Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 1:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Abbey Road Today
PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 5:53 pm 

When it's not raining, pick any time from the archives, tourists stop traffic to have their pictures taken, crossing Abbey Road.
50 years ago today, or was it yesterday? All our troubles seemed so far away. :lol:

https://www.earthcam.com/world/england/ ... beyroad_uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 7:08 pm 

Its sad isnt it?? (How worse things have gotton)

Post subject: Re: Abbey Road Today
PostPosted: Aug Sat 10, 2019 12:54 am 

Universal has released all the remixes to youtube. Put the tunes on. Sing along, harmony if you've got it. Forget how rotten we've gotten, at least 2:17 at a time.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 10, 2019 6:02 pm 

Attachment:
Abbey Rd.jpg
Abbey Rd.jpg [ 225.48 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]

It's getting bettah all the ti-ime.
Wrong album, oh well, here come's the sun and I'm outa here. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB4Ofy5eVms

PostPosted: Sep Fri 27, 2019 7:18 pm 

To the young-sounding CBC Vancouver music review person I overheard this AM, ahem, Abbey Road is not your kind of music? "Here Comes The Sun" is just too sweet, etc?
Get over yourself and play some of the album. Can't do that then, bye for now. :lol:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 5:37 pm 

Dude111 wrote:
Its sad isnt it?? (How worse things have gotton)

This may have been the first time unfinished tracks were used regardless. You know, I can really relate to that as it's so easy to pull out a song but then somehow not add a chorus or vice versa. So, on Abbey Road they simply merged a few half tracks together such as, Polythene Pam. When you think about it this was really inventive and seemed to help finish the album on side B.
You notice Mccartney did this again on Band On The Run.

On a side-track too, the other day I came to the conclusion it was The Beach Boys who started it all off. They took barbershop quartet vocals and then added guitars and percussion, plus they wrote their own tracks for an assumed audience of sun-loving Californians. The Beatles did the same, catering to typical working-class folk. Both bands a decade later were doing different sounds via Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 3:14 am 

That's a surprising theory coming from somebody in the UK, that Brian Wilson started Beatlemania? :lol:

I think it was Paul said that they copied the Everley Bros. And I'm sure the Wilson brothers were well aware of the Everleys, so I'd say Don and Phil inspired both the Beatles and the Beach Boys. Then adding the 3rd harmony, Paul invited George to join the group to provide the 3rd voice, while the Wilsons already had that.
So how did Paul get to hear the Wilson brothers sing? A TV talent show, maybe? :lol:

The difference then was that the Fab Four used Little Richard, Chuck Berry and others R&B artists to hone their sound, shaking their mopheads and going Woo. It drove middle-class teenagers crazy.

First top 40 hit by the Beatles, Love Me Do, Oct, 1962, Beach Boys, Surfin' USA, Aug, 1963. Just saying, not claiming any kind of victory. :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 11:55 am 

Yeh, yeh, yeh. And Franki Valli started The Eagles.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 5:31 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
That's a surprising theory coming from somebody in the UK, that Brian Wilson started Beatlemania? :lol:

I think it was Paul said that they copied the Everley Bros. And I'm sure the Wilson brothers were well aware of the Everleys, so I'd say Don and Phil inspired both the Beatles and the Beach Boys. Then adding the 3rd harmony, Paul invited George to join the group to provide the 3rd voice, while the Wilsons already had that.
So how did Paul get to hear the Wilson brothers sing? A TV talent show, maybe? :lol:

The difference then was that the Fab Four used Little Richard, Chuck Berry and others R&B artists to hone their sound, shaking their mopheads and going Woo. It drove middle-class teenagers crazy.

First top 40 hit by the Beatles, Love Me Do, Oct, 1962, Beach Boys, Surfin' USA, Aug, 1963. Just saying, not claiming any kind of victory. :lol:

Not sure of this but I think Surfin Safari was the start for The Beach Boys. I highly recommend watching the move on the Beach Boys too (American Family) - mega interesting. Apparently Murry Wilson went haywire when he discovered they had bought guitars and kit to form a band but then he changed his mind.
The idea for Sgt Pepper definitely came from Pet Sounds which was a new turn for the Beach Boys. Seems to me too Penny Lane uses the same chords more or less as God Only Knows so I always suspected Mccartney had been inspired by that track - which he later claimed was his favourite tune.

"It drove middle-class teenagers crazy."

First screaming I ever heard was over Frankie Avalon. That was 1959. Psychology-wise, I could never figure out why the women got so hysterical, screaming and fainting and crying over the Stones and Beatles. This has led me to conclude to be successful in pop, the overall culture needs to be "geared" into music as a status symbol and an element of mass appeal or ripple effect.

I do credit the Beach Boys a lot with the creation of sixties pop. One thing you will notice is sixties rock and pop bands really went to town on backing vocals. I guess this was due to the fact with only a drumkit, guitars and keyboard, vocals had to be a major part of the overall track. Therefore, the "ahhh,la,la," backing on so many sixties hits. The Beach Boys were very reliant on such backing vocals and it seems to me this spread throughout. Another point is if you see the Stones live on TV appearances around 1964, all they had was a few guitars, a bass, very basic drums and Jagger putting on a real stage act (strutting about).

I was very impressed also by Jefferson Airplane.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:41 am 

You are correct, Surfin Safari, October, 1962, right there with Love Me Do.
I got those other dates from a site where some young guys didn't finish their homework. :lol:

Speaking of the Stones early performances, I just watched some videos of them on the Ed Sullivan Show. They performed live, and they did it well.
Someone adds a comment that Charlie starts late, but that was not a mistake on his part. He lets Keith lead, then adjusts his tempo to Keith's.

Re: screaming girls, yes, they were screaming for Elvis and others in the 50's. But 1960's B&W TV really helped spread the mania.
Funny we heard Smokey Robinson tunes with British accents before DJ's started playing the original R&B artists on mainstream radio.

Just want to add here that 'Surfin USA' is an obvious ripoff of Chuck Berry's 'Sweet Little Sixteen' but maybe a sign of the times, there was no mention of plagiarism. We got to hear the R&B originals later in the decade when they finally surfaced on local radio.
Roll over, Beethoven, Woo. :lol:

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Oct Thu 10, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 11:33 am 

And before Elvis, they were screaming for Sinatra in the 1940s.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 2:32 pm 

Quote:
why the women got so hysterical
Practice.