Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What separates a good/above average musician from a grea
PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2020 5:07 am 

I would suppose the more you're in demand, might mean you're more talented. I never knew until I heard a dj say on WSM,that the Jourdinaires used to record in Nashville 3 or 4 sessions a day, every day of the week. That's in demand!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 4:07 am 

Right, to be considered great, you need to be known, that is, have a fan base, or for a studio musician, have producers or singers asking for you.
You might BE great, but nobody knows it until you get out there and prove it.

A great musician can pick up an instrument and make it sing, like the guitar or the horn is his voice, and it's recognizable.
A great studio musician can be handed a sheet of music and he knows what his part will be in that tune, what notes to play when and how. Some are able to produce a sound or tone that fits the music of the day, like when Vinnie Bell was working at a studio in New York. He would fly to LA for a few sessions because a record producer wanted that same sound that he heard in some recording. This happened enough that he kept guitars in both cities.
I have no idea how this is done now, synthesizers and computer programs have changed all that.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 11:19 am 

There's technical proficiency. There's also imagination, that 'strikes a chord' with a large number of listeners.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 2:57 pm 

'Do you read literature Greg?' 'no... I prefer to read a good book'.

Wanna tell you story
About woman I know
When it comes to lovin'
She steals the show

Meet Gabriella Quevedo. Self taught from the age of 12, doesn't know any formal music theory!
(Dire Straits) Sultans of Swing - Gabriella Quevedo - YouTube
Watch
: 5:42 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqfHLsT1b0o

If you poke around her channel, you will see her microphone/s setup in her father's small home recording studio. As a guitarist you will appreciate how many hours that she has put in over the years.
Attachment:
Gabriella.png
Gabriella.png [ 48.68 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Greg.

------------

Download video from Youtube
https://x2convert.com/LinkYoutube
360p (mp4) or 480p is good enough.
name your downloaded file to end with .mp4

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 4:20 pm 

GREG, all I have to say is thanks for that link. I was a self taught finger style/flamenco player in my younger days and that gal blows me away. A link to her stuff is now on my favorites.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 4:20 pm 

It's certainly one of those intangibles, or "lightning in a bottle", and having dabbled in guitar a little bit I've pondered this a bit. Technical proficiency is part of it, no doubt, though it is not the sole factor. There is a soul factor involved too. Being able to play a bazillion notes at lightning speed isn't "it" either. And one thing I've noticed, when somebody says a tune is "easy", often as not they don't play it particularly well, hack at it like chainsaw, and often not even in tune.

There are tunes on guitar that are literally only one chord that have complex picking patterns and take years of practice to sound right. I've noticed that popular performers usually have distinctive styles and tone, they may not always be especially accomplished or a stellar performer from a purely technical perspective, but they know how get a lot of mileage out of the notes and chords they play, set a hook, and are instantly recognizeable. It is very difficult to emulate certain iconic or classic recordings by performers, everyone sounds a bit different. Equipment is only part of it.

Something else to consider it's one thing to spend ten years and learn a tune note for note, the real wonder to me is writing those tunes in the first place.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 5:16 pm 

Unfortunately the OP GeorgeLuis is a spammer.
His three posting across arf have been edited to include SPAM links.

:shock: Greg.
I will re-post Gabriella's link.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 3:08 am 

There's also the matter of performance style. I once worked with a woman whose husband was a musician. He played a number of instruments but mostly guitar. She told me that one time he did an experiment. One night while he played he just stood still; audience response was ho-hum. The next night he played the same song but moved to the music; the audience loved it.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 12, 2020 12:58 am 

As you may have noticed on alot of vintage music, Many of the musicians were just barely accomplished or not exactly super musicians. Apparently it is the song, not the performer. Alot of big hits and one hit wonders found that diamond in the coal mine and made a name for themselves without being at the top of their art. Some superb musicians do covers or attempt to write something but end up in obscurity, never finding that glittery stone. And usually you don't know it is a hit till the public lets you know.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 13, 2020 11:51 pm 

wazz wrote:
Apparently it is the song, not the performer.

Sometimes but not always. The quality of performance might be flawed but sometimes the performer's personality shines thru, he gets air-time and gets a better producer, bingo. Studio musicians are called in, and the artist works on his technique while touring.

But that was then, this is now, music is created and stored in the cloud, black chips on a motherboard that shape the music.

Yes, we know this thread was started by a troll. Thanks to the mods for skimming away the scum layer. 8)

PostPosted: Nov Sun 15, 2020 7:46 am 

I'm not exactly sure what the answer is to "what separates the good from the great," but when it comes to music the ears usually distinguish the two. During the pandemic I've been watching movies on the computer (not the best way) and last week I got saw an ad for the restored version of "Jazz on a Summer's Day," a film of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. OK, get out the credit card....

There's a microbrewery downstairs from my office and pre-pandemic I'd often be leaving after their music started. They had a jazz group once a week or so. And the music was fairly dull. Actually, really dull. It always left me thinking about the difference between OK, competent and wow, great.

The film about Newport prompted the thought that these are all obviously major creative minds. It features a variety of styles--Jimmy Giuffre, Thelonious Monk,George Shearing, Sonny Stitt, Dinah Washington, Gerry Mulligan, Big Maybelle, Chico Hamilton, Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, and Mahalia Jackson, all displaying musicianship of a high order. None of them are dull. You just know that these are greats by their skill and creativity. But the one that really made me say "wow" was Anita O'Day. Her performance is just stunning. These are all people who are not just competent but first-rate.

People who are at the top of their fields often make their job seem effortless. Especially with music, we on the outside often attribute their good work to a gift. It must be innate. But in truth most really good musicians make it look effortless by practicing for extended periods. They nurture their gifts. It's hard work. It's also mostly invisible. I was in a high school concert band. I hated practicing and didn't do much of it. I was a lousy player. Making music was the best hour of my high school day but it still didn't motivate me to spend enough time becoming good. Malcom Gladwell wrote about the 10,000 hour rule. While we can quibble about the exact number of hours, he had the general notion right.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Nov Sun 15, 2020 7:57 am 

This young lady impressed me with her version of Radio Head's "Creep"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDjlaN-X8-0

more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWP0-68lZ5s