Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 13, 2019 3:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WARCI Antique Radio Swap June 2nd in Milwaukee Wisconsin
PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 5:11 pm 

Attachment:
2019-06-02 WARCI flyer small.jpg
2019-06-02 WARCI flyer small.jpg [ 90.83 KiB | Viewed 1640 times ]

Wisconsin Antique Radio Club Swap Meet
http://warci.org/

General Meet Information
There is no charge for admission!

Doors open at 8:00 AM for vendor setup. The flea market starts at 8:00 AM, announcements are held at 10:30 AM followed by the donation auction and free pizza (usually around 11:00). Each meet will vary slightly, so check out the monthly flyer for more information!

As typical of most swap meets, the items are for sale by individual collectors, and most are one-of-a-kind. So for best selection (and the best deals), BE EARLY! But please stay around and get to meet some of the club members. These swap meets are a great way to connect with other local collectors that share your interests. By socializing at the meets you can find others that may have what you are looking for, radios & parts, people that can service your radios, and you can make some good friends.

Swap meet spaces are $7 for WARCI members, and $10 for non-members. Tables will be provided for indoor use only and are first-come, first-serve.

Address:
The Terminal, 5917 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53207

Post subject: Re: WARCI Antique Radio Swap June 2nd in Milwaukee Wisconsin
PostPosted: May Sun 19, 2019 4:51 pm 

Two weeks away, start planning on what you are bringing to sell!

PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 9:50 pm 

I hope the weather is good. I would like to bring more radios than usual since I missed 2 other recent swapfests. But, I become lazy if there is a chance for bad weather.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 2:45 pm 

One week away!

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 10:52 pm 

The forecast is looking good. On Saturday morning if it still looks good I'll start planning how to fit the most radios in my vehicle for Sunday's sale. I missed 2 swaps and want to catch up.

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 10:59 pm 

Yes, looking good!

Attachment:
MKE.jpg
MKE.jpg [ 66.55 KiB | Viewed 1481 times ]

PostPosted: May Fri 31, 2019 7:12 pm 

Going to load my car tomorrow and be ready for some nice weather finally!

PostPosted: May Fri 31, 2019 9:16 pm 

Hopefully I can find the parts to assemble the blue sun shield on the back of my truck again. Every year I tell myself to make a better one because this bare-bones is falling apart. "one of these days Ma" as Pa Kettle used to say.

PostPosted: May Fri 31, 2019 10:52 pm 

forumuser wrote:
Hopefully I can find the parts to assemble the blue sun shield on the back of my truck again. Every year I tell myself to make a better one because this bare-bones is falling apart. "one of these days Ma" as Pa Kettle used to say.

Good idea, I'll have to see if I can rig one up tomorrow. Maybe also find my custom seat cushion for sitting in the doorway of the van.

At least it will be cool Sunday morning, not like the 87 degrees we have right now here in Appleton. Thankfully the humidity is low today, and it's breezy. Windows are all open, my home AC died last summer.

PostPosted: May Fri 31, 2019 11:04 pm 

Look for the new seller setup location changes we tried last fall. The front seller lot had been filling up early during several meets, and the overflow sellers got bumped into the back yard. To allow more seller area, and to keep buyers from having to drive through the seller area to park, we reversed the setup. Sellers are in back, buyers park up front by the Landmark Bar.

So sellers please drive in past the gates to setup, and buyers please park in the front lot.

Info from the club website is copied below.

Attachment:
Landmark layout 800 wide.jpg
Landmark layout 800 wide.jpg [ 229.21 KiB | Viewed 1455 times ]

Attention: New Swap Meet Layout!

Due to our own success, the size of our Milwaukee swap meet continues to grow! As a result, the front lot at The Landmark has become crowded. After some close calls last year (cars vs. radios or people) with our usual layout, the WARCI Board has decided that for all 2019 meets at The Landmark the swap meet area will be moved to the West of the gates (indicated in red below). Please be advised of the following rules which apply to EVERYONE:

The gates are locked overnight and will open at 8AM. Sellers may begin setting up at 8AM or whenever the gates open.
The front lot (marked in yellow) is for parking for the general public. For everyone’s safety, selling will no longer be permitted in the yellow area.
If you are selling, you may continue to park your car in the blue swap area next to your items.
Restrooms, pizza, and bar services will continue to be held in The Landmark building as usual.
If the weather is unfavorable (cold, rain, or snow), our meet will be held inside the Terminal building, and general parking will shift to the west of the gates (surrounding the Terminal), per usual.
These new rules are for everyone’s safety. Please help WARCI by following these new guidelines! Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvement.

