Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 16, 2019 5:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who are your top female singers
PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2014 3:48 pm 

nipperscousin wrote:
radiowizard wrote:
What a great rip of Miley...wonder how Darwin would write about her and her antics? I know this is about female singers, but...I remember the big brouhaha over Jim Morrison and the things he did on stage...poor guy must be spinning in his grave.
RW

Eesh, putting Miley Cyrus and Jim Morrison in the same conversation is enough to make your skin crawl. He may have had his moment(s) of infamy but at least he was coming from a place of thought and creativity.

OMG! You stole those words right out of my head! Jim Morrison and Miley Cyrus in the same paragraph? I heard the rumors but wasn't sure until just now: Chaos has become the official order of the day! Up is down, black is white, night is day.

Darwin believed the strongest species were able to adapt and overcome obstacles: like amphibians growing lungs to adapt to life in air. I think sex/reproduction is rarely a remarkable adaptation with the exception of animals like rabbits. Every carnivore on earth eats rabbits so they need to have a higher reproduction rate then kill rate to survive. Now using the terms "Miley Cyrus" and "animal reproductive process" seems a little more appropriate to be used in the same paragraph, except that I can't think of any self-respecting carnivore on earth that would want to eat Miley Cyrus.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2014 4:36 pm 

Kay Starr :)

PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2014 2:15 am 

Annette Hanshaw
and Helen Kane
and Bessie Smith
Koko Taylor

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2014 7:26 am 

What about Madonna? Her first 25 years of her career were really good, always good music.
BTW. , my brother`s little daughter had a Miley Cyrus poster in her room. :?
For that reason I should prefer Mrs. Spears. :roll:

SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2014 11:09 am 

Marilyn McCoo
Karen Carpenter
Linda Rhonstat

None of today's "artists" even come close in my opinion.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2014 1:05 pm 

mugginsjr wrote:
nipperscousin wrote:
radiowizard wrote:
What a great rip of Miley...wonder how Darwin would write about her and her antics? I know this is about female singers, but...I remember the big brouhaha over Jim Morrison and the things he did on stage...poor guy must be spinning in his grave.
RW

Eesh, putting Miley Cyrus and Jim Morrison in the same conversation is enough to make your skin crawl. He may have had his moment(s) of infamy but at least he was coming from a place of thought and creativity.

OMG! You stole those words right out of my head! Jim Morrison and Miley Cyrus in the same paragraph? I heard the rumors but wasn't sure until just now: Chaos has become the official order of the day! Up is down, black is white, night is day.

Darwin believed the strongest species were able to adapt and overcome obstacles: like amphibians growing lungs to adapt to life in air. I think sex/reproduction is rarely a remarkable adaptation with the exception of animals like rabbits. Every carnivore on earth eats rabbits so they need to have a higher reproduction rate then kill rate to survive. Now using the terms "Miley Cyrus" and "animal reproductive process" seems a little more appropriate to be used in the same paragraph, except that I can't think of any self-respecting carnivore on earth that would want to eat Miley Cyrus.[/quote

As Einstein said to Lemaitre "Your mathematics are correct but your physics are abominable."

Your conclusion is right on but your interpretation of Darwin is atrocious. :)

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2014 4:22 pm 

Here are ten that I can think of, in no particular order.

Patsy Cline
Dusty Springfield
Sandy Denny
Karen Carpenter
Eydie Gorme
Jo Stafford
Anne Shelton
Bea Wain
Tammy Wynette
Aretha Franklin

Bob

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2014 9:46 pm 

Shanghai Jack wrote:
As Einstein said to Lemaitre "Your mathematics are correct but your physics are abominable."

Your conclusion is right on but your interpretation of Darwin is atrocious. :)

LOL! Let's just say Darwinism was adapted to insure that joke would survive! :)

Tah-may-toe, Tah-mah-toe, it all makes good spaghetti!.... Chef Boyardee??? I don't know who said that. I just like spaghetti and sloppy, skinny noodles that don't twerk.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 03, 2014 7:27 pm 

Found this thread by searching to see if anyone had mentioned my personal favorite female singers, and I was actually surprised to find that one person had. What is truly sad is that this singer (and her sisters) influenced the way EVERYONE sang from 1931 on: Bing learned to croon by listening to her...Frank Sinatra said that all ANY singer ever wanted to do was sing like her...Ella Fitzgerald became who she was because she listened to her records as a girl, and got up on stage that fateful night at the Apollo and sang one of her songs, and yet her name and legacy are largely ignored.

I am talking about Connie Boswell of The Boswell Sisters. The Boswell Sisters predated the Andrews girls by ten good years, and Maxene Andrews admitted that they only began singing by imitating the Boswell Sisters note-for-note. Connie, Martha, and Vet Boswell were the first female JAZZ harmony trio. Nobody had done what they did before them. They made their own complex arrangements. The were able to get such "young lions" as The Dorsey Brothers, Venuti and Lang, Bunny Berrigan, Joe Tarto as their "backup band' for their stunning run of recordings for Brunswick from 1931-1936, when they decided to call it quits.

Martha and Vet got married and quit. Connie went on to have an amazing career throughout the War years and into the late 50s, a period in which she changed the spelling of her name to Connee. And she did it all from a wheelchair. Most people didn't know she couldn't walk. The fact was covered up by flowing gowns and rolling stools/chairs.

