Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Rant on Music
PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 10:06 pm 

I guess I am not one to condemn most music, if I don't like it, I don't listen to it. However that is impossible sometimes when people insist on imposing their taste or lack of, on the people around them in public. I have lived long enough to see the limits of music pushed pretty far. The question is, is there such a thing as too far, or is that a moving goalpost? IF the plan is for music to get nastier and nastier to outdo the already nasty so-called music, what will that sound like? Boggles the mind I guess. Sometimes the pendulum swings back in trends and fads, but it has swung pretty far out of sight by now. The thing about it, is that musical media is now out of control. I don't know about the "artists" but the industry cannot keep it profitable when it is online, sells cheap and a billion free copies can be made from one original with no effort, not even the need to go buy blank discs or tapes. So perhaps the trashier it gets, the less profit for the purveyors, which seems right.

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 10:33 pm 

The farthest that music has been pushed, in my opinion, was 4'33" by John Cage. I can imagine that more than one angry listener's response was, "now, there are 4 1/2 minutes of my life that I'll never get back!"

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 10:38 pm 

I knew an A & R guy who worked in the Muscle Shoals music studios. He once told me "Young people will like what we tell them they'll like. We look for a "new" sound- doesn't have to be that good." As a case in point he used the Rolling Stones. His opinion of them as artists was pretty low, but, he maintained, music promoters were looking for the next thing off the boat from England and it happened to be the Stones. I was pretty young and working in radio when he told me all this and I dismissed it as Old Guy rants. BUT- as I get older I look back at what I thought was great stuff and I cringe. Robert Plant? A good singer? Zeppelin was my Rock God band in my youth but now I can't stand to hear Plant's offkey caterwauling. There are a lot of others that I now realize were amateurish at best but they were the background noise of my youth and I still like to listen to most of them- in small doses.
Doc

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 10:38 pm 

I look at the current situation with a bit more optimism. We are, if anything, experiencing nothing less than a sort of renaissance in most forms of media.

It wasn't that long ago that pretty much all of the music on the air or on TV was from a major studio. The studios had an absolute monopoly where they controlled the artists, their contracts, had all of the expensive studios and studio equipment nobody could afford and thus "picked" the music they "thought" the largest quantity of consumers would want to hear. And so as a result what people listened to for the most part was determined by a very small group of industry executives. And it worked for a very long time because again- all avenues into the music producing industry were heavily controlled and manipulated.

Fast forward to now. Anyone with a cheap PC or even a tablet can make whatever music they want. A "studio" is now an office or garage. Youtube, Spotify, and a whole slew of other sites let you upload your music... for free. Potentially millions of people can now see it and if you make what people like, you too can have success and even make a lot of money doing it.

So in other words, we are no longer constrained with what others chose. We can now choose whatever we want. It makes one wonder, had this happened decades ago, who knows how many unknown artists could have risen to fame and added to the history of music?

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 10:42 pm 

Decades ago when rap was new, my favorite thing to tell people in a conversation of it was that when the artist goes into the studio to record they are given a choice of only 10 different beats for the music and that they had to swallow the mic and say yo at least 5 times during the song while grabbing their "you know what". I said this fad can't last because its all the same. Anyone can do it. Boy was I wrong. ( about it going away, the rest is still true )

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 11:10 pm 

I find it endlessly amusing to point out to crap fiends wherever I find one that one of the earliest examples of mainstream talk-music was.. Debbie Harry, a blonde WHITE WOMAN. First, incredulity and denial ensue, a self-protection mechanism for their fragile egos, but it pretty much shuts them the hell up about their ***** idols when they discover the truth.

Idolization is why we hear more of this crap. ***** and criminal behavior are what massive numbers of youths idolize nowadays. It often goes hand in hand with other low self-esteem manifestations of insecurity, such as sleeve tatoos. I'm sure I don't need to point out when this crap trend started, why, and what demographics are most heavily involved. Unless you've been living under a rock for years, you already know.

The criminal, abusive mentality and tendencies of those who listen to crap music also causes them to feel the need to beat everyone else over the head with their non-music. You don't hear people blasting John Gary at their neighbors all night. Nope, it's <insert rap ***** flavor of the week> instead.

You can argue all you want about tolerance for musical tastes, but get real. There's a big difference between prior generations of music and promoting the killing of cops, raping of women, assault & battery, armed robbery, etc. etc.
When was the last time you heard Nat King Cole or Julie Andrews glorifying that type of behavior, hmm?

