Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Rant on Music
PostPosted: Sep Tue 01, 2020 1:56 am 

The thing is that 90% of everything is crap. Music, art, books, people, TV, movies, everything. It has always been that way and always will be. Conversely, 10% of everything is good. I find something good in pretty much every genre. Often it isn't my cup of tea but I can respect the talent it takes. Just the other day we were listening to the Swingle Singers on LP because we were digging through some records we inherited from my wife's mother. Those folks can sing! It takes real talent to do what they do. I don't like it per se but I can recognize what skill it takes to make that music.

Even rap and hip hop have their moments. Check out the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy if you want some intelligent social commentary. It is so easy for any of us to condemn what we don't understand. But we may not have walked a mile in those shoes so what do we know about it?

In any case, just relax and enjoy the 10% of whatever you like and feel free to ignore the rest. And get off my lawn while you do it!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 01, 2020 5:39 am 

Not a fan of modern music, but I do like Al Yankovic, because he is very funny. One of my Favorite: Amish Paradise

PostPosted: Sep Mon 14, 2020 8:26 pm 

Mr. Highlander wrote:
I happened to stumble on another piece of music by some rapper. The song is called TROLLZ, by 6ix 9ine (That name just confuses me every time) and Nicki Minaj. I watched it, but it is trash.
Hey, at least the video has kittens in it :wink:.

The basic criterion I use for a piece of music is this: if there's nothing moving about it and I can play or replicate it myself, it's not worth my time (and I am no musician) :).

PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 3:21 am 

I remember reading in the Guinness Book of world records that at one time "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby was the most successful song of all time. Supposedly one of Glen Campbell's songs, Galveston? was the most played song on the radio. I don't know. The most successful Motown song ever was "I heard it through the grapevine " ,by Marvin Gaye. The most successful Temptations song was "I can't get next to you ". Most successful Rolling Stones song, "Honkey tonk woman. "

PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2020 3:40 am 

I listened and learned to all of those records on Sunday at the Memories. They seem to be one heckofalotbetter than all the stuff they produce now.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 3:25 am 

FYI, the instrumental bit of "Galveston" is Glenn Campbell himself picking out the melody on a Fender Bass VI, 6 string bass or "low guitar". I think that was the hook that made DJ's want it on their playlists. I think the song writer was Jimmy Webb, correct me if you can.

"Honky Tonk Woman" features Keith Richards on a open-tuned 5-string Fender Telecaster. Try it with a guitar in D tuning.
Even if you're sloppy, it will sound good.

The Funk Brothers provided backup for both of those Motown hits and dozens if not hundreds of others. Watch the video or get the album "Standing In the Shadows of Motown".

That leaves the Bing Crosby hit from the era of dreamy crooners, and no doubt, he was tops. I think it became a goal for pop artists to hit the airwaves every year with a Christmas hit, but Bing takes top honors with "White Christmas", theme from the movie.
"Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland" is also in the movie. Perfect for the Bing Christmas album, as soon as they invented the LP, that is. :lol:

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 2:46 am 

I always loved the awesome intro into "Uptight " by Stevie Wonder. The drums,bass, lead guitar and horns are incredible.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 4:19 am 

Well, I can't stand most "modern" music...hip hop/rap (stupid, no talent "artists"), newer country, which is just twanged up rock and roll, top 40, adult contemporary. I don't like "praise" songs, or snarkily called 7-11, seven word lyrics, sung eleven times.
HOWEVER, I like music from the 1930s up 80's "big hair" bands. Sub genres would be crime jazz (TV/movies), exotica (think Martin Denny, Les Baxter), classical and theater organ music. Pipe and Drum (Black Watch, for example); Steel drum bands, sitar, Hawaiian (real Hawaiian artists). old Western Swing, Bluegrass, old country (Hank Sr, and the like).
RW

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 12:34 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
westcoastjohn wrote:
FYI, the instrumental bit of "Galveston" is Glenn Campbell himself picking out the melody on a Fender Bass VI, 6 string bass or "low guitar". I think that was the hook that made DJ's want it on their playlists. I think the song writer was Jimmy Webb, correct me if you can.

"Honky Tonk Woman" features Keith Richards on a open-tuned 5-string Fender Telecaster. Try it with a guitar in D tuning.
Even if you're sloppy, it will sound good.

The Funk Brothers provided backup for both of those Motown hits and dozens if not hundreds of others. Watch the video or get the album "Standing In the Shadows of Motown".

