Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Very Light Gripe "Greatest Hits Collections"
PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 7:21 pm 

hi folks,

i say this with humor but with a bit of disgust as well.

we all have seen and or purchased the "20th Century Masters Collection" ; "The Definitive Collection" ; "The Greatest Hits Collection" ; "The Ultimate Collection" ; "Collector's Choice Edition" albums and the like by specific artists/groups.

i find it very annoying that no mater which "greatest hits collection" one buys of a particular artist/group, there are at least THREE songs that were fantastic hits that are NOT on the disc.

i recently bought a "cars greatest hits" cd with quite a few songs on it. i can't remember which two "definitive" great hits were missing, but i just could not believe someone could call this a "greatest hits CD" with that song missing.

at the same time on these "greatest hits albums" that are missing great hits, there are two to four songs that i have NEVER heard of.

obviously, one has to buy three or four greatest hits albums to get all the songs.

this situation even exists on two CD collections such as the rolling stones "HONK" compilation.

can you believe that they DO NOT INCLUDE: one hit to the body, shattered, highwire, and get ready for this...she's so cold :roll: .

yet again, there are craptastic songs on the album that i never even heard of.

no wonder i rarely purchase CDs like this. with amazon music, i can download any song that i want for a buck, plus or minus 30 cents, and get all the hits.

steve

Post subject: Re: A Very Light Gripe "Greatest Hits Collections"
PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 7:29 pm 

And then there's the group Steppenwolf. Steppenwolf had 7 top-40 hits and 10 original studio albums, yet they've had no less than 14 greatest hits albums.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 7:32 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Surely this is not news to you?

The marketing people are smart people. They know how to pus your wallet to the limit. That's what they get paid for.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 7:42 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Surely this is not news to you?

no

i forgot to mention the marketing variable in my post above.

cut me some slack, i haven't been out of bed since friday except for going to the dr twice and to shower twice per day.

i've been hit hard.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2020 9:05 pm 

I 100% agree with all that. Or when you buy a greatest hits album only to find out the one song you really wanted to hear is in fact a live recording, which usually sucks. There were also different versions of the same song recorded. "Under the boardwalk " by The Drifters had two versions. The album version was, "We'll be making love" was changed in the 45 single to "We'll be falling in love " due to the decency standards of the day, and so it could be played over the air. There are also versions of songs where one version will have an instrument that's heard,or the vocals heard will be slightly different from the other. I don't know why that is, just saying it is.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 1:53 am 

OH YES !

i forgot about the few "live" cuts that are thrown in as "greatest hits" INSTEAD OF the studio version.

i have already refused to purchase a few 'greatest hits' CDs just because there were live cuts on it instead of the studio version.

that's why i like amazon music. i can download whatever i want.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 6:56 am 

Sometimes some songs are omitted because they were recorded for a different record company and they couldn't get the rights. These collections may have titles like "All the (record company) hits by (group name).

I have one collection that admits to having an alternate take of the main hit because the original tape was destroyed in a flood. It's pretty close, though.

And then there are the goofy things that sometimes happen in the original release. For example, the Beatles song (Please Please Me?) where they messed up the lyrics on one of the verses. The mono LP has the mistake but the stereo LP does not. I don't have the 45 so I don't know about that.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 6:46 pm 

About 5 years ago while crate digging, I found a Johnny Rivers "Greatest Hits" Lp. After the first 30 seconds of "Secret Agent Man" I found it was a re-recording. In fact, all the tracks were. It was Johnny Rivers (easy to recognize voice) alright. I kept if for like 3 weeks and tossed it out.
RW

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 10:20 pm 

Watch out for compilations issued out of Canada; they often contain bogus versions. Producers unwilling to pay for the rights to major hit oldies will bring in the original artist for a new session, and rerecord the song. Many MP3s out there are alternate versions.

