Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 27, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Rant on Music
PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 4:33 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Mr. Highlander wrote:
Memories, sweetened through the ages just like wine
ANNOUNCER:.....But try to recapture that feeling with your old 78s. Recording technology was in it's infancy. It just wasn't possible to catch all that great music on 78s.

But today? We can record music just as it is, just as crisp and clear as the stars in the eyes of the one you're dancing with......

Or....
ANNOUNCER: Modern music. (FUZZ GUITAR SOLO WITH HYPERACTIVE DRUM PATTERN) Everybody says `Ugh. what kind of noise is that?' But you'd be surprised! There's often a beautiful melody under all that racket. We've brought out the basics and given all those hits a fresh clean MELLOW sound so that you can enjoy the same music as your kids. Brilliant right? Just listen to Santana's Black Magic Woman.

Now listen to our new Beautiful Day recording!.......

Just 19.95 buys you a full 12 LP set or 6 8-tracks full of the best music money can buy. Even if you COULD get all this music individually, you'd have to pay over $65 dollars for i
t.......

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 9:43 pm 

ndiamone wrote:
Now listen to our new Beautiful Day recording!.......

It is a beautiful day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUNgQ03D2qA

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 9:45 pm 

White bird must fly, or she will die ...

That song made me gag but chicks liked it and would force you to sit through the whole album. They wouldn't want to hear Fever Tree who? 'I just gotta go and get back to the Bay ....'

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 12:55 am 

Just between us, most pop was disposable. Rubbish. Goes for a lot of the 'big names' too. I won't list them because they might be somebody's 'favorite'.

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 1:30 am 

But isn't that the very definition of pop music? It's something consumed like soda - you drink it down, and move on to the next.

I think history supports that.

BTW, the writer, singer and violin player of 'White Bird', David LaFlamme, has played with artists like Jerry Garcia and Janis Joplin, and acted on the television shows 'Frasier', Ellen', and 'Wings', and even played the White House.

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 4:12 am 

SparkyDan wrote:
davep wrote:
Kids these days are much more competent with their particular instruments than ever because of the music schools and internet instruction . If you don't know that you don't play an instrument.

I've gotta ask - - where are these competent kids and what are their instruments? Sorry, but I don't see your point. Oh, and I do play several instruments, and have for 60 years, give or take. Actually made money doing so, too. I've also taught private students over the years, and what you say doesn't resonate with my experience.

Dan

This should get you started. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQXJ5IZ-2M

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 2:15 pm 

davep wrote:
This should get you started. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQXJ5IZ-2M

That's awesome.

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 3:38 pm 

Here's some more trained children musicians , YouTube is full of it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkkS4HBJ6o

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 5:20 pm 

Yes, there are many talented young musicians today; I didn't mean to say otherwise. The point I was trying to make (rather poorly, obviously) is that they are fewer and farther between than in days past. I have attended literally hundreds of school band, orchestra, and choir concerts for many years - both middle school and high school performances. What I have noticed is that as the years progressed, the talent got progressively worse, to the point of being un-listenable in many cases. Why? Lack of discipline and practice. It takes many years and thousands of hours to "get it right". Yes, there are exceptional examples - - Youtube is indeed full of them - - but by and large kids in general aren't being encouraged to practice "rote" anything.

Oh, and I don't consider someone playing an electronic keyboard with full orchestral/instrumental/post-production effects a "musician". You can easily program your computer/device to correct for sharp or flat notes, adjust and align tempo/harmony, sync with other performers, etc. As for calling them "musicians", most of them are just basically typing from a script. . . :roll: Take away their headphones, put them on a real piano bench with a real piano, and let them show you how well they play. Or have a vocalist belt it out stage center, no mic or amp/processing. Take away the electronics, and most of those youtube videos would be classified as comedy routines.

Dan

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 6:35 pm 

There you go again Sparky. Spoken like a true old man

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 7:06 pm 

davep wrote:

And proud of it. 8)

Dan

PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2020 10:48 pm 

There still are kids out there with lots of musical talent; my wife has taught many over the years, when she was giving piano lessons. Our daughter played both piano and clarinet, and was principal in a local youth symphony. She now teaches piano, and her own daughters are musical. The oldest one, age six, is taking harp lessons; her younger sister is leaning the piano.

The stuff played on top 40 stations is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, as far as music goes. It could be that producers don't want to pay for decent session musicians. As in other businesses, the entertainment industry goes with the stuff that will sell, even if isn't very good.

PostPosted: May Sat 23, 2020 5:22 am 

davep wrote:
Kids these days are much more competent with their particular instruments than ever because of the music schools and internet instruction . If you don't know that you don't play an instrument.

its too bad the music scene seems to be composed of all the people who don't know any instruments these days, despite that. Seriously I know several young people who play music way better than today's popular music stars.

PostPosted: May Mon 25, 2020 12:09 am 

Well now you guys have done it ,you`ve turned an alleged 17 year old into one of you.
As for songs that "demean" America consider "Fortunate Son" Born In The USA" or American Woman"
( if ya want the Canadian take) Hey some of the writers of those songs are in the Rock n Roll hall of fame ,
so I guess that they are "real" musicians . By the way young man those songs were hits before your
mother was born .Railing against the status quo is part of the backbone of democracy.If you don`t
care for the genre that`s being used to do it so be it .
I have been reading this board since the 1990`s .I enjoy it.I post very very rarely.But the OP`s post depressed me,
the responses really depressed me .
As for" I Want To Hold Your Hand "maybe you wouldn`t I it were full of "fish and finger pie".(op has alot to learn about the Beatles).
Son my unwanted advice would be fire up a doobie ,find a girl/boy friend ,realize that in some cases nostalgia is indeed a sickness.
It is a tough moment in history but you live in an astoundingly beautiful world.And trust me despite what so many on this forum will
tell you this is the greatest time in history to be alive .Anyone who would say otherwise is an unhappy person,and I fear that this forum
has alot of older people who yearn for a past that never existed .
You are 17 open your heart and mind and let everybody you see on to your lawn.
(and stop complaining like an old fart ,its unbecoming)

PostPosted: May Mon 25, 2020 1:58 am 

SparkyDan wrote:
Yes, there are many talented young musicians today; I didn't mean to say otherwise. The point I was trying to make (rather poorly, obviously) is that they are fewer and farther between than in days past. I have attended literally hundreds of school band, orchestra, and choir concerts for many years - both middle school and high school performances. What I have noticed is that as the years progressed, the talent got progressively worse, to the point of being un-listenable in many cases. Why? Lack of discipline and practice. It takes many years and thousands of hours to "get it right". Yes, there are exceptional examples - - Youtube is indeed full of them - - but by and large kids in general aren't being encouraged to practice "rote" anything.

Oh, and I don't consider someone playing an electronic keyboard with full orchestral/instrumental/post-production effects a "musician". You can easily program your computer/device to correct for sharp or flat notes, adjust and align tempo/harmony, sync with other performers, etc. As for calling them "musicians", most of them are just basically typing from a script. . . :roll: Take away their headphones, put them on a real piano bench with a real piano, and let them show you how well they play. Or have a vocalist belt it out stage center, no mic or amp/processing. Take away the electronics, and most of those youtube videos would be classified as comedy routines.

Dan

Dan, I think that after all these years of listening to middle school and high school band performances, I have the explanation for what you have been observing .... The music is the same. Your standards have just gone up. :D

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 8:06 pm 

davep wrote:

+1

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 12:43 am 

Y'all need to drink more booze. lol

Post subject: Christmas Eve 1975 at Guy Clark's
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=274410

Greg.