Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 1:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blues on the radio
PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 9:48 pm 

If there are blues fans out there, I'll point you toward a weekly Sunday night show, three hours of blues, R&B, and related music on WCMU FM, from Central Michigan Univ. It's called "The Juke Joint" and its host, Robert Barclay, has been putting it on every Sunday night for 35 years (!!) as a volunteer (!!!). He knows a lot about the music and the musicians. He was a university photographer and he used his skills to document many musicians in pictures (not available via radio!), and also in audio interviews. My favored listening mode is over the air, but anybody beyond the range of WCMU's series of transmitters can stream it. Do a search on "WCMU" and choose public radio and you'll find the streaming option. Robert, aka "The Duke of Juke," loves to get e-mails from listeners telling where they're listening and he'll acknowledge your contact on the air.

Chris Campbell

Post subject: Re: Blues on the radio
PostPosted: Apr Mon 27, 2020 2:37 am 

There's also The Blues Show every Saturday night on WXPN. You can listen online at XPN.ORG

PostPosted: Apr Mon 27, 2020 3:26 am 

I like the old blues but also like modern blues.

Check out Bellyup4Blues.com

PostPosted: Apr Mon 27, 2020 8:21 am 

I like the old blues the best.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 27, 2020 1:48 pm 

WWOZ FM and on-line at wwoz.org has numerous blues programs throughout the day and the week as well as jazz programming.

The WWOZ program guide gives specific times and days. I stream this for rebroadcast on my AM and FM low power transmitters at home.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2020 12:02 am 

A local PBS station (WGVU) in Grand Rapids, MI used to have a 2 hour blues show on Saturday night. IIRC, it was from 8 to 10 pm. I haven't listened to that station in years, so I don't know if it's even in the sked anymore.
RW

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2020 12:49 am 

First of all, radiowizard, I like your carferry photo. My father proposed to my mother crossing Lake Michigan on one of the carferries. I always encourage my friends from elsewhere to cross the lake on a ferry instead of driving around. Most of them are not prepared for losing sight of shore as they cross. And for those of you not from the Great Lakes, a "carferry" originally meant "railroad cars," not automobiles.

But back to the point. The great virtue of Robert Barclay's "The Juke Joint" program is that he knows so much about the music and the musicians. Be it old blues or new blues or blues-related music like gospel or rock, he knows something about it. He has annual Elvis' birthday (rock), ML King Jr. birthday (gospel), and similar shows but mostly he just plays an assortment, old and new, electric and acoustic, with interview excerpts thrown in. The shows are all available for streaming for to weeks after broadcast. Me, I like the notion of grabbing a signal from the air, so I listen on the radio.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2020 1:13 am 

That is the Chief Wawatam. I last saw it underway back in 1975.
RW

PostPosted: Apr Wed 29, 2020 11:16 pm 

A friend of mine was allowed aboard the Chief before she as scrapped--cut down for a barge, actually--to do some video documentation. I think he did it for the Mich. Maritime Museum but maybe for the archives at Alpena or Bowling Green.

Long ago I was headed for a conference in Milwaukee with a colleague. I was driving and proposed that we take the carferry across. He made all manner of excuses and counter-proposed that we take the ferry back home instead. OK, we drove around via Chicago, long & tedious. Then it was time to head home and he got nervous again. But we showed up early for the ferry and waited in line. The ferry pulled in and they began unloading the railroad cars. My colleague let out a huge sigh of relief and confessed that he had imagined that the ferry was a few cars strapped on the deck of a cabin cruiser. Once he saw railroad cars unloading, he know this was a serious vessel. Most people have no idea of the great heritage of winter navigation on those boats.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2020 4:19 am 

Here's a note about this week's Juke Joint blues show, a re-run because of the pandemic:

This week's show originally aired on November 17, 2019. Sunday night on "The Juke Joint" broadcast I will do a tribute to songwriter Otis Blackwell. He wrote songs that were hits for Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Willie John, Dee Clark, Solomon Burke and Del Shannon. Join me Sunday from 8:00-11:00 pm eastern time on WCMU Public Radio and online: radio.wcmu.org

I'll be listening.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: May Thu 28, 2020 12:11 pm 

All my life I wasn't a Blues fan, but some time ago I understood it's one of the nicest genre. So, I'd like to say you thanks for the useful information!

PostPosted: May Fri 29, 2020 11:22 pm 

Well, remember to check in Sunday evening, by radio if you are in Michigan, or online everywhere else. It's fun to listen because Robert Barclay, "The Duke of Juke," knows so much about the music and the musicians.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: May Sat 30, 2020 4:22 am 

Thanks for the heads up. I copied the following from Wkipedia.

Otis Blackwell (February 16, 1931 – May 6, 2002) was an American songwriter, singer, and pianist, whose work influenced rock and roll. His compositions include "Fever", recorded by Little Willie John (- also Peggy Lee); "Great Balls of Fire" and "Breathless", recorded by Jerry Lee Lewis; "Don't Be Cruel", "All Shook Up" and "Return to Sender" (with Winfield Scott), recorded by Elvis Presley; and "Handy Man", recorded by Jimmy Jones.

PostPosted: May Sat 30, 2020 5:39 pm 

"All Shook Up" in the Elvis version was one of the first records I bought. You can see it playing on my little restored record player here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrc0enXp8AY&t=13s

Elvis starts singing at about 3:45. Not quite hi-fi....

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2020 1:43 am 

I'll bump this one because tomorrow night is Sunday night, and I spend 8-11 p.m. at The Juke Joint. Those of you not lucky enough to live in Michigan, most of which is within the range of a WCMU transmitter, can listen online b following the links. The most has been doing this show for about 35 years as a volunteer. He loves the music and the musicians so he spends every Sunday night sharing music and interviews and his knowledge with us.

Chris Campbell