When recording tracks for my Part 15 station, I wanted to use a 1961 instrumental called "Wheels". The track on an oldies compilation album was recorded at the wrong speed! I had to go to the original 45 to get the correct version.

PostPosted: May Tue 26, 2020 11:16 pm 

there was a bogus version of Pat Benetar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" on a K-tel "Full-Tilt" album.

also, some those "re-recording" albums sound absolutely afwul.

steve

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 12:26 am 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
there was a bogus version of Pat Benetar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" on a K-tel "Full-Tilt" album. Also, some those "re-recording" albums sound absolutely awful. Steve
IMHO I suspect that charts like Joel Whitburn, combined with the ability to get recording license $$$ to reproduce the recordings are the factors to generate these hit conglomeration albums.

I have been going to the Time-Life CD/DVD web site and looking at their selections of music that they are burning to disc.

Not fingering any one song but some songs I never heard in Massachusetts, others are repeatedly recorded to different sets with the guise they are a different genra. Though genra is highly speculative in some recordings. None the less if someone goes the length to buy their CD/DVD selections they will find it is full of dupes from group to group. In the long run I do think there are adequately juried.

I have used their CD/DVD listings of songs to peruse them online, only once did I find a particular song so obscure no one even recorded it to YouTube :roll: .

I have K-Tel in my vinyl collection and a great deal of 45's from 50's-60's The CDs are exceptional in their recording far clearer than the issues in 45 vinyl are... I can understand the words :lol:

Chas

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 2:36 am 

The various greatest hits releases are all about marketing and maximum revenue for the label with licensing issues thrown in. Studio work is expensive when you factor in the rental cost plus the cost of the session musicians and knob twirling engineers. Greatest hits collections omits much of the studio cost leaving the mastering costs only. Many songs have multiple songwriters or performers. If even a single writer or performer among them all has rights blocked in one way or another for a song...that song is unavailable for reproduction on a compilation album. Sometimes it is impossible or incredibly difficult to get the actual release of rights and it is easier to do without. Thus a greatest hits album is not a greatest hits for the fan...it's a greatest hits that the label chose to offer. The music recording biz is full of nasty legal crap usually to the detriment of the artist.

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 5:46 am 

i got a chubby checker greatest hits at the flea market last year.

it had versions of his hits, sung by him, that i never ever heard.

it went into the garbage.

it was the worst 50 cents i ever spent.

steve

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 7:02 am 

The Twist or Twist Again, Or the Limbo Weren't On there?

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 4:30 pm 

yes, they "all" were there, however they were versions that i never heard before.

you knew it was the "twist" (and others alike), but it seemed to be in a different key, a different rhythm, and it sounded like chubby sang it in a phone booth ; recorded on a 1978 desktop cassette recorder.

after really looking at the inserts and disc itself, it was on some no-name-chump label of which i never heard.

also, it was recorded and peaked at -20 on the VU. one should not need to play a 200+ watt amplifier at a volume setting at 11 o'clock to hear a cd.

it was terrible in every possible way.

steve

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 5:19 pm 

Cameo / Parkway records, Chubby Checker's record label, wound up being controlled by one of the biggest weasels in the record business, Allen Klein. The entire Cameo / Parkway catalog was out of print for about 30 years starting in the mid-1970s. This prompted many of the label's artists, like Chubby Checker and Bobby Rydell, to re-record their hits.

PostPosted: May Wed 27, 2020 7:12 pm 

which ever one i had, it was pathetic in every possible way from the song itself to the recording quality.

steve

PostPosted: May Thu 28, 2020 7:12 pm 

C'mon, was it really that bad? :lol:

PostPosted: May Thu 28, 2020 8:30 pm 

it was like getting a pizza, throwing it away, and eating the greasy box.

it was sad.

:cry:

steve

PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2020 1:20 am 

Normally, they can get about 6 '50s songs on one side of an LP. Sometimes you see disks with 10 or so songs on one side. These frequently are edited, with some verses cut out.