But Connie's voice launched dozens of careers of singers who went on to become household names, while her legacy has languished in the shadows, along with that of The Boswell Sisters. Everyone's heard of the Andrews Sisters, nobody's heard of The Boswell Sisters...but there would have been no Andrews Sisters without the Boswells, and not many people have heard of Connie Boswell, but everyone's heard of Ella Fitzgerald, and there would not have been an Ella Fitgerald if there hadn't been a Connie Boswell.

This year, that is all changing. There is a PBS documentary in the works that is scheduled to run in December, and to that all I can say is "Yowzah! It's about time!" I won't bother posting links, YouTube has a stunning array of videos of their music, made by loving fans. Go do a search and listen for yourself. You, too, will wonder why The Boswell Sisters and Connie Boswell are not mentioned in the ranks of the "great singers" when people list "great singers." Connie Boswell influenced every one of the singers most people list first!

Last edited by beebs on Apr Fri 04, 2014 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 03, 2014 9:49 pm 

Here is a dozen of my favorite female singers

Ella Fitzgerald
Emmylou Harris
Jo Stafford
Sara Carter (of the Carter Family)
Janis Joplin
Loretta Lynn
Debbie Harry (Blondie)
Amy Lee
Tanya Tucker
Nancy Wilson (Jazz singer from my home town)
Carla Thomas
Skeeter Davis

PostPosted: Apr Thu 03, 2014 11:28 pm 

I agree with the Boswell Sisters...........................

Jerry

PostPosted: Apr Fri 04, 2014 1:52 pm 

8) An incredible list of women have been brought up here. Though I find the list almost top-40 exclusive with hardly more than a few not award winners in the big awards sense. I could add Enya or Sinead O'Connor or Bjork to the list but they too have had not only good commercial success but also a lot of international awards and recognition. So, a few ladies that have been successes but are not likely to be ones you would hear on the drive in to the office.

Storm Large https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L-_DiZlrUI

I encountered her music just recently and because of a movie. Yes, I like low budget sci-fi kinds of movie :) more creative than the refined big studio stuff. So yes, I found myself watching Big Ass Spider and falling in love with her rendition of the Pixies song Where is my Mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4yBRsKGubk (Live, raw and unfiltered and still to me awesome).

Eivør Palsdottir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k8WD1gx8mg

:P Ok, not English but that never fazes me. She doe's sing in English too, here a Kate Bush cover that may be more reachable The Hounds of Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVimRZ3jScU

Angelique Kidjo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haQz9dCoZ3E

:P I love the song, have for decades and her rendition is for me at least really enjoyable. Some of the Swahili is I believe not accented right but I am ok with that, many accents in the world. And ok, maybe not as fair to list her lol she has performed with Peter Gabriel and Alicia Keys amongst others but heck I just like the lady https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EingxanFmjg

There is SO much talent that is Woman out there, I can go on with singers as soloists or in bands or you name it for quite a while. Liv Kristine, Monica Richards, Tarja Turunen, Sina Hübner, Simone Simons, Jane Blue and so on and on. To say "name one better than" is actually rather insulting to those great many talented women out there.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 04, 2014 5:45 pm 

Maybe a little old fashioned but when celebrities use sex or sexy behavior to sell themselves it lessons my respect a little and also my willingness to buy their music.

Madonna was a big violator of that from her start. Even her stage name irritated me because some religions use "Madonna" to refer to the Virgin Mary. And trying to raise little girls at the same time Madonna published a book of naked pictures of herself really just sealed it for me. How was I supposed to shield my kids from the most famous female pop singer in the world? As a dad it was constantly bothering me.

Putting all that aside though I must say that Madonna has an extremely beautiful voice. Sometimes I'll hear a song on the radio without knowing who is singing it and think "That is just incredibly beautiful." Later I'll ask someone about it or look it up and find out that Madonna is who I was listening to.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 05, 2014 9:44 am 

I've recently discovered this girl "Kinga" Victoria ... I think that's her last name.
Wow beautiful and ...she is a young woman but with an old soul.
And what a unique and beautiful voice... like no other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnjoYIEtfAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQK44qum8bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOSf67TPJtk

PostPosted: Apr Fri 11, 2014 9:35 pm 

Anyone want to meet me at the Royal Albert 3 June for the 50 year anniversary concert of the Seekers with my favorite Judith Durham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqMZePE7SQk

PostPosted: May Thu 22, 2014 7:52 am 

For a really outstanding voice (I am only considering singers who are still alive and active here) check out Linda Eder. She came up through Ed McMahon's "Star Search" She has done Broadway as well as popular and big band.

Check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynrky_iw6Q

now there is a voice!

Henry

PostPosted: Jun Fri 06, 2014 1:25 pm 

Jo Stafford and Vera Lynn but Roberta Flack was in a class by herself.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 06, 2014 10:47 am 

Janis Joplin & Nicki Minaj.............lol i know it's funny :wink:

PostPosted: Jul Sun 06, 2014 12:10 pm 

Joannie Summers
Julie London
Karen Carpenter
Ann Murray

Robk

PostPosted: Oct Sun 12, 2014 2:44 am 

1. The Peasall sisters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1dVxCa77sI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg1CyWSJ7E4

Followed by in no particular order:

Grace Vanderwaal

Shania Twain

Lee Morse

Petula Clark

Ella Fitzgerald

Last edited by bob1951 on Sep Tue 25, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next