Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 07, 2021 3:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: buying radios at vintage radio meets
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 4:59 am 

If a person were free to travel around the country over the next year off an on, what are the major events where large numbers of radios for restoration are traded and sold? That is, something like the top 5 or 10 events. I am very much removed from this world and wondered what people thought.

Thanks.

Steve
Phoenix

Post subject: Re: buying radios at vintage radio meets
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 5:04 am 

Your best bet might be to look at the scans of past meets that have been posted on the board. I doubt anyone flies all over the country going to every one.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 9:42 am 

There are vendors that sell out of trucks like the food ones. They travel all over take orders plus a line of car and truck specialty parts. They travel all over all year and seem to do pretty well. You can Google swap meets for a particular state and city or a national directory of swap meets for the for the radios you are interested in selling.

billn

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:48 pm 

No, most of us don't fly around to many regions....but there are some meets with common knowledge as being exceptional.

Sheesh.

Have none of you heard of Kutztown ? Or the meet put on by the Antique Radio Club of Illinois ? How about MARC, the Michigan Antique Radio Club ?

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 1:03 pm 

The old "standards" of good shows have changed. Today, there is a huge movement of exhibitor-vendors all looking to pare down their collections. So, any listed show has great buying potential.

Before covid in 2020, I was actually considering loading my SUV and hitting the road to attend more than a few shows. Then, the atmospheric plague changed those traveling "audio troubadour" plans. Now, with the price of gas increasing daily, another cog in the wheel....

Listings for shows are usually hyped here as well as some cool shows listed at arrl.org . Hamfests can be very fruitful, as well. Don't forget the better regional flea markets across the country...
Simple google search of "antique radio shows near me" or "antique flea markets near me" will also turn-out good leads, if u keep ur GPS location on...

Happy searching and happy trails...

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 6:18 pm 

Travelling is just half the problem. You have to get the stuff home.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:47 am 

Since you are in Phoenix, I would suggest the various hamfests; they usually have a few people selling antique radios and lots of people selling parts. Another thing to try is the antique radio club in Phoenix; they have swap meets a few times a year. It won't be like a big show but the traveling distance is appealing.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 7:16 pm 

toxicology wrote:
If a person were free to travel around the country over the next year off an on, what are the major events where large numbers of radios for restoration are traded and sold? That is, something like the top 5 or 10 events. I am very much removed from this world and wondered what people thought.

Thanks.

Steve
Phoenix

Kutztown (Spring and Fall meets)
Dayton Hamvention
Estes Auctions - Numerous large auctions throughout the year, often very high quality collections being sold.

There are numerous smaller antique radio swap meets and ham fests throughout the year. If you were going to take a long road trip I would plan it around the spring Kutztown meet and the Dayton Hamvention since they are only a few weeks apart each May and it would be easy to attend both. Then as you plan your route you could look for smaller meets that take place along the way and plan to attend those. ARRL has an online listing of ham fests.

Bring a van!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 11:59 pm 

Quote:
ARRL has an online listing of ham fests.

But only those that register with ARRL. There are others. Do an internet search for hamfests in your area or wherever you will be.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 5:20 am 

Steve, I think this is the list you want below. Most of the vintage electronics stuff is in the Midwest and North East parts of the USA. The shows I know of and have attended are the first 5 here . These events are organized by clubs, some also have smaller meets throughout the year, so see their sites for updates, especially due to the covid situation. Search Youtube for video tours of these shows. I am not listing Ham radio events here... just vintage electronics. If you are seeking anything in particular, email me, I know a lot of collectors (mostly Michigan, my home, but other locations across the USA as well).

1. Kutztown, PA (May and Sept) the largest of all the vintage electronic events. A wide mixture of stuff, has the most of the earlier radios. http://www.renningers.net has the info and you can see videos of it on Youtube. DVHRC is the host club
Events have been running as usual as they are under two large outdoor pavilions (300'X60'each ).

2. Vintage Electronics Expo (usually late January and July but a fall one is set for this Saturday Oct 2 at the Chelsea, MI, Fairgounds. ...see the posting in this Radio Club events here on ARF) Formerly known as "Extravaganza" and was located for many years in Lansing, MI, then Kalamazoo, MI, its probably the second largest event in the USA. Lots of audio gear and a wide mix of stuff. Also, see Youtube videos. MARC/ MVEC is the host club

3. "RadioFest" in Chicago area , big event is first week of August. Auction on first evening of event is the big feature, flea market the next day outside. Lots of top grade stuff shows up at the auction, held in a hotel in the SW suburbs of Chicago. Hosted by Antique Radio Club of Illinois (ARCI). For years this show was in Elgin, IL, then Willowbrook, then Bollingbrook so old timers may refer to those sites.

4. "Spring in the Carolinas" , Late March, Charlotte, NC. All outdoor flea market, indoor contests and seminars. http://www.cc-awa.org This was a larger show for years, hopefully will rebound next March. At a nice hotel, the Charlotte Airport Sheraton.

5. Mid-Atlantic Antique Radio Club (MAARC) "Fall Fest" is Oct 17 2021. Near Baltimore. This club usually has their largest event in June.

6. New England Vintage Electronics Club, several shows, next one is winter, Brookline New Hampshire.

7. AWA (Antique Wireless Association) has their largest event usually in August but there is one set for Oct 5-9 in Henrietta, NY.

8. SCARS (Southern California Antique Radio Society) has several events each year.

These are all the larger ones I know of.

http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 11:57 pm 

toxicology wrote:

Thanks.

Steve
Phoenix

What kind of sets are you looking for? I have several high end consoles and tabletops, some of which are restored in Kingman, AZ.