Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 20, 2019 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AWA 5 day conference - Aug. 13-17 Call for experts
PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 4:19 pm 

AWA 5 day conference - Aug. 13-17 Call for experts

A full bill of activities: http://www.antiquewireless.org/2019-ann ... ntion.html

There is a Thursday evening Moonlight Restoration Forum - I'd very much like to have
any folks that would like to tell us about your restoration/conservation/documentation
activities associated with vintage electronics. Would also be a great venue to talk about
your activities at recreating vintage equipment.

Just e-mail me at: kd4hsh@carolina.rr.com I'll be glad to assist...

Robert Lozier

Post subject: Re: AWA 5 day conference - Aug. 13-17 Call for experts
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 11:14 pm 

The Moonlight Restoration Forum sounds like fun!

I noticed several interesting items in the auction (Saturday 17 AUG). Seems worthwhile.

73 Dean NW2K

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 6:24 pm 

It would be interesting to get a report on the status/condition of the flea market. Once upon a time this was the greatest flea market of all times, but no longer. It then dwindled to the point that it was not worth attending if that's what you were looking for. So I am curious if it has recovered or improved to any degree.

I really would like to know how many were set up there and selling - a truly accurate account.

I realize that there is a lot more to this convention, but the flea market was a very major component for a lot of people.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 22, 2019 4:40 pm 

I'd be quite curious also to know how the AWA flea market has fared. I attended
a lot in the 80's and it was quite an event. I still remember getting there about
sunrise, and just watching the crowd run from car to car with flashlights searching
for bargains, and mobbing the new sellers coming in. What a circus! A lot of folks,
both buyers and sellers were done at 7:30AM.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 23, 2019 1:28 pm 

Getting information about what transpires at the AWA convention is practically impossible. In my opinion they are getting more elite and private all the time. I have been trying to get a response from a question but no answers. They need a publicity chairman.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 24, 2019 7:15 pm 

Merrill Bancroft wrote:
Getting information about what transpires at the AWA convention is practically impossible. In my opinion they are getting more elite and private all the time. I have been trying to get a response from a question but no answers. They need a publicity chairman.

Merrill, please PM me your questions and I will make sure that it gets to the correct person at AWA for response. Alternatively, please email me here: NW2K@arrl.net

Are you not receiving a response via US mail, phone calls, and/or email correspondence?

AWA has been using its website, journals, review and Facebook to disseminate information. Here is a link to the website, which is up to date and loaded with good information:

http://www.antiquewireless.org/

Thank you, Dean

PostPosted: Aug Sun 25, 2019 10:19 pm 

Let's try this again. Has anyone attended the AWA convention that gave give a report on the convention, especially the Flea Market? Usually we get a post mortem on what happens at the various meets and it is a great barometer and helps us to keep abreast of activities and decide which ones to attend.

Surely someone out there has gone and can give a report and post a reply. We used to get nice reports on this activity and I miss those.

Thanks,

Joe

PostPosted: Aug Sun 25, 2019 11:14 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
It was likely SO bad none of the faithful want to report it.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 26, 2019 3:10 am 

I was not there but I can report that I won the Houck – Doc – award for my documentation of Rhode Island radio history! I didn't even know I was up for it and only found out on the AWA Facbook page that I won!

Len

PostPosted: Aug Mon 26, 2019 4:27 pm 

Len congratulations! That is a prestigious award and you can be proud.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 26, 2019 4:53 pm 

I attended the AWA Conference this year. Overall, attendance was down. Presentations were excellent as always. The book fare was good - with one new vendor. Flea market, on the other hand, was smaller. Perhaps less than 20 vendors.

The conference center (hotel) is being remodeled. The lobby has been completely redone. The North Wing has had the hallways repainted and new carpeting. I assume (?) more work is to be done with this.

I’ve been attending the conference since the late 90’s - when the flea market was in full swing, with vendors lined up along the free-way. I feel that will never return. I missed a few years after the AWA changed the conference dates. I started coming back after I retired in 2008. The AWA seemed to have shifted to support if their museum.

The museum itself is world-class, a must see. They continue to expand and improve it.

That’s my personal take on the conference for what it’s worth. Will I continue to attend? Probably.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 26, 2019 5:05 pm 

Joezenithman wrote:
Len congratulations! That is a prestigious award and you can be proud.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 26, 2019 11:51 pm 

Congratulations Len. Anyone who has seen your site and the amount of research you have been doing has to believe you deserved it.
Merrill

PostPosted: Aug Wed 28, 2019 5:32 pm 

This has been posted, with pictures, on AWA's Facebook page:

--------
The Annual AWA Convention was held August 13 to 17, 2019 with 164 guests attending. This was just about the same number as last year. Based on the positive comments received, the attendees had a wonderful time. Imagine enjoying 4 ½ days of great company talking “communications”, 16 wonderful and informative presentations over 3 days, great food events every day, a book sale, a small but active flea market, contest entries that were spectacular including a live audio demonstration, and a very large auction. The flea market continues to be small (EBay continues to reduce the number of sellers at most multi-day flea markets), but I am told there were bargains to be had. The auction this year was very large totaling nearly $15,000 in sales for almost 400 lots.

The 2020 AWA Annual Convention will be held August 11 to 15, 2020 with the theme “The Evolution of Ham Radio”. It is not too early to put those dates on your calendar.
-------

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2019 10:45 pm 

Thanks for a report on the convention. I never thought to look on Facebook.