of the house were such that anyone entering the house was immediately met with hearing the radios upstairs. Plus, I could easily see who was coming up the stairs -- ensuring they don't do stupid things like steal knobs. The sound was very intriguing, and EVERYBODY came up the stairs to be rewarded with a big display of radios, spread out as I had plenty of room. Nest thing you know, people were telling others outside about the radio display, and I heard constant comments of "Oh, HERE'S the radio display they were telling us about!" To call it a hit was an understatement!

If I had the opportunity to do it again, and be able to plan, I'd like to take my turntable and a handful of radio transcriptions with me, so people can listen to OTR right off the disks!

Last edited by Gary Tayman on Jan Sat 12, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 12, 2019 11:08 pm 

@Jeff: Date? For the lazy among us who don't click the linky.

Looks like fun. Do any kids take an interest?
-Ed

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 12:01 am 

Sorry, date is Jan 26, 8 to 4.

Kids seemed interested not in the three dialers or the big RCA but more, the crystal radio and the small 1 tube homebrew. When dad told them it was a “homemade radio” they always looked very closely and I could tell they wanted to touch it. A couple came back many times to look at the homemade radio. Are they making things in school? Interesting.

Some were interested when I let them put on the phones and try tuning the Radak R4.

And everyone looked and wanted the 4 tube Zenith, because it is so pretty, so it gets a return appearance this year.

I also had a fully original Silvertone metal box neutrodyne, original finish inside and out, plays excellent, almost no interest al all.

Jeff

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 2:25 am 

I myself would fret over the possibility that every other person would ask "Can it get FM?" then wander off quickly.

Post subject: Re: Yesterdays Festival, FL Goldhead Branch Radio Display Ja
PostPosted: Jan Sun 27, 2019 8:53 pm 

UPDATE

Had a nice day, maybe 120 people came by to look and chat. Had the Zenith 4V31 playing a UF basketball game for bait.

Here are a couple of photos.
Attachment:
File comment: A lineup of Ward's Airline radios, 1923 to 1926.
DSC03367.JPG
DSC03367.JPG [ 205.02 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]

Attachment:
DSC03366.JPG
DSC03366.JPG [ 201.64 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]

Wazz, I did get some questions about FM, but then also they asked "why" no FM; most were interested to get a short explanation of the state of broadcasting at the time.

I had to explain at least 15 times what the headphones were and what they were for.

Again, the younger folks, maybe 13 to 25 year olds (male AND female) seemed most interested in the homemade radio over the others.

Jeff