Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Rant on Music
PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 7:37 pm 

So here is one of the Most popular song, according the Billboard. It is called, "The Box". I listen to the song, read the Lyrics, and find it tasteless (As Lily Tomlin would put it). I am going to rant each subject.

Here is a censored version of the song. I didn't want to post it here, as it is a family-friendly page: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/lyrics/8546850/roddy-ricch-the-box-lyrics

What ever happened to songs, not demeaning of the police and our country. Frank Sinatra sang a song called "That's America to me." Very Patriotic. This 'Box' song? Trash.

Also, what happened to "Non-obscene" content in music? Remember "I want to hold your hand" by the Beatles? Now its just sex, violence, drugs, and sex again.

It is just very dark, with no good to it. I have no Idea on why people would want to listen to a song about criminals, crime, and other stuff. Who writes this stuff? Some ***** on the street who listens to criminal conversations and writes them down as music? People need to come up with better lyrics, that are classier than these, and contain no crime and obscenity.

And for the actual music part, What music? It sounds like a squeaky, popping hunk o' junk car. No music to it at all. Harry James, Glenn Miller, Paul Whitman, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw, Bill Haley, The Beatles, (And their orchestras, or in case of Bill Haley, his Comets, and the Beatles none), could make go round and round better than any modern artist today. Modern Artists don't use real instruments like the people above did. Their only guide to this music is the computer. They don't want the trouble of making music using instruments, and hard work writing songs on paper, as the artist above did.

As Irving Berlin once said, "It's the lyrics that makes a song a hit, although the tune, of course, is what makes it last."

That is my rant. I hope you folks won't mind, and I apologize if a rant like this has been already posted. I just had to get it out.

Post subject: Re: A Rant on Music
PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 7:49 pm 

You poor old thing... :)
Here's a little tune to cheer you up.

Post subject: Whatever happened to music?
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=291177

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27WQZHAiYA

Greg.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 7:50 pm 

Pretty sure that back in the 1940's many parents out there thought big band music was the work of the devil and a sure sign that the nation's youth was surely going down the path to ruin. Just as how several decades before people were aghast at this new stuff called "Jazz". Ironic that Jazz is now something white suburban and upper class folks choose to listen to in their BMWs or Bang and Olsen stereos.

My favorite saying of all time that can literally be applied to anything is something that Duke Ellington said: " If it sounds good, it IS good."

I mean personally I can't stand the grateful dead, Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan. But others do and I assume they don't like some of the stuff I like either. So if you like Frank Sinatra then great. Others like the music you mentioned and that's fine too.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 7:54 pm 

Thanks Greg.
That post is very old, so no wonder I couldn't find it.

I guess every generation has to say about modern Music. But I am 17, so that is sayin something

Here is a Quote from Dick Clark:
"I was roundly criticized for being in and around rock and roll music at its inception. It was the devil's music, it would make your teeth fall out and your hair turn blue, whatever the hell. You get through that."

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 7:57 pm 

Interestingly, the very same people who complain about 'political correctness' and the 'constant threat to our rights' also often rail about modern art forms.

That said, profanity and disrespect to our institutions is a poor substitute for what the founding fathers had in mind when they fought for our freedoms, IMO.

...but you can't have the good without the bad. That's the bargain, IMO.

Last edited by Sol on May Wed 20, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 7:57 pm 

Gee... 17 is old dude, I'm 9 and 3/4 lol

Greg.
oh... fyi
there ain't nothin' wrong with Tupac or Missy Elliott... 8)

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 8:02 pm 

It seems to me that every generation's music pushes the limits further each time. Some of those limits move into distasteful.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 8:24 pm 

Dennis H. wrote:
It seems to me that every generation's music pushes the limits further each time. Some of those limits move into distasteful.

And of all those previous generations... only memories remain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwA0FhHnpas&list=PLAQFxCAFVyNeytKNUAen_jts02ZQ1K3Cd

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 8:29 pm 

Memories, sweetened through the ages just like wine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_uN4WNpABY

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 8:40 pm 

Sol wrote:
Interestingly, the very same people who complain about 'political correctness' and the 'constant threat to our rights' also often rail about modern art forms.

That said, profanity and disrespect to our institutions is a poor substitute for what the founding fathers had in mind when they fought for our freedoms, IMO.

Hmmm... Those would be the same founding fathers who occasionally took to the dueling grounds to settle disagreements among gentlemen, didn't much buy into universal education, practiced slavery....?

Not that they didn't also give birth to the only true democracy of their era, and in brilliant fashion. But they, too, were products of their time. Not gods. There's a tendency to speak of them as if every word each of them uttered was a pearl.

Alan, this isn't too political, I hope.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 8:47 pm 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
Memories, sweetened through the ages just like wine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_uN4WNpABY

How green was my valley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD__QQvknXU

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 8:48 pm 

Avery wrote:
Sol wrote:

Hmmm... Those would be the same founding fathers who occasionally took to the dueling grounds to settle disagreements among gentlemen, didn't much buy into universal education, practiced slavery....?

Not that they didn't also give birth to the only true democracy of their era, and in brilliant fashion. But they, too, were products of their time. Not gods. There's a tendency to speak of them as if every word each of them uttered was a pearl.

Alan, this isn't too political, I hope.

Yes, times have changed - and oh, how they've stayed the same. :(

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 8:54 pm 

+1

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 9:12 pm 

One thing about music - - - years ago, it took some amount of talent to produce it. And lots of disciplined practice. A baroque violinist might practice the same piece for years before being judged competent to perform it in public. Fast forward to the big band era; every musician, conductor, arranger and soloist took many years of practice to reach a decent performance level. Do you think Chuck Berry just picked up a guitar and started making records? Nope - - many years of sweat, practice, and dedication.

Nowadays? A keyboard and computer can turn anyone into a "musician", from the comfort of their basement. No lessons needed, no practice required, completely devoid of discipline. All you gotta do is make a sound similar to someone else's and tweak it a little. That's it. Oh, and some effective marketing as well. Don't get me wrong - - there's still a lot of real talent out there - - but it's often overshadowed by the marketing buzzsaws, PR image builders, and accountants.

Dan

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 9:16 pm 

You ain't gone far enough
You ain't worked hard enough
You ain't run far enough to say
It ain't gonna get any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4SGV5WLVFE

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 9:18 pm 

Quote:
One thing about music - - - years ago, it took some amount of talent to produce it. And lots of disciplined practice. A baroque violinist might practice the same piece for years before being judged competent to perform it in public. Fast forward to the big band era; every musician, conductor, arranger and soloist took many years of practice to reach a decent performance level. Do you think Chuck Berry just picked up a guitar and started making records? Nope - - many years of sweat, practice, and dedication.

This is true. No one can go up to the top with hard work anymore. Back in the day (If you had Talent and worked hard), you could go to Paul Whiteman and see if you could play. This is how many band leaders got to fame.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 9:21 pm 

How does someone like Billie Elish win five Grammys in 2019 including Record of the Year for "Bad Guy" (below ) while someone like Karen Carpenter only won three during her entire career. Seriously
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/artists/billie-eilish

Bad Guy (eek)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyDfgMOUjCI

Ken

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 9:29 pm 

Eek is right! Scary.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 9:56 pm 

So now ***** noise passes as music and tops the charts. Obscenity passes as art. Include me out.

Lock the thread now before it gets worse; since many discussions these days move to politics or racism accusations or some other issue.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 9:58 pm 

Kids these days are much more competent with their particular instruments than ever because of the music schools and internet instruction . If you don't know that you don't play an instrument.

Last edited by davep on May Wed 20, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.