Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 16, 2022 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kutztown May 13-14
PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 2:28 am 

Come Friday. Yes, it's pretty much over by noon-1 o'clock. Some folks hang around but I suspect, with rain and T-storms predicted for Sat/Sat afternoon, it'll wind up early.

Larry

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 2:53 am 

What booth numbers are you all occupying?
I'd like to meet some of you. Some of you :lol:

I have
ElliotNess John 314
GeoStep George 444. < is this the "ARF" booth?

I'm easy to spot with my "Smooth Oscillator" shirt. Say hello!

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 2:59 am 

I’m #260

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 3:43 am 

rocketeer wrote:
Come Friday. Yes, it's pretty much over by noon-1 o'clock. Some folks hang around but I suspect, with rain and T-storms predicted for Sat/Sat afternoon, it'll wind up early.

Larry

Do they have a flea market for parts and equipment on Thursday? What time do the tailgaters start sett’ing up on Friday? Or does the bulk of trading start Saturday morning?

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 4:05 am 

Scott wrote:
SkyKing wrote:
I just went to the DVHRC website. $48 for a space at the "show."
So if I rent a table and sell a radio for $48, I've broken even, but I don't have the radio. I've basically given away the radio for free.
No wonder a Philco knob cost me $10 last year!

Are they trying to ruin it for everyone?

Well, Renninger's has overhead and I am not sure you are going to get a venue that would support that many people for less money. I think a table was $40 last time I went as a seller, probably 5 years ago. It wasn't worth it for me as everyone there is so cheap. The guy I went with and myself pretty much ended up giving stuff away and we were not selling junk. A good Tektroniks 575 curve tracer with tubes I think I got $10 for it, a very nice Heathkit capacitor checker I sold for $35 after a member here beat me down from a very reasonable $75. I just wanted stuff gone so I sucked it up and told myself "at least it is going into good hands". I would rather sell on Ebay. I only go to socialize now.

I’m torn which day will be best. I’m looking for deals like tektronix scopes, hp gear, tubes, capacitors etc. (junk box parts).
I can come only one day, and get there only as early as noon. Which day is best for me?

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 10:29 am 

Y2KEDDIE wrote:
This is my first time coming to Kutztown.

I’m planning driving 3-1/2 hours Saturday morning, leaving at 8Am in hopes of arriving at noon.
(I can start earlier). I can’t find a hotel at this time so it’s a one day trip with 7 hours driving.

Someone here said”it’s pretty much over by noon Saturday”, is that the consensus? Maybe I should come Friday ? I’m just looking to buy restock for my junk box, and maybe see some old TV’s and radio’s.

I don’t wish to be disappointed, should I change my plans?

I appreciate your input.

Bad idea IMHO.

If you get there at 11:30 on Saturday morning, you will probably be disappointed. Sellers start packing up by noon on Saturday. Not that they are all gone, but the show is really a Friday event. I wish it was a Saturday event, but for some reason it just isn't.

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 11:32 am 

Y2KEDDIE wrote:
rocketeer wrote:

Larry

Do they have a flea market for parts and equipment on Thursday? What time do the tailgaters start sett’ing up on Friday? Or does the bulk of trading start Saturday morning?

Thursday is dealers only, public gets access on Fri and Sat. This isn't a tailgater type show, it takes place primarily under two huge pavilions with table displays similar to an antiques show. Lots and lots of parts available. Friday the show is pretty well underway by 8 am, maybe sooner. The big day is Friday. Saturday folks are packing up and it's usually, with some exceptions, wrapped up by 12-1pm.

Larry

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 12:34 pm 

Y2KEDDIE wrote:
I’m torn which day will be best. I’m looking for deals like tektronix scopes, hp gear, tubes, capacitors etc. (junk box parts).
I can come only one day, and get there only as early as noon. Which day is best for me?

Tek scopes and HP gear are thin there, but there are usually a few. Hamfests would be better for more modern test equipment, though hamfests are getting scarce. If you want parts, there are plenty.

As I stated above, Friday is the day. If you leave at 4:30 you can get there by 8 which is when it starts hopping. I get there about 8 and honestly, by noon I am ready to head home, though I usually linger about until 2 or so. After 4 hours you have seen everything 3 times and have done some socializing. I have a 2-1/2 hour ride and it is not a bad day because of the 5 hours of driving. Leaving a little early helps me avoid the heavy rush hour traffic on a Friday as I head towards NYC. I leave about 5:30 to 6 on Friday morning.

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 4:52 pm 

Thanks Scott! This is what I was looking for. I’ll be there Friday.
Thanks again,

Ed

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 7:57 pm 

Y2KEDDIE wrote:

We once went on a Saturday at noon. There was one dealer left. It was the airline pilot who brings his daughter and his dog. (I can't remember his name.) I was shocked. People drive really far, I couldn't believe they had all cleared out.

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 8:55 pm 

Early AM on Saturday is hopping, but only for a few hours.

PostPosted: May Thu 12, 2022 9:02 pm 

SkyKing wrote:
It was the airline pilot who brings his daughter and his dog. (I can't remember his name.)
John. Nice guy.

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 1:12 am 

Kutztown was great today, May13th. I enjoyed seeing all the old radios and the extras, etc flea market was great. I’m glad I could make it. It sprinkled rain a little bit on the way home but not bad. It was an easy drive.
Very nice facilities.

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 2:17 am 

I went there and bought a couple of weird tubes off of Barry and got some other interesting things. i enjoyed looking at all of the old stuff.

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 9:15 pm 

I really enjoyed my first trip to Kutztown. Never before have I seen so many radios in one venue. It was like being a kid on their first trip to the candy store. So many radios but i must say that some, in my opinion, were priced alittle high. I understand the work that goes into them but Im sure that many sellers went home with high priced radios. If I'm wrong so be it.

I have flying monkeys and I know how to use them.

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 11:54 pm 

Never before have seen that many Midwest consoles, albeit very high priced consoles. I also saw two GE E-101’s and an E-105 console. The prices weren’t extremely high, but the cabinets needed re-finishing.

It was a good turnout, and a lot of fun conversing with folks. I got to meet Steve and George at the ARF table, and I believe George’s son was already fixing things, cool!

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 12:21 am 

I looked for the ARF table but not knowing anyone I failed.

I have flying monkeys and I know how to use them.

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 3:52 am 

I too was marveling at how many Midwests showed up. Most I've ever seen in one place, and two of them were '37 X-18 models! I counted 5 Midwest consoles and two table models present on Fri.

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 6:23 pm 

First time at a radio show for me. Everyone was very friendly and it was a great experience. I wish I didn't get a mild case of emphysema from being there, but otherwise it was fun.

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 9:24 pm 

Here are the very few photos I got of the show!

-Steve

Attachments:
kutztown1.jpg
kutztown1.jpg [ 993.48 KiB | Viewed 724 times ]
kutztown2.jpg
kutztown2.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 724 times ]
kutztown3.jpg
kutztown3.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 724 times ]
kutztown4.jpg
kutztown4.jpg [ 844.91 KiB | Viewed 724 times ]
tober.jpg
tober.jpg [ 868.13 KiB | Viewed 724 times ]
kutztown5.jpg
kutztown5.jpg [ 661.45 KiB | Viewed 724 times ]
fatcat.jpg
fatcat.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 724 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 81 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next