Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 10, 2019 7:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dayton Hamvention swap meet start time May 2019
PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 9:33 pm 

I'm thinking of attending the Dayton Hamfest for the first time and wondering about the swap meet start time. I've been told that the "official" start time is 9:00 Friday morning but for some things there's an official and an actual start time. My question is - are buyers prohibited from entering before 9:00 or are they actually allowed to enter earlier?

-Tony

Post subject: Re: Dayton Hamvention swap meet start time
PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 1:40 am 

If you have a flea market space you can get in much earlier and also start cherry picking from other vendors that are set up. Everyone else will not be let in till the official start, is my experience. They even delayed that alot of times at HARA arena, because "the fire marshall has not completed his inspection" type of excuses. So I would not go there expecting to get in early. In all the decades I have been there, not happening. I am not selling this year so I get to wait with the sweating grumbling masses like you and then get crushed at the bottlenecks. I guarantee some fine cherries will be picked long before you are let in. That's the way it goes. And beware of the weather and plan accordingly unless you want to be miserable. Fry or drown are your usual two choices but in the past there was also freeze.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 1:51 am 

Thanks for the response.

I kind of figured that's the way it would be but thought I'd throw out the question "just in case".

I've been checking the forecast and so far it looks like it might be fairly pleasant (dry and warm) on Friday but that can certainly change in the next 10 days...

Approx what time to the "sweating grumbling masses" start to congregate?

-Tony

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 2:48 am 

Well beforehand as people are lining up to get their tickets and want to be first inside. Maybe moreso on Saturday. I hope it is dry enough that the parking areas are not mucky. I despise going out there and then driving home in a muddy car. Used to be dry parking at the old place for a fee. Not unlimited so you had to arrive early. I am not sure where the offsite parking is and then you ride a bus or something. Not so great for me, if you are buying stuff and lugging a load around all day. I would recommend you visit the website about parking and just about everything else. As I get older it starts to feel too big of a deal, like spending all day at a state fair or something.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 3:22 am 

In the past, "early" sales have been a source of bad feelings at the Albuquerque Hamfests. Most of the recent Hamfests have had stipulations that there would be absolutely NO sales before the set time. Many "buyers" would sneak in both the inside and outside selling areas by paying for a selling spot, then scrounge all the goodies while the real sellers were setting up; most buyers would say they would come back later to pick up. Kind of obvious when they were seen later hauling out some nice equipment.

To be honest, I have brought a few items to sell with the knowledge that I would be getting a better location for both buying and selling. Not against the rules, and also a good way to save my back and clean out the garage.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 1:00 pm 

Some vendors do not show up early if they already have their stuff out, such as on Saturday morning. People are also busy unloading, etc. etc. and not all the stuff is out to sell or they are not ready to sell right away, unless some nut is waving a big wad of cash and it seems profitable without haggling. The people inside have already spent a substantial chunk of money to get a spot, Dayton has to be easily the most expensive flea market in the world for hams. Not many people would consider paying that sum to get in early, only, as being economical. Some people have tried just buying a flea market spot to use as accessible premium parking, with early buying as a perk. I think you are required to at least make a gesture of looking like you are selling something. I cannot say I found most of my bargains before 9 in the flea market. Have bought a few items at that time but people are maybe not ready to sell yet anyway. But if you do see something that you think you want, and the price is not unreasonable or is a super bargain, look at the item very closely and ask questions. But buy it then. If you think it will still be there when you make up your mind later, odds against you. The sorts of things seen there vary from year to year, depending on who died, surplus market, etc. so there is no way to guarantee anything you want being there. And nowadays, some sellers suffer from ebay pricing syndrome. You got buyers and sellers referencing stuff online on the phones, so some fools will not come off a high price and some buyers will spend too much based on what they think they see online.

PostPosted: May Mon 13, 2019 6:48 pm 

I usually get there a little before the start time, maybe 20-30 minutes, but they won't let anyone in until 9. I went there on Saturday last year and don't recall any kind of a mad stampede to get into the flea market area once they opened the gates.

Post subject: Dayton Hamvention swap meet start time
PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 4:39 am 

thanks Dennis for organising.

is it possible to have a 2nd southside meeting point to save some of us to drive north then south again?

maybe the Macca at Springwood or something? 9:30 meet so when you guys arrive, we can follow.

thanks

PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

There needs to be a date added to the topic title, please.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 9:07 pm 

Well, the original post was about the 2019 Dayton Hamvention which was in May, but I'm not sure what to make of the comment before yours, Alan.

Possibly a mistake? I'm not sure. The location isn't anything I'm familiar with in the Dayton or Xenia area, and the Hamvention was over 3 months ago.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!