Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 13, 2020 2:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any value in radio station 78’s?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 19, 2020 2:39 pm 

So I recently bought sight unseen a huge collection (14 bankers boxes) of 78’s that the seller bought at auction. Once I picked them up I found that 80+ percent of the close to 2000 records are labeled “not for sale”, “disc jockey use only” promotional versions that are about half the thickness of a regular 78. The are numbered for what i assume was a radio stations categorized system. They are also all in heavy sleeves and are in perfect condition, since only the jockey handled them... was hoping to find some Glenn Miller, Bing, frank, etc, but wasn’t much... a lot of Dinah Shore, Patti Page, Billy Eckstine, Martha Tilton, etc... do these have any value? I don’t know what station they came from but I’d assume a local one...

Post subject: Re: Any value in radio station 78’s?
PostPosted: Jun Tue 23, 2020 5:02 pm 

I think that radio station transcription discs are valuable as they are scarce historical documents, but don't know about those. If you do not get an answer, you can always imply they are rare and valuable in the sales listings!

PostPosted: Jun Tue 23, 2020 8:49 pm 

Most of those POP artists titles are not worth a lot individually, but being pristine would enhance their
desirability. Best way to sell them would be in lots of ten or fifteen to make them easier to pack and ship.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 27, 2020 3:21 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Presumably most if not all of these are going to be post-war/50's as they really didn't have too many promo 78s before about 1945 or so.
orthophonic wrote:
Best way to sell them would be in lots of ten or fifteen to make them easier to pack and ship.
Trouble with that is - whichever way you categorize the 10-15 discs - SOMEBODY is going to complain there's only 1-2 good ones and the rest fluff. Repeat for everybody else with THEIR taste.

Meaning if you do it that way - either 90% is going to end up in the e.g. Goodwill to get destroyed by kids or staff that have zero knowledge or affinity for these - or once they find out the Goodwill don't take them anymore - end up sat on the curb or heaved into a local dumpster.

Only two things I know to do with 78s you don't know anything about and mostly don't care about is

A) consign them with Nauck's https://78rpm.com
B) contact https://archive.org and have them come and get them

``Half the thickness/weight of a regular 78'' could be bakelite (Deccalite, Metrolite etc) or it could be true vinyl.

Before shipping them off to Nauck's though I would separate out the true vinyl from the bakelite and the shellac and deal with each one separately.

In the vinyl there's also bound to be the odd colored vinyl disc as well. Whether it's Elvis or Eddie Fisher is immaterial - colored vinyl 78s are worth considerably more than their bakelite or shellac counterparts - and the same goes for the promo discs.

Same thing for picture discs. Whether it's a Vogue or a Mercury or RCA - depending on the content - some can fetch a pretty penny.

When you DO ship them off to either Nauck's or Archive you might as well take the pictures yourself since the auction percentage rises with every job you make them do vs doing yourself or else you take time away from other collections making the archive employees do it off their shoestring budget.

But before you do that - check the site and see if a large percentage of your discs have sold and at what price. If the prices are decent and or more than you paid for them counting the gas/shipping to receive them - then by all means proceed.

If not i.e. you either don't want to or can't deal with it yourself because listing them and having them (or anybody) take their auction commission and the packing and shipping for each one and the photography and yadadadada will exceed the value of the discs - then the only thing you can do is contact https://archive.org and have them come and get them.

Or box them up and send them Free Matter for the Blind or Handicapped which being a nonprofit org they are eligible to receive.

If you digitize them yourself, same with if you shoot the pictures yourself - it saves them the limited staff hours doing it themselves so they can turn their attn to other collections.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 02, 2020 9:34 am 

Hello, I have collected 78rpm records for over 50 years, unfortunately, the collection as you describe it, will be hard to sell these days. If there are a lot of "Rock and Roll" 78's or "Elvis Presley" 78's you would easily find a buyer. The problem is that there are no new 78 rpm collectors and as the older generation, like me, die out, there will be fewer and fewer collectors of 78 rpm records. Promotional records or not, does not make a difference in value, most of the time. Dinah Shore and Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, Perry Como and those guys that sold millions of 78 rpm records, are available at any 78 rpm record show, and do not sell well. Another reason is mp3 and CD recordings are available of all their recordings. I doubt that Nauck would even accept it for auction. Also the cost of a good record player with 78 rpm speed is over $600 for a low cost decent player. You could try to eBay them, - there may be a nitch collector or two for promotional records. On the other hand you could find a record worth thousands of dollars, but I doubt it.
Bob

PostPosted: Jul Sun 05, 2020 4:49 pm 

Sold the whole collection for double what I payed for it after I combed through and got the good stuff... was glad to get the 14 boxes out of the garage!