Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 1:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What did YOU get at the Hamvention?
PostPosted: May Sun 19, 2019 2:41 pm 

Well Xenia is not primarily antique radios but plenty of them show their faces at the event. I bought some modern ham radio gear but the sirens call of antiques overwhelmed my better judgment once again. So I spotted a Westinghouse RC (like RA/DA) and it was immaculate looking. Seller said it worked. Said it was from the Harry Houck estate and had some notes inside from him. 150.00. Sorry, i knew these in nice shape are not something you can get just anywhere. Came home with me. Strained back getting it out. Later I saw a S-40B in decent condition but needing a new RF control pot due to shaft cut off? Decent shape otherwise. 15$. It actually works somewhat and will be the usual recap and alignment. And I also tested my back getting that thing out. So I got rid of some stuff this week but then went right back to fill the empty spaces. GO figure. Weather was warm muggy but decent. I did not get rained on Friday or Sat. Actually got too much sun! And just enough fun.

Post subject: Re: What did YOU get at the Hamvention?
PostPosted: May Mon 20, 2019 1:35 am 

Maybe I will make the trip next year. How are the new accommodations working out?

PostPosted: May Mon 20, 2019 2:09 am 

Haven't gone the last two years, but the local news warns its been really muddy... I'd be more interested in knowing how the offsite parking/shuttling is working out.. (?)

PostPosted: May Mon 20, 2019 2:39 am 

wazz wrote:
Well Xenia is not primarily antique radios but plenty of them show their faces at the event. I bought some modern ham radio gear but the sirens call of antiques overwhelmed my better judgment once again. So I spotted a Westinghouse RC (like RA/DA) and it was immaculate looking. Seller said it worked. Said it was from the Harry Houck estate and had some notes inside from him. 150.00. Sorry, i knew these in nice shape are not something you can get just anywhere. Came home with me. Strained back getting it out. Later I saw a S-40B in decent condition but needing a new RF control pot due to shaft cut off? Decent shape otherwise. 15$. It actually works somewhat and will be the usual recap and alignment. And I also tested my back getting that thing out. So I got rid of some stuff this week but then went right back to fill the empty spaces. GO figure. Weather was warm muggy but decent. I did not get rained on Friday or Sat. Actually got too much sun! And just enough fun.

This was my first time at Hamvention (and possibly my last as it's a 24 hour round trip for me by car) and I was glad that I went.

I bought a P series National HRO from the same vendor as your RC which was also from the Harry Houck estate. Included were a National speaker, 697 power supply and 9 coils. I recapped the power supply this morning, brought the receiver up on the variac and it's working quite well.

That was my lone purchase (besides french fries and water) and I was thrilled. I've been hoping to find a pre-war HRO and Hamvention came through for me.

PostPosted: May Mon 20, 2019 1:00 pm 

Not recently, but in 1993. Back then, I was buying VCRs, among other stuff.
Too far for me to go again, but it was fun!
Attachment:
pix1182.jpg
pix1182.jpg [ 52.9 KiB | Viewed 639 times ]

Bob

PostPosted: May Mon 20, 2019 1:37 pm 

That RC just thrills me everytime I look at it. Finding a nearly 100 year old radio looking like it was made recently is just great. I also bought a 50s vintage tube Geiger counter from him as a gift for someone that is into those. Yes, I did have one downer. I got a modern ham radio that I was assured worked. But it has to go back to the service center as it is flaked out. Got the S-41B on the bench doing some preliminaries and got a pot and knob for the RF control to put in. The onsite parking was decent on Saturday, I went off site on Friday and endured a rough ride in smelly cramped school buses. I was afraid the grassy areas would be muck but there was little of that by Sat. OF course I still have to fight the issue of "eyes bigger than wallet and shelves" issue each time. But I got to say I spent almost nothing for the first few hours.

PostPosted: May Mon 20, 2019 3:10 pm 

I didn't plan on going to Hamvention this year as I spent enough money at Kutztown and have a big expensive project going on with my home.

Two friends were coming down for Hamvention. One from Minneapolis, the other from Chicago. They had a campsite at Caesar Creek, so I went to visit them Friday evening. They asked if i would be going Saturday, and I told them no, I don't need to spend the money, heck I don't even have a ticket.

One of them went into their camper and brought back and gave me an envelope with a ticket inside.

OK, I'll go :D

I only spent 4 hours Saturday walking the flea market and controlled myself as I parked in town and rode a bus to the fairgrounds, therefore I couldn't buy a boat anchor! :lol:

I ended up with this Polycomm CB, a bag of tubes and of all things, a leaf blower!

This was the first time I've been to Hamvestion since the move away from Hara Arena. I walked the flea market in less than 4 hours.
I would have NEVER been able to do that at Hara. either the outdoor flea market has shrunk or I missed part of it. i only saw the area around the track and a few rows next to the buildings. I may have missed half of it, but I tend to think I saw it all. I only went into one building. The Hertz building to pick up a CD called "Linux in the Hamshack"

And yes, i got the token Hamvention sunburn...

I enjoyed what I did even though I had no plans to go. :D

-Steve

Attachments:
polycommcb.jpg
polycommcb.jpg [ 164.78 KiB | Viewed 615 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 6:20 pm 

Steve, we must have walked right past each other on Saturday morning in the flea market! I agree that the flea market shrunk a little this year. I also didn't see Gary Schneider.

I rode up in a group with 5 of my friends from Louisville. I was mostly buying tubes and parts with my find of the day was a NOS RCA 2A3/VT-95 for $35. I also picked up several books for my library. On the way home we stopped by the Voice of America Museum before grabbing a late dinner in Cincinnati.

No mud this year, but it sure was warm and sunny out. I must have drank a gallon of water just walking around the flea market. We always park at Xenia High School and take a shuttle over. There wasn't any traffic for us and the shuttle ride didn't take very long. The food court was excellent with many options to choose from. Overall it was a fun day.

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 7:24 pm 

Unfortunately, Gary wasn't there. I talked with Jim Kreuzer who was manning the booth Gary would have been at if he was there. Jim happened to be on the phone with Gary when I stopped by and mentioned he was under the weather. He did have some of Gary's stuff to sell.

I hope Gary is ok.

Sorry i missed you Jeremy, I was walking around between 11 and 3 as I recall before heading out.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!