Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 13, 2021 8:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WARCI Announces 2021 Swap Meet Dates
PostPosted: Mar Sat 06, 2021 6:27 pm 

The 2021 Wisconsin Antique Radio Club swap meet calendar has been decided! We've reduced our schedule to 5 swap meets in hopes of providing a realistic timeline for the latter portion of the year. The meet dates are as follows:

Attachment:
warci_2021_meets.png
warci_2021_meets.png [ 72.97 KiB | Viewed 1375 times ]

To maintain our regular meet schedule, WARCI must increase its income to meet our projected future expenses. For 2021 and beyond, WARCI board approved the following measures effective November 16th, 2020:

• Raise WARCI Dues to $18/year: WARCI’s annual dues have been held low for many years. Dues started out at $12 in 1997 and have been $15 going as far back as 2008. This minor increase in annual dues collected in 2021 and beyond will generate additional income for WARCI while still keeping us at an attractive rate compared to other organizations.
  • Membership Required to Sell: By requiring that all sellers be members, WARCI will generate additional income and encourage new (and hopefully repeat!) membership. We will encourage new membership by offering the first table free to all new members (renewals excluded).
  • Increase Seller Fees to $10: To simplify fee collection, WARCI is increasing seller fees for 2021 and beyond to $10. WARCI prefers this fee increase over charging per-table as the latter discourages sellers who set up large displays.
  • Charging Sellers at September Swap Meet: When the WARCI “Oktoberfest” auction debuted in 2011, the proceeds generated from the auction were enough to offset the income generated by seller fees, which were waived in subsequent years. Although the WARCI auctions ceased after 2015, we continued to keep the September meet free as a thank you to all of our regular sellers. As a result, the September meet has become one of WARCI’s largest. Unfortunately, it is also one of WARCI’s largest expenses. Reinstating fees for this meet will help generate additional income for the club.

In addition, WARCI has announced the following action plan for 2020 meets:
Attachment:
warci_covid_plan.png
warci_covid_plan.png [ 39.62 KiB | Viewed 1375 times ]

WARCI looks forward to seeing you in-person in 2021!

Post subject: Re: WARCI Announces 2021 Swap Meet Dates
PostPosted: Mar Sat 06, 2021 6:47 pm 

Yaay!

PostPosted: Mar Sun 07, 2021 4:56 am 

Very happy news to see meets back on the schedule for 2021....a step towards some semblance of normalcy. I'm 100% in favor of all of the precautions being implemented. Plus being outdoors allows for the spacing out of vendors to reduce crowd congestion. The fee increases are reasonable and understandable, and I'm happy to see that you now have to be a member in order to be a vendor. This discourages those who have no interest in the hobby and are only "in it for the money". We've all seen the "one and done" vendors who have big ideas of what their treasures are worth and when they fail to sell anything you never see them again.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 07, 2021 8:07 pm 

It looks like the big Oak Creek swapfest might happen this year. I hope there are no date overlaps.

I was already paying $10 to sell as a non-member. Now I get to pay an extra $18 to pay $10 to sell in the future. Not thrilled about that but when there is nowhere else to sell from... On the bright side, 4 of the swaps are a 15 minute drive from my house and its good to have any venue to sell again.

Any idea which area and how much area is being given at New Berlin? I imagine turnout will be big if the weather is good and I'm guessing we may be sharing with the weekend volleyball league.

Attachments:
swap parking.jpg
swap parking.jpg [ 169 KiB | Viewed 1337 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2021 12:43 am 

I hope it works out for everyone!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 13, 2021 1:45 am 

I had to scrap my pickup truck a couple of months ago so I won't have my cool blue tarp cover on the back to give me shade. Plus I have no room for my 6 foot long table anymore. I'm going to be selling boatanchor receivers and transmitters and a few snack trays aren't going to work. I'll have to start tugging my beard and give this some hard thought.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 25, 2021 4:01 am 

As I feared. The big Oak Creek swap is happening this year and its the day before the Antique radio swap. July 10th. :cry: I guess thats better than being on the same day but I'm still not thrilled about it.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 1:41 am 

forumuser wrote:
Any idea which area and how much area is being given at New Berlin? I imagine turnout will be big if the weather is good and I'm guessing we may be sharing with the weekend volleyball league.

The designated WARCI swap area is outlined below. The highlighted area of the parking lot is ~65,000 square feet, which is larger than the ~42,000 square feet at a typical Landmark outdoor meet.

Attachment:
WARCI_map_NBAH_sample (1).png
WARCI_map_NBAH_sample (1).png [ 696.16 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]

The Ale House doesn't open until 11am (at the close of our swap meet) so there should be no concerns with other patrons getting in our way.

PostPosted: May Thu 06, 2021 3:42 am 

Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: May Sun 16, 2021 4:34 pm 

Any idea of how the sellers will be parked as far as direction? I ask so I can prepare in advance the appropriate sun shield.

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 5:31 pm 

forumuser wrote:
Any idea of how the sellers will be parked as far as direction? I ask so I can prepare in advance the appropriate sun shield.

The majority of the parking spots face north and south, so I would plan for that. We're planning on having buyers park in the northmost row, with the sellers in the middle and southernmost rows.
We will not be assigning specific parking spots in either area, so if you arrive early you'll have your choice of direction.

Attachment:
WARCI_map_NBAH_parking.png
WARCI_map_NBAH_parking.png [ 363.09 KiB | Viewed 501 times ]

PostPosted: May Mon 17, 2021 10:56 pm 

Hopefully I get there early enough that I can park in the far lower right corner and face west so the sun is at my back. That way an open trunk lid can provide shade for an hour or 2 and then have a clip on umbrella or something for the rest of the time.

PostPosted: May Sat 29, 2021 4:01 pm 

Its Wisconsin and the weather forecast can change 12 times but it looks to be no rain next Saturday for the swapfest. Ugh, a high of 88 and sunny on an asphalt parking lot but it still beats having nothing like last year.