Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Clair de Lune
PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 12:16 am 

A favourite of mine and incorporated into a classic tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNcsUNKlAKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qYL8kPAqls

Post subject: Re: Clair de Lune
PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 9:50 am 

Thanks for posting that. In my opinion, Claire de Lune is the most beautiful piece of piano music ever written. The graphics were a nice tasteful complement to the performance.

Musical Trivia: Clair de Lune is written in atypical 9/8 time which may account for its ethereal sound.

I'm a big fan of the composers from the end of the 19th century to the early part of the 20th century, many of them French: Debussy, Satie, Saint-Saens, Fauré, Joplin.

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 2:32 pm 

Leopold Stokowski wrote a beautiful orchestral arrangement of Clair de Lune. Here's his 1937 recording of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMjfPPMKK0

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 4:31 pm 

Dennis DeYoung told the story of his WW2 vet father staying in some civilians house somewhere in Europe during part of the war. One of the residents was a classic trained pianist and would play for the soldiers every evening and that song was his favourite. I believe that is why he opens the song "Ballerina" with it.

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 9:57 pm 

tbone8 wrote:
Dennis DeYoung told the story of his WW2 vet father staying in some civilians house somewhere in Europe during part of the war. One of the residents was a classic trained pianist and would play for the soldiers every evening and that song was his favourite. I believe that is why he opens the song "Ballerina" with it.

Styx included Clair de Lune on "Equinox", last track.......

They also did a cover of the chorus from Handel's Messiah on Serpent is Rising..... :P

Semper DDY.....I'm loving his recent YT performances.....

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 10:47 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
tbone8 wrote:

Styx included Clair de Lune on "Equinox", last track.......

They also did a cover of the chorus from Handel's Messiah on Serpent is Rising..... :P

Semper DDY.....I'm loving his recent YT performances.....

Clair de Lune is the last track on Crystal Ball. :) Serpent is Rising is actually of of my favourite albums, it's very musical to me and that Hallelujah Chorus is really cool. 8) Not sure why that album gets so little recognition, even DDY said it's the worst produced album ever...

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 11:31 pm 

Styx Hallelujah Chorus in case anyone interested, tiz very good. John Curulewski really hits a high note in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AXPfjyHRkI

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 1:20 am 

That is also my favorite tune, would like it played at my funeral. Debussy is one of my favorite composers too. Here is a very early synthesizer performance by Isao Tomita Play with good headphones or speakers! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlCzO0GX_bA

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 5:45 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Lou deGonzague wrote:
Here is a very early synthesizer performance by Isao Tomita.
I had that on a quad reel as a kid (actually my uncle got it free with the deck but after he got tapes more to his own liking he gave it to me and I about wore this through to the other side - same with the quad version of Switched On Bach).

Now it's come back again remastered in full 4.0 surround the same as an increasingly diverse catalog along with previously unreleased material.
Ken Doyle wrote:
Leopold Stokowski wrote a beautiful orchestral arrangement of Clair de Lune. Here's his 1937 recording of it.
The stereo version was recorded eighteen months later for Fantasia but the animation didn't see release until Make Mine Music while the stereophonic audio was thought to be lost until being rediscovered a few years after the 50th Anniversary Fantasia restoration in 1990.

Originally placed between Rite of Spring and Night on Bald Mountain, the piece would have served as one of two bookends framing the latter piece, the other being Ave Maria, however the number was cut for time. Especially with the advent of digital editing, many cinephiles have now reassembled the short back into the film in its' originally-intended location to create a new level of enjoyment.

The recording however as is his performance of Ave Maria for the same picture remains one of the most beautiful renditions ever recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpuXeynA4VM

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 9:03 am 

Have 2 78 records of it with the RCA Victor label. Both are on the Piano. Probably one of the best musical compositions.

PostPosted: May Sun 10, 2020 7:12 pm 

I would Clair de Lune along with Ave Maria for the most ethereal melodies ever written.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 6:00 am 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
That is also my favorite tune, would like it played at my funeral. Debussy is one of my favorite composers too. Here is a very early synthesizer performance by Isao Tomita Play with good headphones or speakers! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlCzO0GX_bA

Many years ago I was driving home from my parent's place—a three hour highway drive. It was Sunday night and the classical AM station was playing the entire Tomita album. A couple of days later I went to the record store and bought it. On vinyl of course. I still have it, but haven't played it in a long time.

BTW tbone8, I'm impressed that you're in Indiana and you've heard of Brent Butt. Did you watch Corner Gas? I used to live close to where they shot that show.

PostPosted: May Mon 11, 2020 4:45 pm 

BobWeaver wrote:

BTW tbone8, I'm impressed that you're in Indiana and you've heard of Brent Butt. Did you watch Corner Gas? I used to live close to where they shot that show.

Every episode, even the cartoon version. The comedic genius in that show is unparalleled. :D Some of my favourite quotes:

You couldn’t get a dog to lick u if u were covered in gravy.
Tastes like u beat a skunk to death with a salmon.
Practice is good in theory, but in reality, it just tires us out.
This is not aboot revenge, its aboot getting even.

Attachment:
oscar.jpg
oscar.jpg [ 96.54 KiB | Viewed 1525 times ]