That leaves the Bing Crosby hit from the era of dreamy crooners, and no doubt, he was tops. I think it became a goal for pop artists to hit the airwaves every year with a Christmas hit, but Bing takes top honors with "White Christmas", theme from the movie.
"Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland" is also in the movie. Perfect for the Bing Christmas album, as soon as they invented the LP, that is. :lol:

"Standing In The Shadows of Motown" is one of my favourite music video/documentaries. I watched it on TV and liked it so much that I bought it .... and that's rare for me. Another one is "A Black and White Night". I won't tell about it and spoil it .... look it up, and "A Concert for George", another good one.

My two favourite performers on the Motown documentary are "Bootsie Collins" and "Joan Osborne". That Joan Osborne can sing!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 15, 2020 8:58 am 

Go ahead and call me a luddite or a stick-in-the-mud if you wish, but I find little of redeeming value in 'modern' music ... and in fact I can't bear to listen to most of it. (Sometimes it's hard to avoid when stopped at a red traffic signal and the driver of an adjacent vehicle has their system pumping out hundreds of watts' worth of window-rattling sound. IMO some of that material sounds like it might be a good random vibration input for a shaker table in an environmental testing lab.) Give me the structural and harmonic beauty borne down to us from the hard work of greats of years past. Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Bruch, Rachmaninoff. OK, I'll be quiet now.
R/ John

PostPosted: Oct Thu 15, 2020 4:32 pm 

UV201 wrote:
Go ahead and call me a luddite or a stick-in-the-mud if you wish, but I find little of redeeming value in 'modern' music ... and in fact I can't bear to listen to most of it. (Sometimes it's hard to avoid when stopped at a red traffic signal and the driver of an adjacent vehicle has their system pumping out hundreds of watts' worth of window-rattling sound. IMO some of that material sounds like it might be a good random vibration input for a shaker table in an environmental testing lab.) Give me the structural and harmonic beauty borne down to us from the hard work of greats of years past. Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Bruch, Rachmaninoff. OK, I'll be quiet now.
R/ John

My go-to de-stressing music is Bach; the precision and predictability is very soothing. My headphones (and new earbuds) really appreciate Brandenburg #3. Makes them (and my ears) very happy.

Dan

PostPosted: Oct Thu 15, 2020 7:50 pm 

I like classical too. I like to listen to it, because it brings out the full stereo on the FM radio. It is very soothing, and I sometimes fall asleep to it.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 2:33 am 

Most of my relaxing music is the oft maligned "Beautiful Music." The only classical I have are a few organists.
RW

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 6:20 am 

I have a rough idea of what you mean by "beautiful music" ... probably mostly instrumental, written in a major key, easy to listen to, soothing, not demanding attention. It's likely that its writers originally had grounding in classical music. IMO there is more than enough competing and unsettling noise in this world; some people may malign "beautiful music," but if it soothes or relaxes a person, that's more than OK.
R/ John

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 12:27 pm 

Thos artists would be Percy Faith, Mantovani, Ray Conniff, Jackie Gleason Orchestra, Carmen Cavallaro, etc. And vocalists as well.
RW

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 1:16 pm 

Don't forget the 101 Strings Orchestra, and Living Strings Orchestra - - they got a lot of airtime back "in the day".

Dan

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 2:32 pm 

Have any of you noticed that Sinatra, minus the current criminal / sexual lyrics, sounds very much like rap? He talks more than sings, maybe because of smoking.

Compare the music produced by Motown to the current rap junk, then go look at the what has happened to cities such as Chicago and Detroit at https://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/20 ... -Cyril.htm

The decline in music is part of a generalized decline. Of course, the decline over the past 60 years or so is a tiny part of human history, so we can hope, pray, and work to reverse it.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 5:38 pm 

Until his last few albums, Frank Sinatra sang with perfect pitch. Perhaps what you're hearing is his phrasing, which he learned by listening to Tommy Dorsey play the trombone.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 8:43 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Compare the music produced by Motown to the current rap junk, then go look at the what has happened to cities such as Chicago and Detroit at https://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/20 ... -Cyril.htm

The decline in music is part of a generalized decline. Of course, the decline over the past 60 years or so is a tiny part of human history, so we can hope, pray, and work to reverse it.

True Words my Friend!

Ole' Blue Eyes wouldn't sing about a city, if it wasn't great!

Another decline is in Cars. Take a look a Cadillac, The (used to be) standard of the world!. They made great cars, and many parts on the GM line were specifically made for Cadillac. In fact, the sheet metal was thicker on Cadillac, compared to other GM brands such as Buick, and Chevy. But in the late 70's GM cheapened Cadillac, and the company declined. They were no longer the standard of the world, and they still are today.

Don't even get me started on Ford...

Yes, I hope it gets reversed.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 16, 2020 11:33 pm 

Today's cars/SUVs are all clones. BORING. And so many are dull colors.
RW

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next