PostPosted: May Fri 31, 2019 11:26 pm 

I wonder if the seller parking is just along the outside border or are they going to try and squeeze some in the middle too. One good thing is more sellers will be able to have their backs to the sun. Me included.

quote: " Sellers may begin setting up at 8AM or whenever the gates open." People are used to getting there way before 8am. If I show up at 8am and there are a bunch of people already set up to buy and sell I'll be ticked off. Or if I get there way early and have to sit around til 8 will be no fun either. I say pick a time and stick to it. (within a 5 minute window)

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 12:51 am 

Firstly, let me start by stating that I am a Board Member of WARCI, and have been associated with this club from it's beginning. All the comments I make below are not official club policy. They are my understanding and views of how some things operate within our club. I have attended hundreds of radio meets from various clubs over the last 35+ years, so I am pretty familiar with how our WARCI club operates our swap meets, as well as how many other clubs operate theirs. Many things have changed over the years, this club and the antique radio hobby are evolving things, and both will undoubtedly go through many more changes in the future.

forumuser wrote:
I wonder if the seller parking is just along the outside border or are they going to try and squeeze some in the middle too. One good thing is more sellers will be able to have their backs to the sun. Me included.

The selling area for this week's event is the entire area within the blue stripes in the picture. If it fills, it can be expanded. The reason it is near the gates (red area) and not directly alongside the Terminal building is because we are using the front building (Landmark) for this meet for it's bathrooms and bar, and not the rear Terminal building. We usually only use the Terminal when weather is iffy, and then we can let people set up indoors if need be. There is no indoor selling planned for this Sunday's meet. This will be an outdoor only meet, due to the clear forecast. We make this decision with Joe's approval in the days just before the event, once we have a good idea of what the actual weather will be. When there is rain or other inclement weather likely, we plan to use the back building and sellers can set up inside and/or outside near the doors to the Terminal building.

forumuser wrote:
quote: " Sellers may begin setting up at 8AM or whenever the gates open." People are used to getting there way before 8am. If I show up at 8am and there are a bunch of people already set up to buy and sell I'll be ticked off. Or if I get there way early and have to sit around til 8 will be no fun either. I say pick a time and stick to it. (within a 5 minute window)

You may be ticked off. (Hope not.)

Let me give you an idea of what happens here, and why the 8AM rule is not strictly enforced. Tradition at radio swap meets, dating back long before our club was formed, was the "early bird got the worm". Sellers at large antique radio swap meets were often setting up their displays the day before the official swap. This was often because of the vast quantity of stuff many sellers used to bring along. Buyers often snuck in early during the vendor setup times to get first dibs on the good stuff. This has always lead to complaints from some people that felt slighted. But this was, as I said, tradition. It was well known through all types of hobby events (not just antique radio events) that to find the best treasures, you have to show up early. Many of our buyers and sellers, which include a lot of folks that aren't club members, still know from past experience that if you aren't there when the stuff starts getting pulled from the vehicles to be put on display you will miss out.

So here is how our club deals with it. We encourage buyers to show up after the official start time, that currently is no earlier than 8AM. But without a secure area and people to stand guard we can't really enforce it. Our club volunteers and board members also wish to be able to set up their displays, so we can't also be free to be enforcers. And there is a recognized need for sellers to get in before the buyers, to have some undisturbed time to find a selling space and start to set up their wares. Many of the sellers will sometimes want to set up a large display, which can take considerable time and effort. In the past I have even hauled my trailer and set up a display as large as 10 6-foot tables of merchandise. So if sellers come early to try to get set up, they are still met with buyers (and other sellers) trying to get deals from them before the scheduled start time. We decided that whenever Joe is up and has the gates open (it is his property after all), sellers can enter to start to set up. If early buyers come in to roam around and start buying stuff we aren't going to act like cops and throw them out or ban them from our meets. We also aren't going to try to enforce punishments against sellers that sell before the start time. We want to be a friendly club, and welcome all buyers and sellers of items related to our hobby. They just have to be understanding that this is not a business in a brick and mortar building, with hours set in stone. It is what it is, and we try to make the best of it for the majority, even though some people feel slighted at times. At least for our meets at Joe's location, we will not be strictly enforcing start times.

We've also all seen the other end of the meet schedule. Some sellers pack up to leave by 9AM, even though we advertise the event schedule as 8AM to 11AM. Many members and non-members show up later in the morning to find very few sellers still set up. We will also not enforce sellers to stay set up until 11AM before packing up. Many are sold out (or close to sold out) of merchandise before 11AM or have other things they need to do on their Sundays. Again, this points to the early bird getting the worm. If you show up later in the morning you won't have the variety of stuff that was available earlier in the day. Part of the reason why we have raffles, the donation auction, and pizza (or other snacks) near the end of the meet is to encourage people (especially sellers) to stay until the scheduled end so that there is something for people to come and see if they arrive later in the morning.

