Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 2:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Are Would-Be Musicians Doomed?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 12:45 am 

I was just reading how Indie musicians mostly get income from the general labour market. Doing part time jobs. It's daunting. I recall John Denver just went out and did music, after doing Beatles covers and practising guitar. Once John got a hit or two he was doing vinyl albums and concerts. Only much later was he dropped by EMI as trends changed. By that time music had made him millions. Anyway, I always loved music. Mostly pop and rock but also progressive jazz, classical guitar or disco (such as Gino Soccio). Whenever I try to talk about anything music related, people around just look lost and change the subject. I still sometimes play keyboard but there is no-one I can share ideas with. Not locally. What bugs me most isn't that people into music rarely make any money but the feeling of apathy and lack of interest you encounter. This makes you wonder why bother? Sure, playing piano or guitar feels great and is a way to relax. Yet, it's like being somewhere else. Nobody has the same interest. What you do get around here is karaoke which is truly awful as alcohol messes up your pitch, the same as balance and reaction. So the karaoke is pretty loud and not so great. Lately I think that even if vintage radio is a minority interest, at least the time spent on it pays something back. I mean, you can apply the electrical theory to other things like solar power or household repair. Music however (or mention of it) seems to not resonate with people at all.

Post subject: Re: Are Would-Be Musicians Doomed?
PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 1:01 am 

Where I live everyone is supposed to carry a spanner and drill. I have lots of spanners. I have soldering irons too. There is no art, however. Nobody would come up to you and say, "I just bought this guitar. Any idea how to play a chord or two?" People even give me unwanted keyboards. Someone gave me a Yamaha although it didn't impress me as much as Cassio. Anyway, I will say this. I have seen world class performers. I saw classical maestro Andres Segovia play live. I saw Judie Tsuke. I feel sure if I really practised hard, I could improve on guitar and piano. Yet it feels like you could wind up just an odd ball. There's no feedback.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 2:30 am 

Yes and no. I was just in a musical play at church. The director was a mid 20s (her age) opera wannabe (and maybe successful some day). She wrote the play and included some interesting lines in it. Like how you could get someone to accompany you on piano by giving him a sandwich and how professional musicians don't make enough money to buy anything. She said those came from her own experiences.

At the cast party, various people played her piano while others sung. She also showed us various YouTube videos including Queen. (She has wide ranging tastes.)

At the Ihop we frequently dine at, they play music in the background. It's mostly modern stuff but occasionally goes back to the '70s. I've heard the wait staff singing along.

So I guess it might depend on where you live or who you hang out with.

We have three oldies AM stations here, although one is daytime only.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 3:16 am 

The newest piece of music I have in my MP3 collection is Jeff Lynne's ELO - When I Was A Boy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfH8EJA-hg0 from 2015. I think that is the only music I have from this century :shock: . Everything else is from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 3:29 am 

One of my neighbors is business law attorney and litigator. He has a large collection of guitars, tube amplifiers, and effects pedals. He does play on bands and sings. Unless you live on the middle of nowhere, there are opportunities. Move to a place such as southern California, and there are opportunities up, down, right and left. What about churches in your area?

Last edited by FStephenMasek on Nov Mon 25, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 2:22 pm 

I may be wrong about this but it looks to me that Paul Mccartney's very talented son.James has backed off from a music career. I say that because some months ago the press and media were covering appearances and interviews. There was a small tour of the USA. All of this just stopped some months ago. No new album releases by James or tours with a band. Needless to say, what I heard to date music-wise was good. Great guitar and good songwriting. I just think being a musician these days is risky. Ultimately it boils down to time being put into a venture that may yield no positive result. In James's case, he had one or two interviews where all the interviewer wanted to discuss was The Beatles. No mention of anything relevant to the actual imput of the artist. It boils down to a juxtaposition of liking music but existing in limbo. I actually wrote one of my best songs one day called "No-one To Sing To". It's unfinished. As to the matter of churches that was raised, I still quite like Larry Norman. I thought he had a great voice and the songs were not overcomplicated.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 2:37 pm 

My current approach is not to put too much focus into music. I will do it in bursts when I feel I've been active enough doing other things. It may even be the case that the known association between musicians and depression is aggravated by the frustrations they face - if music is their sole modus vivendi. Even the legendary icons of pop and rock suffered the downsides. Apparently Pet Sounds got overall bad reviews at the time of release, despite being a superb creative album. Funnily enough quite a few elite musicians only did music for a limited time and then changed direction. Classic case, Lyle Mays the talented piano and synth player. He quit music and became an architect. He stated his reason as wanting a reliable income. And that comes from a prog music icon who made it in the industry.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 27, 2019 3:03 am 

All (I had most where all is but the reality is that it's all sterilized in a computer before it's released) commercial music today is made on the computer and it's somewhat controlled by the music labels. Couple that to the extremely short attention span of people today and music becomes a tough business. Pick a genre, you can go back and find hits that are still listened to today. The music literally lasts decades. Todays "works" don't. I listen to a lot of different genres, including the "pop country" stuff that people of my generation love to hate, like Luke Bryan. My current listening preference is Eric Church and Luke Combs, with some Luke Bryan sprinkled in. 10 years from now I doubt if they'll even be remembered. Even people that don't listen to country music today know who Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, etc are.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 8:25 pm 

Mike6158 wrote:
All (I had most where all is but the reality is that it's all sterilized in a computer before it's released) commercial music today is made on the computer and it's somewhat controlled by the music labels. Couple that to the extremely short attention span of people today and music becomes a tough business. Pick a genre, you can go back and find hits that are still listened to today. The music literally lasts decades. Todays "works" don't. I listen to a lot of different genres, including the "pop country" stuff that people of my generation love to hate, like Luke Bryan. My current listening preference is Eric Church and Luke Combs, with some Luke Bryan sprinkled in. 10 years from now I doubt if they'll even be remembered. Even people that don't listen to country music today know who Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, etc are.

Music is in decline today I agree. Sometimes I may get some nice chord sequences and wish I had someone around like Brian Wilson to ask "What do you think?" Where I live there is just no interest. People may happily sing the Xmas hits of 20 years ago but not much new is on the horizon.