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2020 11:23 pm 

Exsqueeze me - - I have been known to play Barry Manilow's Copacabana or Neil Diamond's Cracklin Rosie at volume 50... :shock:
as I drive across the grocery store parking lot, taking up, ahem... two parking spaces. lol

No one mentions anything to me - - I wonder why.
Greg.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 12:44 am 

egg wrote:
No one mentions anything to me - - I wonder why.
Greg.

I know why! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 2:04 am 

doc612 wrote:
As I get older I look back at what I thought was great stuff and I cringe. Robert Plant? A good singer? Zeppelin was my Rock God band in my youth but now I can't stand to hear Plant's offkey caterwauling.

Familiarity bred my contempt there. I used to like Zeppelin okay...until the classic rock stations in Fresno seemed to have received instructions from their programming directors to play Zeppelin once an hour. Now I tolerate them, but I'll never put them on the pedestal that so many do.

I almosy universally abhor "music" that's bring recorded today. "Country" is far and away the most insipid. That "party like a redneck" tripe got tiresome almost instantly.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 2:19 am 

...not to mention the 9 million watt stereos, with their invasive "sub" woofers. Home and vehicles.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 2:39 am 

davep wrote:
Kids these days are much more competent with their particular instruments than ever because of the music schools and internet instruction . If you don't know that you don't play an instrument.

I've gotta ask - - where are these competent kids and what are their instruments? Sorry, but I don't see your point. Oh, and I do play several instruments, and have for 60 years, give or take. Actually made money doing so, too. I've also taught private students over the years, and what you say doesn't resonate with my experience.

Dan

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 3:05 am 

Really good music will prevail, somehow. Even if only in your mind. :lol:

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 3:43 am 

I could never understand how we went from songs like " I say a little prayer for you" or instrumental songs like "The horse" or anything from Herb Albert/Tijuana Brass,to the 70's songs,like "Smoking in the boys room". In the 60's you almost never heard a bad song. Regardless of the type of music it was. I sure don't miss the Captain and Tonelle doing "Muskrat Love." From,of course, the 70's! :(

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 4:15 am 

This is why I listen to Wurlitzer band organ arrangements of what was 'pop' music between 1915 and 1930. A) it's good. B) It's new to me.

Along with improvising and polishing harmonies to Beatles and Eagles. And then there's A.E. Chabrier, who in ways out-berrys Chuck, and had been known to destroy pianos in concert. I mean, anyone can smash a guitar, but a PIANO?

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 6:34 am 

The most edgy song I have seen back then was the "Stripper Polka". It was a song about a decent stripper who woulden't "Take it off". Some other edgy ones were the Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka dot Bikini, Makin Whoopie (A slight possible reference to AHEM) and a news report style comedy song that was about a naked man running away in public (Ray Durkee liked to play it sometimes on Sunday at the Memories)

P.S. I don't play any musical instruments, but I know how to play ABC CBA ACB on the Piano, and do play the radio and record player.

P.P.S. I know some guys who take up 2 spots with a Jeep!

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 7:08 am 
Site Admin

1) It wasn't written for you.
2) It's musical style/genre
3) It's poetry. It's art. It's music. Even if you don't like it.
4) Creative people often push the envelope. Think Allen Ginsburg, Lenny Bruce. Scandalous at the time. Mostly "bleech" now.

My father used to tell me about how his mother though that Glenn Miller's music was just "too wild".

btw, if you haven't heard the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuaH_9AWaSU

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 7:35 am 

Maybe. However, Lenny Bruce was blacklisted from television, and was arrested for much obscenity charges. Milton Berle Challenged people like Lenny and Allen Ginsburg on creating comedy without the four letter words.

People like the folks above, and live the lifestyle like them mostly end in an early death.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Ginsberg was a poet, not a comedian. Perhaps Milton ("the thief of bad gag") was upset that he couldn't steal off the color material?

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 7:55 am 

I have no Idea. Milton Berle away from Television and being recorded had a very colorful vocabulary, but when on television and being recorded, he was clean. He also never did drugs. See, that being decent. Only if some performers could do that today.

PostPosted: May Thu 21, 2020 7:57 am 

Hip-hop isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but there is some music in a lot of it here and there. For a while in the 00's it was mostly a drum machine with a guy swearing over it. Now they've injected more keyboards and actual chords.

The genre of music represented in the link at the top of this thread is more popular than any other form of music right now aside from modern country music, which nowadays has hip-hop and rap elements.

Being a rock guy, I did like some of the early rap that came out in the late 1980's / early 1990's. There was some creativity in the use of the music tracks and samples, and a lot of the lyrical content was genuine anger about the areas the rappers in question either grew up in, or lived in. After a while, it got to repeat itself. Which happens in genres.

I prefer rock music, of course, and some blues, and those genres will always be around, although they are no longer very popular when you look at what sells.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next