Now if we had enough volunteers and a manageable location, I personally would love to see the building or outside selling area open to only sellers from 6AM to 8AM. That would leave plenty of time for sellers with large displays to come in earlier to set up, while other sellers with smaller displays would come in just prior to 8AM. And then at 8AM the buyers would be allowed to enter and join the fray. Right now we just don't have that option.

Now with all that said, it is my understanding that for this particular Sunday (6/2/2019) the gates will be open before 8AM. I plan to be there early to reserve space to set up the tables for the WARCI club itself (clothing sales/memberships/donation auction/etc.) well before the 8AM start time. I will also be greeting people and trying to guide both buyers and sellers to the appropriate parking areas.

Okay, so if you've all followed along, please remember as I said earlier, these are my views and interpretations of how some aspects of the WARCI swap meets are decided upon. If anyone has useful suggestions or want to have some input into how the club or our events run, please let the Board members know by either talking specifically with them or by attending our Board meetings (open to all) which occur after most of our Landmark/Terminal building events. We'd be glad to have more input and volunteers to keep our club welcoming for all, even if it does appear there will have to be some compromises.

Jim Menning (WISCOJIM)

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 1:42 am 

You could have kept it short. I've been attending swapfests for over 40 years ( holy cow am I that old? ) and this one for about 10 years and I'm aware of the reasons for things you stated.
The main thing I took from your post is when you said the 8am opening time is not strictly enforced. Thats all I needed to know. Otherwise I would have adhered to what the flyer says and showed up to sell at 8am and found the swap already in full swing with the best spots taken up.

Concerning the parking for sellers. What I attempted to ask was if the vehicles within the blue seller's border will be parking ONLY along the border or if another row of cars will be parking in the middle of that area.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 2:17 am 

forumuser wrote:
Concerning the parking for sellers. What I attempted to ask was if the vehicles within the blue seller's border will be parking ONLY along the border or if another row of cars will be parking in the middle of that area.

Sellers may park their cars anywhere in the blue area. Parking locations for sellers will not be assigned like we do at the Madison meets. The only rule being enforced tomorrow is that if you're not selling something, we ask that you park your car in the yellow 'Public Parking' area to the East of the gate.

Unfortunately, I had planned that the gate be locked until 8AM but I found out this morning that this will not be the case. I do not own the property so this was not my decision. I will try to make that happen for July onwards. Once we get a few meets under our belt with the new configuration, I hope that this will become common knowledge and there will be no need for the detailed diagrams.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 2:37 am 

The reason I'm asking about parking is that there is a possibility that if a 3rd row of cars is allowed to sneak in the middle it could be troublesome to swing in and out of there. In the pic I attached it looks like plenty of room to manuvere but that pic doesn't include any tables behind each vehicle and I cut and pasted in all cars when there may be longer trucks, vans or trailer. I can't say for sure but it could be tricky getting in or out of a space and thats what you are trying to avoid by moving to this part of the lot. Added to that is people won't be lining up perfectly so even more room is needed to get in and out

Attachments:
parking lot.jpg
parking lot.jpg [ 104.93 KiB | Viewed 1446 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 2:46 am 

forumuser wrote:
The reason I'm asking about parking is that there is a possibility that if a 3rd row of cars is allowed to sneak in the middle it could be troublesome to swing in and out of there. In the pic I attached it looks like plenty of room to manuvere but that pic doesn't include any tables behind each vehicle and I cut and pasted in all cars when there may be longer trucks, vans or trailer. I can't say for sure but it could be tricky getting in or out of a space and thats what you are trying to avoid by moving to this part of the lot. Added to that is people won't be lining up perfectly so even more room is needed to get in and out

Thank you for explaining your concern. The saving grace for this layout is that the western boundary of this blue box is arbitrary - so if the swap meet needs more space, the last row can move further West, or overflow into the area on the South side of the Terminal building if need be.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 2:51 am 

It shouldn't be necessary to expand although that is a good backup plan. My rough count of lining cars up only along the outside edge is 35-40 depending on how close they are spaced. That number of course will be slightly lower when consider some larger vehicle will show up. I would encourage the sellers to line the border when possible.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 2:16 pm 

Beautiful weather and a good turnout! I think that the new setup worked out well!

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 2:21 pm 

Yes it did. I had good sales to boot.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 4:56 am 

Pictures are now up on the WARCI website. http://warci.org/

Mark your calendars, we're doing it again July 7th.